Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Has left Marriott] Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, Kansas City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Has left Marriott] Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, Kansas City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2002, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Arrow [Has left Marriott] Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, Kansas City [Master Thread]

I've stayed at this ppoperty a couple of times in the last month and recommend it:

- Consistency friendly and helpful front desk; they recognized me as a past customer on my second visit, three weeks after the first one
- Club Lounge stays open on weekends
- Clean, comfortable rooms
- Great location, one block walk to Plaza shopping and restaurants

I checked in very late the first night of my first stay there and was given the last room available in the property. It was one of the handicapped accessible rooms - no problem, except the room came with a double bed instead of a king. Not that big a deal, but I requested a room change the nect day and was given one the next day - and the woman who helped me at the front desk took a chunk off the bill even though I hadn't requested it.

There have been a few negative reports of the Four Points property in the same vicinity. I haven't tried it, but have nothing but good things to say about the Sheraton Suites. BTW Sheraton Suites is much better located in the Plaza area than the Four Points.

William, do you pass these kind of comments on to the hotel or should I write them myself?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:10 am

This property started as a Marriott Suites about 10 years ago when it was newly built. Haven't been in it lately, but it was very nice when new.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, UAL 1K, AA Exec Plat, Starwood Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Great location (KC Plaza, good restaurants/bars) friendly staff, typical Sheraton Suites room configuration. Executive lounge is ok
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:29 pm

Its been a few years since I've stayed there, and many things can change, but as the prior poster said, great location, good restaurants nearby, nice area. good staff.

When I was staying there frequently, staff got to know me so that upon arrival (as they saw me stepping out of car) they would just hand me my room key as I approached the desk, greet me and off I went. Zero wait time.
I also got to know the inhouse reservation agent who would always block out my favorite suite.

Good service!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
club lounge sucks
often unattended
often out of coffee

one of the worst I've been too
and I've been here a few times as well
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Stay here if SPG is important

This is the best SPG property in KC, taking all things into consideration. Location is fantastic. The best restaurants and bars in KC are walking distance. The Intercontinental is a better hotel, but the downtown Westin is terrible and the Sheraton OP is in the middle of nowhere. This is where I stay when in KC, even though my business is elsewhere..
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jayzee9
The Intercontinental is a better hotel.
Just curious when your stay at the IC was? The property is being renovated, but years of neglect as it changed hands a few times (and with no renovations at the Ritz-> IC changeover) has left it one of the most over-priced/underwhelming properties in the city. Before the most recent renovations started, you could not have paid me to stay there...it was that bad.

While the Westin is getting older, I don't know that I would place the Sheraton Suites above it. The Westin does have the heavenly products in place. I would place them about even with location being the deciding point for me (although they are not that far apart). If you need to be on the Plaza, choose the Sheraton...if you need to be near Crown Center, I would probably choose the Westin (if you need to stay in the SPG family...I will often choose the Hyatt over the Westin as the employees there are steps above those I have encountered at the Westin and I am always welcomed back, often by sight alone and they have always pre-blocked me into a room that exactly matches my preferences).

Unfortunatley SPG does not have a great showing in KC, the Sheraton in Overland Park was recently renovated, but not in the best location unless you need to be on that side of the city. The 4Points KCI is ok, but nothing great. A/C units are loud and property is a converted Holiday Inn->Clarion->4Points so is a little rough around the edges. Employees have always been very friendly.

Another property is in conversion, the old Adams Mark Sports Complex (now a Clarion) is converting into a Sheraton. Property was terrible under the previous brands so it will be interesting to see how the renovations end up. Property should finish renovations shortly, but they are also building an attached water park that will extend construction at the property for some time.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:15 pm

So life has found me at this property 3 days in this past week so thought I would add some additional details.

While not the greatest property, they do try and in most cases it shows. Had a two night break between my first stay of 1 night, and the two nights I am on. Room provided met all my requests, high floor away from elevator, king - non smoking. Upon second check-in, front desk was able to get me back in the same room with no issue, although I requested a move as there was a pungent odor not present a few days before (smelled like the motor in the AC unit had probably died). Was instantly moved to a room down the hall, and by the time I got back upstairs to move my things, maintenance was already working on the problem. Second room was fine.

Furnishings are in generally good condition and rooms were clean, if a bit aged. Sweet Sleeper beds are the norm and rooms include fridge/microwave. Two TV's, both the old tube style (flat panel replacements are to be installed soon). Bathroom counter looks fairly new, but tile around tub is very aged and in need of replacement. Rooms are decent size, but small if compared to an Embassy Suites setup. Bathroom is accessible from bedroom (sliding door) or living room. Living/bedroom partition is two french doors. Bedroom in King suites is small with little room around the bed. Window in bedroom can be opened slightly.

Customer service has been great. Called a few minutes ago for extra towels, they were delivered in under 5 minutes, and they even called to confirm it was OK to knock on the door as I had the "no surprises" tag out.

