Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

I am traveling to Munich on business (1st overseas biz trip for me and I reserved a room at the Sheraton near the airport. I was wondering if anyone had stayed there before and had any comments one way or the other about the property. I'll being going into downtown Munich one night.

While I'm at it I might as well ask for opinions on UA/Lufthansa business class on their 767 and 747s. Any preferred seats? Specifically is it worth it to sit upper deck on the 747?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2002, 2:47 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You're ways better off picking a place in downtown Munich rather than out there in Schwaig near the airport, unless your business is in Hallbergmoos or one of the other towns near the airport.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This is a pleasant property in what is like a small village setting near the airport, but certainly not convenient if you have any dealings city centre. Suggest you book something in the city, which is conveniently and inexpensively reached quickly on the S-bahn. If you were just connecting overnight, the Sheraton near the airport is a very nice place to stay. I was given a top floor room that had the ambiance of a chalet with high beamed ceiling, etc.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I might rebook to a hotel near the city center then. I do have a 11am flight out on the last day, thats the main reason I picked the airport location. But its sounds like its a fairly quick s-bahn ride out to the airport.

thank you
Old Oct 23, 2002, 6:09 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
BadgerFlyer, you should have no problem at all with a 11:00am departure.
Leaving the city center using the S8 train should get you to the airport within 30-40 minutes. So I'd say if you are to leave at around 9:00am, you should have no problem making your flight.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:31 pm

Question Munich Airport Arabella Sheraton Shuttle 8 EUROS

This is a first...

The Munich Arabella Sheraton Airport Hotel charges 8 EURO ($11 USD) each way for the airport shuttle? I always thought "Airport" hotel's offered complimentary shuttle service

Has anyone ever come across the same thing? Or is this a one-off situation?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
This is well known. All of the Munich hotels charge for their shuttles. However: You either pay for it via your room rate of seperately - Somebody always pays for it - So what?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:23 am

I have never heard of any "AIRPORT HOTEL" charging for their shuttle. Never came acroos that with Starwood or Marriott.

So is this only in Munich or is it across Germany?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:40 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I took a cab last time and it was about € 11 from the terminal to the hotel. So definitely a cheaper option if there is more than one person in your party.

And MUC is not alone. Other airports do this too. The Hotel Hoppa for the Sheraton Skyline & Sheraton LHR is another example.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
So is this only in Munich or is it across Germany?
In Frankfurt, the regularly scheduled (i.e., every xx minutes) shuttles don't have fees that I've ever run into. Someone correct me if they know an exception.

For clarification, was this a regularly scheduled or a call-and-request shuttle? The call-and-request variety in Europe are often with a charge.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
In Frankfurt, the regularly scheduled (i.e., every xx minutes) shuttles don't have fees that I've ever run into. Someone correct me if they know an exception.

For clarification, was this a regularly scheduled or a call-and-request shuttle? The call-and-request variety in Europe are often with a charge.
This is a regular scheduled shuttle.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:36 pm
Yub

The Munich Airport Marriott, which is actually about 15 minutes away in Freising, charges 10 each way for shuttle service, which must be reserved ahead of time. Taxicabs are normally about 25 each way. Both costs are shown on the website. I prepaid for shuttle service to return to MUC for an early morning flight. The shuttle turned out to be a taxicab, and there were no extra charges.

In another non-Starwood experience, I recently stayed at the Gulfport, MS Fairfield Inn. I selected this hotel by searching on the Marriott.com website for hotels near the GPT airport. The Fairfield comes up as 0.5 miles from the airport, so I assumed that it is an "airport" hotel with shuttle service. I was wrong -- they do not have shuttle service, and taxicabs charge a $10 flat rate. Not a big deal, but I now know not to assume free shuttle service even if the hotel is right on the edge of the airport. BTW, had I looked more closely at the information on the website, I would have seen that the estimated cab cost is shown.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
They are upfront about it on their website, but frankly, having to wait up to 30 minutes outside - a big issue in winter (you can't see if the shuttle is there from inside the terminal and the arrival times are not clearly posted) to pay 8 Euros is not conducive to guest satisfaction.

I suggest they either - drop the shuttle entirely and just suggest people take cabs since the marginal extra cost is not much or run the shuttle on demand when a guest calls and install a courtesy phone at the stop. The hotel is nothing special, but the hassles with the shuttle made sure I would not stay again on a transit stop.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it a long walk? Are there not public transportation options that are cheaper to this or downtown MUC Starwood hotels? Looking for something with concierge lounge access, but under 100 Euros.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it a long walk? Are there not public transportation options that are cheaper to this or downtown MUC Starwood hotels? Looking for something with concierge lounge access, but under 100 Euros.
Yes! A long long walk! I would have thought about 5-8 kms away.

AFAIK, no public transport (besides the paid shuttles) to this property. Cabs cost about € 11.

Downtown MUC hotels can be reached using the S-Bahn train from the airport. For eg., one of the centrally located downtown stations, Rosenheimer Platz, is one the airport S-bahn line and has both a Holiday Inn and a Hilton attached to the station complex. The Hilton is quite nice and has a lounge, but I doubt you'll get it for under €100!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.