Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club

As a guy in his mid-twenties, I'm not much of a fan of the "old world" AKA (tired) decoration style that was present at this Westin. I feel really out of place at those stuffy properties. The property did not reflect at all the modern Westin style. If the place is now high tech & modern, I might give it a try.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 30, 2009 at 8:21 am Reason: 2001-6 reports are at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/980257-westin-philadelphia-pa-2001-6-master-thr
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
New photos are up on the SPG.com website, what a change from before... Nice.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jun 9, 2007 at 8:54 pm
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Very short and very nice stay here last week; excellent service (didn't ask for that much), great suite upgrade.

Only drawback is that there weren't cups for the in-room coffee maker, a quick call resolved the issue. Definitely a very postitive experience.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
I stayed here for a couple of days in early August, and had no problems.

It's definately not the cheapest hotel, but everything was good.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Uwishunu Room At Philly Westin

Well I arrived just before midnight a little worried that I wouldn't have a room based on slight difficulty of finding rooms around downtown this week. After a couple of minutes of arithmetic discussion with the taxi driver I was on my way up to the lobby. I've stayed here several times in the past since the hotel itself is elegant and nicely located, but always remember cold, almost unfriendly staff. This night wasn't any different. I basically stood there to wait for my room.

I was very tired so despite getting a room in the 4th floor my disappointment stayed minimal and completely vanished when I walked in and saw a 'theme' room. I remember reading about it somewhere, but have not seen a comment about it even on this thread. To start, it's a spacious king room with all the basic Westin ammenities. The Heavenly bed is obviously wonderful along with the large LCD TV. More especially however is the design of this room with striking wallpaper, hip furnitures, mix of industrial/urban styled light fixtures and unique carpet. As a warning, the room might not appeal to everyone as it is a little dark and eerie at first sight. The wallpaper displays different faces of people whose eyes seem to be looking at you. There is also an intriguing painting of a mechanical/robotic face by the computer desk. Also, the handles for the drawers and towel hooks are designed as golden metallic fingers, yes, fingers! Of course there are also these hands that jut out of bathroom walls which act as holder for some of the toiletries. There's also this painting of a bunny in the bath room, which I think, umm, I guess could be interpreted variedly by different people. The room is indeed funky and different which not only made up for the general unfriendliness of the place, but also offered a refreshing change to generally traditional, bland rooms offered at this property.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
jef7,

Does the hotel now have a lounge that's open on Saturday?
Can you inquire about a cheap parking lot and/or overnight street parking.
If you have Gold/Plat status, how were you treated?

Thanks.

Last edited by dhammer53; Nov 8, 2007 at 12:43 pm
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I've got a slew of nights at this place coming up in the next 7 weeks

as what the above poster said:

1. cheap and relatively close offsite parking
2. any lounge? hours/Weekend availability
3. rooms to inquire about
4. upgrades sound pretty much non existant but for those who did get them please expand
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by dhammer53
jef7,

Does the hotel now have a lounge that's open on Saturday?
Can you inquire about a cheap parking lot and/or overnight street parking.
If you have Gold/Plat status, how were you treated?

Thanks.
Hey I am actually not in the hotel anymore.

I don't think there's a lounge at all. I'm sorry but I can't provide help about the parking. I have no need and prefer not to drive when I'm in Philadelphia. My previous experiences as Gold both in the past and just in this recent stay are both not memorable. Nothing especial treatment-wise as far as I could tell.

Since there is no lounge, for breakfast atleast, I enjoy early morning walk along Rittenhouse Square for a reasonable and beautiful breakfast at La Croix at The Rittenhouse. But of course for brunch on Sundays, I think Fountain's offerings at FS are hard to beat.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:11 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

4. upgrades sound pretty much non existant but for those who did get them please expand
I've not STAYED here in a while, but here's what I can share:

1) Parking - the garage under the hotel is self park and about par for the course in the area. If you go north of Market St, Past JFK, and onto Arch St you will find some less expensive surface lots.
2) No lounge that I'm aware of from meetings in town.

That said, this is my neighborhood (more or less), so if you need some suggestions for places to try, PM me.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

1. There is underground parking at the hotel, which as a previous post stated, is pretty average for parking in that area of Philly. I think the self-park is ~$25, and valet is ~$35. If you're willing to walk a bit (.5-1 mile), you can find free overnight street parking around 18th and Lombard.
2. There isn't an SPG lounge, but the hotel has recently completely renovated their lobby area. Many ppl choose to sit in the lobby and have drinks or use the free wireless internet.
3-4. I think all of the '01' (701, 801, 901, etc.) rooms in the hotel are suites. I see previous posts mention that room upgrades are pretty much non-existent, but that hasn't been my experience recently. My last 3-4 stays, I have always been prechecked in (my room keys are waiting for me at the front desk) and upgraded to one of the '01' rooms. I agree that this hotel doesn't upgrade as much as other properties, but I think that's because they have a limited number of suites and the hotel has very high occupancy rate.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
thanks for the info guys..

I will find the street parking.. good to know that there is free wireless in the lobby.. bummer on no lounge
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:23 pm

Is there a presidential suite here and has anyone ever stayed in it? If so please post some info about it - Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kobi
Is there a presidential suite here and has anyone ever stayed in it? If so please post some info about it - Thanks!
There is a presidential suite and I stayed in it prior to remodel (free upgrade from the night manager). The suite is VERY LARGE but strangely only had one bedroom when I stayed there. My understanding is that it gained a second bedroom with the remodel. At the time, the suite included an entry foyer, large sitting area (3 or 4 full size couches), grand piano, dinning room table for 12, a few plasma TVs, and more. I would guess the total size was something like 2000 - 2500 square feet.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
Any recent stays here?

I booked a 1 night cash + points at this hotel for Friday night. Wondering if there are any recent reviews. I am going with a friend, and am hoping to get an upgrade to a suite. Any other concerns to be aware with at this property?

Thanks,

Eric
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mrEzE
I booked a 1 night cash + points at this hotel for Friday night. Wondering if there are any recent reviews. I am going with a friend, and am hoping to get an upgrade to a suite. Any other concerns to be aware with at this property?

Thanks,

Eric
Please be advised, there are only 9 Suites and a Presidential Suite at this property and I don't know if they are classified as "select standard".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.