Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Key West Sheraton Suites [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Key West Sheraton Suites [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Arrow Key West Sheraton Suites [Master thread]

I am planning a stay in Key West and was wondering what to expect.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
The Sheraton Suites?

It's not a resort hotel, but they charge a resort fee!

I asked what resort facilities they have. They answered 'Just the pool and the beach'.

Any two bit motel has a pool, without a resort fee. And the beach is the public beach, across A1A.

The cheek!

Also, they offer locals 10% discount on restaurant meals. To me, this says 'Hey, guys, we rip off the tourists'.

And they asked me for ID. My reservation, Starwood VIP card and credit card weren't enough. But as only one clerk was asking guests for ID and the others weren't, that policy appears to be flexible.

It's away from downtown, so you need a car, or use the hotel's shuttle bus.

Otherwise, average.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:32 am

Stayed there last year on a Free Weekend award. Really liked the hotel. Had a great suite with a whirlpool. Hotel is located just across the street from the beach. The hotel is a fair distance away from Duval St. and most of the tourist spots, which makes the location a lot more quiet. However, there is a free shuttle that runs pretty frequently. Hotel staff was great, as well. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:59 am

Stayed there for MLK weekend and really enjoyed it. We used the free shuttle into town several times and found that the drivers were willing to drop us off at restaurants, etc. not on the scheduled route
with no problem. One plus of being "away from the action" is that you have peace and quiet when you want it. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
The only negative was being charged the "resort fee" and the lame list of "amenities" that it covered. I saw nothing on the Sheraton web site or on my printed confirmation that mentioned it and I think it should be illegal for them to shakedown unsuspecting guests at the last minute like this (When you check in and find out about it, what a choice: walk and forfeit your deposit of one night's rate or give in and pay the $7.50 per night. They deliberately put you over a barrel.). Since they are charging this for every stay they should just build it into the rate.

[This message has been edited by dogcanyon (edited 03-18-2002).]
Old Mar 18, 2002, 8:39 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I stayed there last year and didn't care much for the place. There are far better places to stay in Key West. When we arrived the general manager was involved in a debate with a guest who wanted to cancel with no penalty because the hotel advertised itself as being on the beach when it's actually across the street (highway?) from the beach. I was surprised the manager preferred to create a scene and insisted on charging him a cancellation fee when clearly their advertising was false. (The beach was open when I was there, but 100 yards down it was closed for health/sewage reasons.) The suites were shabby and in need of renovation. We checked out early and went to the Westin Key Largo ... that was even worse. Unfortunately, Starwood has crummy properties in the keys.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
I was there about 3 or 4 years ago. I booked it through AMEX (cannot remember if Gold or Platinum by then) and had no problems or surprises at all with the rate. I found it a non-expensive hotel. As I remember, all rooms were suites. Not great suites, obviously, but quite nice and comfortable.
Quiet place, just across from the beach, and with free shuttle to the main streets. Don't expect a Luxury Collection or St. Regis Hotel, but it was OK for me.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
The beach was open when I was there, but 100 yards down it was closed for health/sewage reasons.</font>
I was there three years ago and they close the whole area due to the very same reason. So it was not a good experience for me but not *wood fault. Maybe they should give me a call to let me know since all beaches were closed for about a week before my arrival. As other said, the hotel itself is OK but not luxury or resort like.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 9:44 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Sheraton Suites Key West

Hi all -

Anyone have any experience with this property? When Mrs Duxfan and I usually go to Key West, we stay closer to Old Town. But the great room rate and promise of a shuttle to Old Town clinched the deal. Any tips for us? thanks...
Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:24 am

Nothing special. A little run down. The shuttle ends around 10pm. You will still need a cab ($10) to get back to the hotel. I would not stay there unless you want Sarpoints. Stay closer to Duval Street.

Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
My frat had our formal at this hotel three years ago and we all spent the weekend there. The hotel is kind of small, but what you would expect from the key west. Otherwise, the rooms were nice as they are all suites. Get a room with a jacuzzi tub. Probably the only perk there. The beach is not so nice across the way, but the trans into town is free. Overall, I would rate it a B-. The grounds could be kept nice and the drinks at the bar could be cheaper. The lobby is nice when you get in and if the weather is good, for a moment you it feels quaint.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 11:00 am

thanks for the info. we usually stay closer to town, but it's memorial day weekend. so i could stay at the heron house for $269/night or the sheraton suites for $59/night. smathers beach has never been worth a visit, we're much better off driving up to bahia honda anyway. but it sounds like i'm getting what i'm paying for here. nothing great, but i'm not getting gouged in town just because of the holiday.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 11:55 am

How did you find such a great rate for Memorial Day weekend?
Old Apr 25, 2002, 2:29 pm

i don't know if it was an error or what, but i booked it thru the website, got the confirmation number, and even called the hotel to make sure they had the res as well. my hunch was that it was an error, 'cuz i haven't seen anything like it since!
Old Apr 25, 2002, 4:12 pm

for 59.00 dollars

u cant even stay at the super 8 for that cheap

have a great time...pat

------------------
ITS BETTER TO GIVE THEN RECEIVE
Old Apr 25, 2002, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fetchem:
Nothing special. A little run down. The shuttle ends around 10pm. You will still need a cab ($10) to get back to the hotel. I would not stay there unless you want Sarpoints. Stay closer to Duval Street.

</font>
I stayed during Easter break and the rooms are still run down. They did provide an ocean view room as an upgrade instead of garden view. However, you can't beat the $59 rate.The shuttle ends at 11:00, so you will need a taxi to crawl home in.

I usually stay at the Dewey House which is closer to the action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.