Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Golf Parco de' Medici Hotel, Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Feb 9, 2001, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways CP, Starwood Gold

I will be staying at this hotel in Rome in about a week. If anyone has stayed there, I would love whatever info you could provide.

I have heard that they have a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport. How would I contact them for service? Also I understand that there is a shuttle that will take you to Rome central(Piazza Venezia?), what's the scoop on that.

I'll be staying 2 nights on award points(i'm gold), are upgrades possible, is there a particular type of room I would want to request? All info and help is appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
Old May 5, 2002, 6:41 am

Arrow Sheraton Golf Parco De' Medici Hotel, Rome [Master Thread]

Planning to stay there later this month
anyone stayed there that can provide any kind of report?
Old May 5, 2002, 10:59 am

The Restaurant is Great. And the golf is wonderful, very nice course and a reasonable price. The staff was very helpful! I never did stay at the hotel, yet I ate and golfed at this location for three days during my visit to Rome. Hope this helps

Tim

Old May 6, 2002, 9:58 am

Stayed there in late March and had a wonderful time. The platinum fruit basket was fantastic (possibly because we had just come off a red-eye though...) The staff was very helpful and the shuttle into the city for site-seeing was pretty convenient. The room was stocked with unique toiletries and had a huge bath tub for soaking tired feet. We didnt get to golf, but looked into it and the green fees were quite reasonable. It was much nicer than I imagined it would be, given that its classified as a category 2.
Old May 6, 2002, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways CP, Starwood Gold
Stayed there a year back february.

Many plus's....one minus. I flew in on US Airways. The hotel shuttle to the airport is at fixed times. Unfortunately not at all in sync with my airline, thus had to take a cab to the hotel. You might want to check with the hotel for the shuttle times so you can be mentally prepared if you're out of sync with their schedule.....

On the plus side, very helpful staff! Stayed on award points....an absolute value! Very nice rooms and accoutrements.....

They have a shuttle to downtown Rome, very reliable and very convenient. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
Old Apr 4, 2004, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I stayed in August 1994, just after it opened. It was very nice - low-rise, right on the golf course. Hopefully someone who has stayed more recently can expand on this.

I was driving, so did not use the shuttle. Nowever, this text is from the website:

The Sheraton Golf Parco De'Medici Hotel and Resort is a charming, country-style hotel surrounded by a 27-hole golf course. Easily reached from the Great Ring Road, the Sheraton is just 18 kilometers from Fiumicino Airport and 16 kilometers from the center of Rome. Guests may use the limited and scheduled airport/downtown shuttle services, which run regularly.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:46 pm

Recent hotel info

I am planning on staying here in mid October. Could anyone shed some light on how frequently the shuttles run to FCO and Downtown Rome and how long it takes from the hotel to downtown Rome?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
(I'm assuming that the OP is talking about the Parco De Medici...)

Well, if you're going to Rome to golf this is probably not a bad choice... likewise if you're going on business to the EUR district.

I stayed in June I think it was, and can tell you that the hotel is very modern, and not very busy. There was a doctor's conference at the time, but beyond that, only a few Yank families that picked an unusual hotel from which to visit the city.

Nice outdoor pool + spa + gym, friendly english-speaking staff (not the most common occurrence south of Milan), and a decent (though expensive) restaurant.

I can't tell you about shuttle service to/from downown and/or FCO, but after living in Italy for 12 years, I can tell you that relying on anything being on time is absolute madness. So if you happen to get a schedule, take it with grain of salt.

Overall though, a nice hotel.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6AM Checkout time? Sheraton Golf Parco De' Medici Hotel & Resort

Is this a typo or does the hotel really require a 6AM checkout? That seems a little early for checking out to me. Of course their check-in time is 9AM, which also seems a little early. Most hotels are 3PM check-in and an 11AM or 12Noon Check-out.

Any ideas or experiences? It seems like a decent property, although its not really a good location for Rome sight-seeing.

Last edited by bhatnasx; Dec 22, 2004 at 1:28 pm
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:31 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Probably a related issue:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=4179

I have 3 PM as the check-in time and 12 Noon as the check-out time for this hotel.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Is this a typo or does the hotel really require a 6AM checkout? That seems a little early for checking out to me. Of course their check-in time is 9AM, which also seems a little early. Most hotels are 3PM check-in and an 11AM or 12Noon Check-out.
Must be some sort of hotel glitch. I had the same experience with Hyatts website and the HR Kauai. I actually thought "Great", as I had an early arrival scheduled, but alas a call to the hotel dashed those hopes and the usual 3pm check in with 12 noon check out was given. I'd actually like to see more of those 24 hour clocks where you can stay for a full 24 hrs no matter what time you check in, as most of my stays are for 1 day only.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:51 am

Programs: SPG, Continental, USAir, United, AA, Delta
Sheraton Golf Roma

Any ideas or experiences? It seems like a decent property, although its not really a good location for Rome sight-seeing.
I've stayed here a few times for business and actually found it pretty reasonable for sightseeing on weekends. There's a bus that runs every hour and a half to and from the city (every hour in the evening) from 9 AM till 11 PM. It's a huge bus so you don't have to worry about there not being space - a problem I've had with some other hotels offering "shuttle service." And it drops you off in Piazza Venezia, which is central to almost all of the major tourist attractions. The only problem would be if you like getting an earlier start than 9:30 (necessary to avoid lines at the Vatican), in which case you'd have to fork over 25-30 EUR for the cab downtown. For the price difference between this property and the Starwoods downtown, I'd definitely save my money for a nice dinner out.

If you are planning on staying there, I recommend the "new building." The old building is decorated to go for Italian rustic charm, but the new building has bigger rooms, way better water pressure in the shower, better food, and is of course newer (meaning less scuffed paint and electrical/plumbing problems).

And no, they've never made me check out at 6 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:19 am

I had a stay at the Sheraton Roma West hotel in Oct. Although this property is a bit further out than the one you are looking at, it just may have a more frequent bus service (about 15 people) to the city, airport and station.

During my 2 day stay, I never once felt inconvenienced due to infrequency of schedules. The thing to remember though is that the hotel seems to host many intl budget travellers and the last two buses from Rome to the hotel can get full. I saw an IDB once. The hotel of course offers no comp in these cases as the shuttle service is comp anyway and no assurances of its performance are made.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the notes on the Rome properties - Steve, welcome to FT & thanks for the informative first post!

I'll reconsider it - but I am a bit concerned that it's too far away. In terms of location - are there shops/restaurants/etc, nearby? Also, since the shuttle only runs til about 11PM, it'd be a late night long cab ride back - did you ever experience this? Was it difficult to find a cabbie willing to take you that far late night?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thanks for the notes on the Rome properties - Steve, welcome to FT & thanks for the informative first post!

I'll reconsider it - but I am a bit concerned that it's too far away. In terms of location - are there shops/restaurants/etc, nearby? Also, since the shuttle only runs til about 11PM, it'd be a late night long cab ride back - did you ever experience this? Was it difficult to find a cabbie willing to take you that far late night?
Yes it is a bit far (when I stayed, I drove myself into the city).

Advantages are the closeness to the airport, as well as Ostia Antica (a must see, and a nice change of pace) and the beach.

The restaurant is decent, though who eats at their hotel in Rome?

Also there's golf, but, again, who golfs when in Rome? I lived there for many years, and never met an Italian who even pretended to play golf.

BTW, bhantax, to answer your question: there is nothing nearby. It's a classic American by-the-highway airport hotel. It could be in Des Moines, for all you know.

BTW2 This morning the Westin Whistler was claiming a 6 AM check-out time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.