Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chennai (MAA) India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chennai (MAA) India

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2002, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Arrow Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chennai (MAA) India

There seem to be two Sheratons in the city. Any recomendations on overnighting there between a late night and early morning flight?

Transportation convenient?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:07 am

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
Chola Sheraton is better and has an easy access to the Airport. They also have a nice restaurant - Peshawari.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Most of the standard rooms at the Chola are actually quite a bit bigger than the equivalent ones at the Park. i.e. the Chola rooms have some type of a wooden sliding door mechanism that'll completely separate the living area from the sleeping area.

The Park however, IMO, seemed to be more full service hotel and more similar to the other ITC Sheratons in Delhi/Mumbai. And it has a Towers level that IMO would be better than staying at the Chola.

P.S.: If you like Southern Indian food, then I would strongly recommend the "Dakshin" restaurant. (Do carefully study the level of hotness index in the menu before ordering though! )
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Don't kill me for saying this in the SPG forum. But the Trident Hilton is way more convenient between late night and early morning flights. It is very close to the airport.

Cheers
expressboy
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I like the Park. If you are Platinum, you will get loads of free food and drinks in your room. It's in a nice neighborhood where you can walk around to shops, etc. And for late night or early morning flights, there isn't much traffic anyway.

And I agree with AJ. That southern Indian restaurant is really, really good.

If you do a search, you will find lots more information in this forum.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:46 am
At Large

I'm not sure if the Meredien in Chennai is becoming a SPG property but it is quite neice and the closest big hotel to the airport. I have stayed there twice for extended stays and for an overnight stay it will be quite acceptable.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found a business card from someone who helped me at the Park. Her name is Shabana and she was wonderful. The hotel email is [email protected] and the ITC Welcome Group website is http://www.welcomgroup.com/
Old May 31, 2006, 7:03 am

Any recent experiences with the Le Meridien?
Old May 31, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by Tim2008
Any recent experiences with the Le Meridien?
I spent one night there about a month ago. Nothing to write home about; it's a bit nicer than the Park Sheraton, but the location is a bit inconvenient (not far from the airport).

BTW--I had a week-long reservation at the Park Sheraton of which I stayed only one night -- very cheesy and very expensive (my Platinum amenity was a six-pack of Pepsi). I wanted to stay with *wood, so I moved the next day to Le Meridien (as I say, nicer, but still not worth the money and not well-located). I checked out the Sheraton Chola (marginally better than the Park, but again too much money! )

I found a good local business hotel chain called GRT (in T. Negar) that was a bit less nice than the *woods, but less than 1/2 the price. I wouldn't do *wood in Chennai again, I'm afraid (and I really wanted the 3x Points in May which I was targeted for!).
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
I just checked into Le Royal Méridien Chennai. (Late flight, and it was delayed so I didn't get into MAA until 1:30AM then waited forever for my bags.) The first room I was given was a smoking room, despite having a non-smoking reservation held for late arrival with my credit card, and having noted to the hotel the late time and flight I would be arriving on (had an airport pickup included in the room rate so they certainly knew I was arriving late. The airport transfer went smoothly at least.) Got moved to a non-smoking room. (King bed rather than two singles as reserved, but since I'm staying myself and just booked the cheapest room I don't really care. However, this shows a serious room management problem since they should have had a non-smoking two single bed room ready for my arrival.) Unfortunately, there are two large patches of bulging, flaking plaster with mold/mildew growing around them. Went to the front desk a third time and after a wait was told they had no other non-smoking rooms. They offered me an "upgraded" room on the 3rd floor (seems to be the exec-type floor; the room was a bit bigger), which was smoking, but said it would not smell of smoke. It did, so I rejected it. I'm back in the moldy room since it seems the lesser of two evils, and it's 3:40AM now so I don't have time to argue with them to perhaps walk me to properly fulfill my reservation. I showed the front desk manager the mold/mildew and he thought they were caused by bugs of some sort. Oh yeah, I dropped a pencil next to the bed and went to pick it up. Came back up with half a cracker instead on my first attempt. Ew. Also saw a bunch of hair and dust clumps behind the bed skirting. I'm scared to look any further.

The front desk staff were very gracious about the matter at least. The hotel is nearly sold out (this is the last non-smoking room of any type left) so there isn't much they can do. I said I'd take up the matter with the GM in the morning since I really need to sleep now.

Any thoughts on what I should expect as compensation? A free night entirely? Some Starpoints? Hopefully I'll resolve it with the GM without having to escalate it to SPG.

I'm disappointed my stay has already made me not want to ever stay here again. I've eaten at Cilantro on a previous trip to Chennai which was fairly decent, so the rest of the hotel is nice enough. But I can't imagine how a hotel of this sort keeps a room with such obvious problems in the active inventory.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by karthik
...Hopefully I'll resolve it with the GM without having to escalate it to SPG.

I'm disappointed my stay has already made me not want to ever stay here again. I've eaten at Cilantro on a previous trip to Chennai which was fairly decent, so the rest of the hotel is nice enough. But I can't imagine how a hotel of this sort keeps a room with such obvious problems in the active inventory.
Sorry for the problems you are having, but if it cannot be worked out with the hotel manager later today, then call the Customer Contact Center and lodge a formal complaint with Corporate Customer Service.

Regardless, good luck and try to get some sleep.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just completed a stay at the LM here and it was OK, except for the scammers running the door, car and security service. I didn't get an upgrade as the hotel was full, but as Platinum I had access to the lounge which wasn't too bad.

The problem occurred when I wanted to take a taxi to a meeting at another 5 star hotel in town (Accor Millenium). The doorman said he would get a hotel car for me. I didn't want to pay for a hotel car (minimum 1200rps). I just wanted a normal taxi. He refused to help and sent me out to the security gate. He said the guards would get me a taxi. These jerks pretended to not know English well and also pretended they had never heard of the Accor Millenium (which is a landmark hotel in Chennai). They refused to get me a taxi. It was raining and all this mess made me late. So I relented when they put me in a hotel car with a driver who knew the hotel. But I said I was only going to pay the normal taxi rate.

So when I arrived the guy demanded that I pay for 4 hours even though the trip was about 15 minutes. I refused and said I would pay maximum 500 which is still far too much. He didn't accept that. I went into my meeting and he was gone when I finished. This time since the rain had stopped I took a autocycle back to the LM for a negotiated 150rps. High, but I was paying foreigner price.

As soon as we pulled up at the LM the security guys jumped up and seriously harassed me and asking me why I didn't pay. Of course they were! They missed out on their kickback! I just gave them a look and walked into the hotel. Obviously no charge showed up on my bill as the front desk staff are not involved in these scams.

It really put me off of staying there again. Next time I will return to the Park Sheraton which is a nicer hotel overall in a nicer area.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:29 am

Starwood in Chennai, India - recommendations?

I'm planning a trip to Chennai and an trying to choose to between the Park Sheraton and the Chola Sheraton. I'd be grateful for any advice.

I'm not considering the Le Royal Meridien because of it's location.

The stays will be cash and points and I'm gold not platinum.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:50 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Which of the SPG properties are closest to the airport?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Which of the SPG properties are closest to the airport?
The LM is closest. And in this town, at certain times, a few miles can mean 30 minutes or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.