Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Eastham Cape Cod [Master Thread]

Four Points Eastham Cape Cod [Master Thread]

Old Sep 15, 2002, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA USA Starwood Plat CO Gold UA Premier Exec
Arrow Four Points Eastham Cape Cod [Master Thread]

What's the scoop on this property?
How do they treat plats?
Any interesting local sites/restaurants/shops?
Old Sep 16, 2002, 7:51 am

Can't speak about how they treat plats, but can tell you about the area. You'll be right on Rt6, which is the main roadway that runs the length of Cape Cod. That particular stretch of Rt6 is fairly "touristy" in what you'll find, but you aren't far from the National Seashore, which has some nice trails to traverse. You're about a 25 minute ride to Provincetown, where you'll find a lot of shops on Commercial St. and a number of fine restaurants (Napi's would be a great recommendation). If you head back west towards Orleans, you can pick up Rt6A which will take along through Orleans, Brewster and Dennis, with a number of nice shops, antique stores and restaurants along the way. Might have better feedback on the property after next weekend, friends of my wife are staying there.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
We stayed there back in April. At that time, they had little or no idea of how the Platinum system worked for Starwood. There are no suite upgrades (although the room was OK). When I asked about the Platinum amenity, neither the clerk or the manager had the forms or knew what I was talking about. I calle the Platinum Concierge and she took care of it. I was asked on checkout what I prefered and they made good on it. I have to assume by now they have their act together, but who knows.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Last year, this property was changed from a category 2 to a category 3 property. As a category 2 property, it is a good deal, as a 3, it is questionable except in the summer when using weekends may be tough as it is very busy. The rooms are nothing special, but clean. The outdoor pool is a bit of a hike, but private, will most likely be closed. The parking is right next to the rooms, giving a little bit of a motel feel, but not too bad.

The Cape is nice in September and early October, but can get cold and damp and a bit desolate after, although over the last ten years or so, it has become much more year round.

Land Ho restaurant in Orleans is a great place to catch some local color over a cold beer and bowl of chowder. Chatham center is nice and full of antique shops. Arnold's Clamshack on Rt 6 in Eastham is wonderful if your cholesterol is low and you absolutley need fried clams and onion rings to counteract the good HDL. Not sure when they close, but it may be just after labor day.

Tried last month to book a room for Sept 28 for a Brewster wedding, but no availability. September is now a very desireable month. The kids are back to school, the weather is still nice (but no swimming), and the crowds and traffic are better.

The bike trail is easily accessible allowing you to bike all the way to P-Town if you wish. Very enjoyable along marshes, dunes, and the ocean.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:35 pm

The hotel itself is nothing special, but the location is great. You are close to fantastic beaches and the bike trail is passing right behind the hotel.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 5:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cruising:
...the location is great. You are close to fantastic beaches and the bike trail is passing right behind the hotel.</font>
While I'd agree about the location (don't overlook the Audubon site a few miles north of the hotel, on the other side of Rt 6), one cautionary note about the beaches: If you expect to do any swimming at the Nat'l Seashore beaches, be prepared for water temperatures best suited to serious masochists. East-facing beaches on the Cape often have water temps no higher than 60-62 degrees, which is bone-chillingly cold (and the source of major Blue-and-Shrunken syndrome for half the population). You'll find much more palatable water temperatures on the south-facing beaches (e.g., Craigville near Hyannis) or the many smaller beaches on the inner harbor near Dennis.

Old Sep 22, 2002, 6:40 am

Don't have to go all the way to Dennis, there are bayside beaches in Eastham and Orleans also. Skaket Beach in Orleans has great flats you can walk at low tide.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Wideman and StevenL,

You have to compare it to something, and at least part of the Gulfstream manages to influence the lower Cape Beaches. Maine doesn't get any influence at all. Instant purple toes and disappearing body parts. But riding the waves at Cahoon's Hollow (getting longer rides than all those kids, including mine, on boogie boards) is a great way to spend the day. Once you start getting banged around by the surf, it just doesn't matter how cold it is, you stay plenty warm.

In Maine and New Hampshire, on the other hand, you run like he** into the water, dive under, cool off, then run back to the sand asap, all the time going OOOOH, ahhhhhhh, ouchhhhh, ****nnnnn.

As for Cape bayside beaches, they are best suited for families with small kids, like 2 to 5 years old, you can walk forever at low tide and not worry. My kids have had it with the bayside, however, they want serious waves. The bayside beaches have the better sunsets, though.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 5:17 am

Any recent reports on this hotel, and in particular whether they've got with the program when it comes to their treatment of Plats?

