Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Frankfurt Airport FRA, Germany [Master Thread]

Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium

This is a great way to go for a night before a flight out.

Great, spacious club lounge with a fantastic breakfast. They have a "mini gym" on the club level in addition to the "big gym" downstairs, below the check-in level. You can get up, get your work out before your long haul flight home, grab a shower, grab breakfast & check out w/ lounge reception. If you're on AA, the hotel is literally down the hall (across a catwalk) from the FRA AAdmirals Club. I think it's also across a diff. catwalk from United's departures, not sure 'tho.

Also a great 'open-late' lite dinner & open bar. Lite dinner (various pastas & salads) 'til 10:30pm, open bar 'til 11:30pm. So, it works out well if you're elsewhere in Germany and just coming in that night pre-flight, and want to grab late night food/drink offerings.

It's def. a bit pricey for an airport hotel, 'tho, but's def. a LOT nicer than most airport hotels.

/mod

Earlier reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

mod/

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 8, 2010 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
I stayed at this property (FRA Sheraton) on 2/17. Checked in at 11:30AM, and was inquired to the time of check-out. As a curtesy, I responded that I was going to check out that very evening rather than the following day. Then, the front desk agent asked for the time of check out that evening and I responded 7:30PM. At 6:55PM I got a knock on the door by housekeeping with cart ready to clean my room (talk about efficiency to turn the room). I told him that I was going to check out no later than 7:30PM.

I went to front desk and asked for the on-duty manager to discuss this actions of booting guests out of their room. The manager first apologizes to me, and then proceeds to blame housekeeping on this and assured me that she will get to the bottom of this and promised to take care of me on the next stay. She said that this is not how a "5-Star" hotel is run. Yeah right, a 5-Star. I said fine ("what ever"), since I have a plane to catch (a 9:15PM flight to FCO). Then I overheard an airline pilot who was checking out that housekeeping was rushing him to get out of his room. That was it, I placed a call with Starwood corporate customer service this morning and filed a complaint. Hopefully, SPG could put a stop in to this.

By the way, I was upgraded to a standard club level room on the 8th FL (and not a standard suite). I was too tired to go and complaint. The club room was less than underwhelming, what a lousy hotel.

But it was convenient to get back to the airport.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:49 am

Location: Europe, Asia, South America, wherever life takes me.
Programs: SPG (...)
One of the best club lounges of any Starwood!

Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel and Towers is more than one airport hotel, is a gorgeous Starwood hotel located right on the airport.

Very nice, exceptionally clean, and gracious staff.

I stop here all months... Personnel is eager to please and answer questions/give direction.

Great, spacious club lounge with a fantastic breakfast and snacks all day. Rooms are spacious and comfortable - sound proof as is connected to the airport.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: Marriott Amb, UA 1K, HLT DIA
I would rather stay at the Sheraton due to the club lounge. Its one of the best and they actually cater to your every whim. I mean cooked to order breakfast, the massive coffee machine, full bar at night, and drawers stocked with beer and glass coca-cola bottles. The only down side is that the airport shuts down exactly at 10PM no exceptions, along with the S-Bahn. Most of the time I use cash & points, so it is really worth it.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I am not quite sure about what Frankfurt you are talking, however, I have taken flights from Frankfurt close to midnight and the last S-Bahn leaves FRA at 2:05 in the morning. However, if I have the choice to stay in the heart of town with everything in walking distance or at an airport hotel with 8 minutes walk to the train station, 10 minutes average wait on the platform and 15 minutes train ride, the choice would be easy. It appears to be a US attitude, to prefer a good lounge over a top location.
That's true, but it cuts both ways, though. For an early morning flight, or after a long-haul arriving late p.m., I'd rather avoid the 8 minutes walk to the train station, 10 minutes average wait on the platform and 15 minutes train ride to the airport (plus a walk from the platform to check-in) when I can cut out all of this except the walk to/from the check-in counters. Also, the lounge breakfast is not only free, but the FRA Airport Sheraton lounge is a helluva lot nicer than the breakfast room at LM Frankfurt. And they prepare your bill while your're having breakfast - big timesaver as well.

Tom
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by SPG.pt
Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel and Towers is more than one airport hotel, is a gorgeous Starwood hotel located right on the airport.
Gorgeous ?!. Are we talking about the same place ?.

A functional, over-priced, characterless, conveniently located Hotel ?. Definitely.