A few quick property notes:

18 floors (17 technically since 13 is avoided)
12, 14 & 15 are SPG floors
16, 17 & 18 are Club floors
Parking is underneath and $9 a day for self park, valet is offered as well.
Club offers free wi-fi which can be picked up in some rooms on higher non-club floors. All other rooms only have wired (fee), but you can use the Time Warner Wi-Fi hotspot present in the Plaza area for $8.95/day or free if you are a time warner customer already.
Elevator motors are loud and more intrusive the higher the floor. If you are on a high floor, request away from the elevator. I am in the last room in the hall but can still hear them running from time to time.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1 MM; SPG PLT; HH Silver
Wink

I stay at this property at least once a month and I must say the service has improved. I usually check in late and end up with being assisted by inexperienced staff and end up having to call the PLT desk to get point enstated or bill corrected. They have really kicked up their service and are being more proactive about improving check in process. Can't comment about the club lounge since I usually don't use it.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:08 am

Thumbs down Grrr! Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza (MCI) upgrades me, then takes out 5k!

Beware...

I recently checked into the Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza at 00:30, and as Plat was upgraded to a Club Level room.

Upon asking whether the end (corner) rooms were available, I was told by the friendly check in receptionist that they were (on a non Club floor), and was moved into one of those rooms. They are marginally larger than the regular rooms, but I do prefer them.

This is a hotel I've stayed at many times, and indeed, the hotel used to regularly set a corner room aside for me.

Today, upon checking my SPG balance, I discovered that the hotel deducted 5k points for the "upgrade."

After a conversation with the Plat Concierge, those points will be restored-- (we'll see) but not until I specifically asked about the missing points and not until after I asked for the points to be restored (it was not volunteered).

Lately, I've noticed all sorts of SPG points just flying out of my account due to so called "glitches" including those with award bookings.

It pays to monitor your account!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:57 pm

This is an all-suite property with three level distinctions, Traditional (floors through 11 & SPG floors are 12, 14 & 15 and those are your typical gold upgrade), Club Floors (3) which are the typical Platinum upgrade (and gold on occasion as well). The corner suites are another catagory (Deluxe), but perhaps William can confirm if they fall under the standard suite designation. Given the other upgrade options, I have a feeling they fall under specialty....but that's not to say that they also have not been offered as upgrades for Platinum & gold members when possible as well. In the booking engine, the levels are listed as Traditional for the basic suites on floors under 15 (SPG floors are 12, 14 & 15, but these are not listed seperatley in the booking engine), Club Floor (floors 16, 17, & 18) and the corner suites (Deluxe). Pricing typically has Club Floors at $30 higher than the Traditional suites, and the Deluxe corner suites at $10 higher than Club ($40 higher than traditional)...but the Club & Deluxe also match rates often during the week at $30-$40 higher than the Traditional rooms. Corner suites also include Club access, even if not on a club floor according to their description.

All that said, it doesn't suprise me that the desk agent would leave the upgrade cost out of the discussion...most of the front staff I have dealt with on several recent stays are in desperate need of a training class on how to correctly treat and interact with guests.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
As reported in other threads there is an issue with an increasing number of Sheraton Suites that anything but the most basic room (suite) is not on the list for free upgrades to PLATS.

That said, it is inexcusable that you were upgraded without being told that points were being deducted.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:36 am

More info...

To provide more information...

Checkin at 00:30 was not a rushed affair... indeed, I had a cordial conversation with the front desk receptionist who personally offered to valet park my car without charge (I declined as I would prefer she did not leave the front desk for the cold of the parking garage, and for her security). We chatted about various topics, and when she mentioned that I was already blocked in a Club Level room, I asked whether a corner room was possible.

She mentioned that a non Club Level corner room was available, and offered to move me. She did not mention that this move would cost me points; otherwise I would not have accepted. Or I would have asked if this was considered a specialty suite excluded from the Plat upgrade pool.

__

With regards to my comment that points are flying out of my account without warning...

Recently I've had a few on line award bookings deduct points at the time of booking (at it should have), then after my hotel stays, discovered that an additional set of points for these same stays were deducted a second time from my account. The explanation was that there was a computer glitch, and that the points were credited back to my account (uh huh, which did not show in the on line screen) and then taken out again.

It pays to monitor your account!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Talking Sheraton Country Club Suites Kansas City

Anyone stay here recently? Could you share your thoughts?

THANKS!!!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 25, 2008 at 6:57 pm Reason: Moved into master thread so that info collected will be together
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: Free Agent
Basically what the other people said. I was there over the weekend, and was pretty happy with the property. I was upgraded to the Club floor. In the morning, the lounge had free sodas, water, yogurt, fruit, bread/pastries/bagels, scrambled eggs, and sausage patties.

Downstairs, there are several computers for people to use. I was not charged for self-parking (there was no controlled access to the garage). I'm pretty noise sensitive, but didn't hear any elevator noise. The gym downstairs has only one treadmill, one stairstepper, stationary bike, and this multi-weight machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.