The Sheraton Hyannis has had some lousy reviews here. Is it any better?

Also, views on weather in April would be greatly appreicated

[This message has been edited by AndrewC (edited 02-11-2003).]
Old Feb 11, 2003, 8:24 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Andrew

It's been two years so not current but we were there for a Spring weekend in late March or early April and it was OK. All the above posts describe it properly - I'd just add that as it's on the highway and most of what's nearby will still be closed - the season doesn't begin until late May - it can feel a bit lonely. That may be good or bad depending on what you like.

That said, Spring and Fall are the only time I'll go to Cape Cod, The summer tourist traffic is unbearable to all, I guess, except the people stuck in it.

In terms of Platinum treatment I doubt there's much to upgrade you too - which is better: a view of the road or the parking lot or the woods? Breakfast was good and again, if memory serves, they'll even wash your car for you but given the property, there isn't much they can do. If Chillingsworth in nearby Brewster (Rt 6-A) is open you'd likely enjoy dinner there - it is consistently rated one of the best restaurants in Massachusetts.

New England weather is completely unpredictable. Several years ago we had 30 inches of snow on April 1st. It could also be in the 70's. Our spring comes much later than in the UK - April here is roughly February there. And as Cape Cod is a peninsula, the water both moderates and exacerbates the weather. It is generally more moderate in temperature than say, greater Boston but at the same time more subject to the effects of wind and water.

All of which is to say if it's sunny and mild you'll likely enjoy wandering around more than if it's dank, cold and raining.
Which it'll be is anyone's guess.

[This message has been edited by Bostom (edited 02-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Bostom (edited 02-11-2003).]
Old May 31, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT/Delta PM/Marriot Gold
I have been staying at this property since I was 13 years old, I am now 33, the hotel only has two suites, the Bay colony suite and the commonwealth suite, have been SPG platinum for 6 years and the several times I have stayed there was never upgraded to a suite, understandable they only have two, no free breakfast, many restaurants in the area but you have to drive trying to cross route 6a will get you killed, the hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, I like it because the Wellfleet Beachcomber is nearby and right on the ocean. great place to go for some evening cocktails, you just have to be prepared not to expect too much from this property, its an older four points in cape cod and the only time they do business is the summer.
Old May 31, 2005, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any other decent properties in the area with SPG? Seems that 4P Hyannis isnt so great.
Old May 31, 2005, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT/Delta PM/Marriot Gold
used to be two sheratons in Hyannis, now its a four points, and the other is called I believe the cape codder, which was recently renovated, not much choice for SPG on Cape cod, Four points Eastham is ok, close to beaches, its just a cape cod resort which you have to understand not too luxurious, but for 7000 points a night depending on when you are going, not the worst deal also.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
a dump.

There seriously is no reason I can think of to stay here unless you subscribe to the rediculous notion that one must stay at a property that is part of chain, you can't get anything for cheap and are using points, you need a stay credit.

No clue as to what Plat is, not that it really matters as the property on a whole is not average Four Points IMO.

Do a bit of research on non-chain properties in an area that you are staying, traffic can suck depending upon time of year you are going. You'll be much happier.

I'm all for points, miles etc etc. The Cape and *W properties is an area that one should break from the FT madness and go elsewhere.

Thankfully we only spent one night here.

--
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, BA GLD
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
a dump.

There seriously is no reason I can think of to stay here unless you subscribe to the rediculous notion that one must stay at a property that is part of chain, you can't get anything for cheap and are using points, you need a stay credit.

No clue as to what Plat is, not that it really matters as the property on a whole is not average Four Points IMO.

Do a bit of research on non-chain properties in an area that you are staying, traffic can suck depending upon time of year you are going. You'll be much happier.

I'm all for points, miles etc etc. The Cape and *W properties is an area that one should break from the FT madness and go elsewhere.

Thankfully we only spent one night here.

--
Completely agree to the poster above. As a platinum paying $305 rate I got a small room with two narrow "double" beds (though I requested king), no window and a balcony overlooking *indoor* pool with sump and hot air! Air condition was old and noisy and did not have "Fan On" setting so kept switching on and off during the night going from loud howling to quite but stuffy air and back. Probably the worst hotel experience I had in years. My wife even said that a tent in a campground would be more comfortable.

For less money I would rather stay in a nearby Wellfleet Motel and Lodge that I was never a big fan of. It has much bigger rooms with windows and has direct access to trails to National Seashore as well as Cape Cod Bike Trail. But one has to try oneself to know. Next time I will definitely make a different choice even if I miss a beloved qualifying stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.