Gorgeous ?. Definitely not !!.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM
I considered the airport Sheraton for this past weekend, but opted for the Frankfurt Westin Grand. SUPER location for roaming the Zell, exploring the Dom area, and connecting to S-bahn. MUCH better than spending a night at the airport location.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
Thumbs up My stay at the FRA Sheraton

I stayed at the FRA Sheraton last night, due to United grounding its 777 fleet. Finding the hotel was hideous, but when I did get there, the lobby and aesthetics were splendid. Upon checkin, I was upgraded to a tower room on the 5th floor (SPG), and since I am flying (N)C, given a 30 euro dinner and 20 euro breakfast vouchers.

When I entered the room, I was pleasantly suprised at the size of the room (nice for American standards, palatial for European standards), and the bed (see above). The design is a nice mix between modern and typical, with an unimpressive TV, unique and functional wood slab desk, and tasteful lighting. Not much of a view out the window, with another Sheraton tower next to me and a sliver of the airport, but hey.... it's an airport hotel after all.

For dinner, I skipped the voucher and went to the banquet room where UA had set up catering for the masses. The dinner was so-so.

For breakfast, I went to Flavors, one of the hotel's restaurants. They told me the buffet was 34 euro, but upon pulling out my 20 euro voucher they took it and waved me inside. The interior and settings were quite nice, service exceptionally good, and the buffet itself was a typical European spread -- except the food choices being about 2-2.5x as large as a typical hotel breakfast, and the quality being clearly a cut above.

Overall, I'd give this hotel 4.75 out of 5 stars. For what it is, a European hotel and a Sheraton, it gets heaps of praise from me. Although I was delayed by a day, this was certainly a good way to spend the downtime. I highly recommend this place if you're doing business in the area and need some place close to connecting flights. I wouldn't be surprised to see Starwood upgrade this past a Sheraton.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
One more comment for business travelers regarding the Internet. As of my stay, there is wired as well as wireless (802.11g) connectivity. The price is 8 euro/hr, 18 euro / 24 hr. and they have a larger (36 hr?) package, can't remember the cost.

YMMV; your company may have a negotiated rate w/ Internet included but if not, factor this in.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Here's my photo trip report of the hotel from last week:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=44
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
interneta access

If the hotel fees for internet access are problematic and/or prohbitivie, I've known FTers who have walked across the catwalk (from the Flavors restuarant) to the American Airlines AAdmirals Club, open 'til 8pm (for those with A/C memberships, AA/OW status and/or class-of-service tickets that allow access, etc.). The booze and the internet are free.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by sink
By the way, I was upgraded to a standard club level room on the 8th FL (and not a standard suite).
Suite upgrades seldom happen at this property, since it is often heavily booked. They have a captive audience....mainly travellers staying for a single night.

I have been to this property about 100 times, never upgraded to a suite....but since I am there for only one night, I have never asked for a suite, either.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by skye1
If the hotel fees for internet access are problematic and/or prohbitivie, I've known FTers who have walked across the catwalk (from the Flavors restuarant) to the American Airlines AAdmirals Club, open 'til 8pm (for those with A/C memberships, AA/OW status and/or class-of-service tickets that allow access, etc.). The booze and the internet are free.
When I was at the FRA AAdmiral's Club last month the internet was not free. (I asked). Like most overseas locations you must use your (paid) T-Mobile account. However, the three computers and two printers in the very back of the club can be used free of charge by members and those OW members with access privileges. Early in the morning before the club opens, you will frequently find people sitting on the stairs outside the club surfing the internet via the T-Mobile Hotpsot inside. Of course the alcholic beverages are plentiful and free of charge.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Suite upgrades seldom happen at this property, since it is often heavily booked. They have a captive audience....mainly travellers staying for a single night.

I have been to this property about 100 times, never upgraded to a suite....but since I am there for only one night, I have never asked for a suite, either.
Wow, 100 visits should earn you a suite at some point - if you want it. You should ask. The last time I received a suite upgrade here was back in December, 2003. As with most guests I was there alone and for just one night. The Tower Club suite was riesig (gargantuan). I never used the living room I just walked through it to get to the bedroom. The bathroom was a little nicer and much larger than the regular rooms. Under the circumstances (a solo, single night stay), I'd rather have a regular room on the Club floor.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
You know.....getting a suite for one night does not do much for me, since, more than likely, I'm arriving after work or after a flight, I might read, go to bed, and leave in the morning again. If anything, I'd rather have a suite on a longer stay. (Wouldn't we all?)

I only commented that I have never been offered a suite at FRA. More often than not, I even decline a suite if there for one night......they might as well give it to someone who is staying longer, or maybe has kids with them, or is spending time with the GF (while the wife is at home ) and needs more room to "socialize."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.