Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4 Points University Plaza, Tucson, AZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2001, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold

Have to take my son U of A in Tucson in Aug. Only "major" I can find with availability near the U is this hotel. Is it any good - its $89 a nite which seems high for Tucson in aug - any better suggestions - the Marriot on campus is booked. If I get a comped Starwood Platinum what should I expect

TIA
Old Jul 14, 2001, 11:24 am

The Four Points near campus is the former Plaza Hotel. I do not know if any improvements have been made. Possibly the only upgrades would be to upper floors.
Part of the reason for the higher price is the proximity to campus. The Four Points and the Marriott are the only hotels within walking distance of campus. Also, in the past when it was the Plaza, this hotel was used to house the football team during practice and it even has been used as a temporary dorm at times (Warning!Warning!) Other options, if you are looking for a Starwood property would be the Sheraton on Grant next to Tucson Medical Center, formerly a Park Inn about 5 miles from campus(but definitely a step up from any Four Points), The Sheraton El Conquistador Resort (Resort Property) about 12 miles from campus, or the Four Points downtown (Freeway location) older, cheaper, but recently renovated, about 3 miles from campus. The cheapest would be the downtown Four Points, the most expensive would be the Resort.

As a note: since I live in Tucson, I have not stayed at any of these properties, but have visited most to visit friends, visit trade shows, eat at the restaurants,etc. My personal choice would be the Sheraton at TMC.
Old Jul 14, 2001, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
I have stayed at all Starwood properties in Tucson, excluding the 4-Points University Plaza. I do know that they only have one suite, and that they are currently renovating it. Thus, any upgrade would be to the top floor.

Another option for a place near campus is the Arizona Inn. It is a wonderful place where the University puts up most of their VIPs from out of town.

Another Starwood option is the Westin La Paloma. Summer rates start at $99 per night. (Though they may be a bit higher for that weekend.) The Westin directly north from the Univ.

The Sheraton on Grant is nice because it includes a breakfast buffet each morning. Nothing fancy, but they have eggs, bacon, potatoes, pastries, cereal, oatmeal, etc...

Let us know what you decide...
Old Jul 14, 2001, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Thanks for the suggestions- the Arizona Inn looked marvelous on the web site but was of course sold out <g>

I will be traveling with my daughter (15) and my sons girlfriend. Based on that should I try for the Westin or the Sheraton on Grand. My son , of course, will be moving into the dorm.

I really appreciate all the input, I had not been in Tucson for more yrs than I would like to disclose when I took my son down for orientation and am sure that parts of town that were good and bad when I was there have long since changed. I do not want to be too far from campus and my purpose is to help him get settled into his dorm room
Old Dec 6, 2001, 11:26 am

How's Four Points at University Plaza,Tucson,Az?

Has anyone stayed there before. looks like the rate is pretty good comparing with the Doubletree down the road. Plus. this hotel is alot closer to Downtown.

Appreciate your comments

------------------
Regards,

Al
Old Dec 6, 2001, 10:20 pm

While I have not stayed there, I am a local Tucsonan. The University Plaza 4 Points is a fairly new Starwood Property. It previously was the Plaza Inn (for at least the past 10 years.) The location is right by the University of Arizona. (Which can be good or bad) Typical restaurants within walking distance. Although I would caution about staying there when the U of A has a home Basketball Game.

If you are looking for downtown, the Four Points on the Freeway is much much closer to downtown, but it is on the Freeway. The rooms are a little tired except for the Suites. There is a Bennigans on property.

For classier Starwood Properties in Tucson, you have the Westin La Paloma (very nice), the Sheraton El Conquistador Resort, and the Sheraton on Grant (formerly a Park Inn and next to the Medical Center.

hope this helps.
Old Dec 7, 2001, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
I have stayed at the 4Point Univ. Plaza. They renovated the hotel before it took on the 4Points brand. When I stayed, I got a suite upgrade, which was lucky since they only have one.

All of the rooms on the top floor looked very nice. I was not expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised. The beds were much more comfortable than I though they would be.

If you are on the top floor (usually $10 more per night), then you have a balcony either facing the mountains towards the north or the city towards the south.

There is a DTree on Alvernon that is closer to downtown, and has a club lounge. With your HH Diamond status, you should be able to get the upgrade easily.

You may want to check out the Arizona Inn. The bad part is that you won't get any frequent guest points or frequent flier miles staying there, though it is the nicest property near the university.

Also, if you want to be downtown, there is a new Radisson right in the heart of downtown. It used to be a Holiday Inn, though has been completely renovated. I know that they have a club lounge as well, though have never stayed there.

There is also a Clarion downtown that is an old historic hotel. It has one of Tucson's top restaurant's in it (Cafe Poca Cosa), though I have never stayed. The photos of the suites look very nice, though.

If you decide that you might like to try the Clarion, let me know as I may be able to get you a better rate than ones available online.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:05 pm

I would second the suggestion of the Doubletree on Alvernon. Across from Randolph Golf Course. Classy restaurant (and a fairly good bar/lounge if you prefer more casual.(
Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:18 am

Programs: AC,SWA,*W PLAT
Avoid 4pnts Tucson.....

First let me say i am here due a meeting across the street for 2 days.....

First and last stay

This place is DIRTY!!!

Stained carpet, NO POWER OUTLET on desk, heating control from 70's, TV has that dark hue from too many years.... ++

No airport shuttle

They tiled the elevator over and you can see accents of tile in places, but all they did was try to cover up spots....

Did i say it was dirty.......
Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:06 am
Suspended

If the op is about 4 points by tucson university plaza, i would second it.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I would third this post... however, I do still stay there when I arrive late in the evening, just to collect the additional "stay" for 500 more bonus points before moving over to the La Paloma.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: AC,SWA,*W PLAT
Originally Posted by icarius
If the op is about 4 points by tucson university plaza, i would second it.
Yes....

Argh!!!! Update.....

The Ironing board is STAINED...... gross...

how the $%# do you not replace the cover of the board.....

And oh how i miss the beloved single cup starbucks machine...
(Maxwell House 4 cup which any beaner will tell you is enough coffee for only 2 cups)

SPG how could you deceive me.... I thought i could believe the pics of your palaces, maybe i shouldn't believe what i read on the internet??
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed there 10+ times in the last 2 months, and the carpets range from disgusting to unbelievable. The first time I walked into my room, I actually walked twice looking for the chalk outline and the police tape.

I believe the property used to be a Kings Inn - I'm guessing that was the last time the carpet was cleaned. I go just for 1 night to get my credit, and then I move to the Sheraton on Grant or the Westin.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Great AAA Rate this Fall

I know the place is a bit of a dump (would it kill them to have the carpets cleaned???) but they have a good deal going if you can stand 2 nights there...

$59/night with a $20 credit to the stay - 2 night minimum. Just booked Nov 2-4 for the UCLA vs UA game.

Good way to take advantage of the 4 pts and Dbl stay promotions still going on.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyingtool
I have stayed there 10+ times in the last 2 months, and the carpets range from disgusting to unbelievable.
I just checked in and found a pile of notes on the front desk re: plans to recarpet top to bottom in the month of November 2007. Not sure how far they have progressed, but the 7th floor (top and SPG-preferred- what a Plat upgrade...) in the hallway and my room are new. Room furniture looks fairly new - and the ironing board cover is fresh.

Maybe somebody actually reads our beefs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.