Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Arrow Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

I just spent one night here. I had a rate of $169. When I arrived at the hotel, a really friendly two-person desk staff greeted me. I was informed that I'd been put on the Club level. It was a textbook, "we're really glad you're staying with us" check-in, where they actually CHECKED to see if a further upgrade was available, without my asking. I found out that suites were all occupied. That was fine....what a very nice desk staff!

The room was a big disappointment. It was a king with a nice view of the atrium. However, temperature control was non-existent. It was either 60 degrees or 80 degrees. The main heat register vent fell out of the wall with a crash on to my room service tray, and I wondered what would be next.

The bed was adequate, but not really comfortable when compared to many Sheraton, W, and Westin properties. The room was clean, but had some dents that told me it had seen better days.

What really got me was the bathroom. It looked as though they had never wiped the walls down next to the sink, which had splatters of someone's toothpaste on the wall (a sloppy brusher, no doubt). This obvious and nasty oversight on the housekeeping staff's part made me wary of the overall cleanliness of the room. There were a few more plumbing issues, but I'll leave them to your imagination. I reported all these issues to the GM before I left the hotel, who apologized for my disappointment, and asked me to try the hotel again in the future.

Had it been more than one night, I'd have requested a new room. As it was, I did my entertaining, went to sleep, and got out the next morning.

The other disappointment here was the evening service in the Club lounge. There was a nice fruit display in the evening, and some small quiches. Nothing sweet, and no coffee! In fact, the attendant looked as though I had just asked for cyanide when I suggested a cup of coffee. Morning service was much better.

A fitness center with run-down equipment is offset by a beautiful and well-maintained indoor pool area.

All in all, I think I just got a bad room. I ran in to several staff members and wish that every hotel I stayed in had staff like this. FRIENDLY! WARM! HELPFUL! The hotel is very pretty, has EXCELLLENT food, and is within a five-minute walk of the historic sites.
And yes, when I return to Philly, I'll give it another shot.
Old May 30, 2003, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Sheraton Society Hill (PHL) - great customer service

Was there recently on a Priceline stay. Luggage had been delayed on NW. 15 hours later, still no luggage. Called NW - they had delivered it to the hotel at midnight the previous night. Brought this to the front desk's attention; they soon found my bag.

20 minutes later, I got a call from Sanjeev (sp?) at the front desk, apologizing for their mistake in not delivering the bag. He said he would give me 4000 Starpoints as a goodwill gesture. Points posted 2 days later.

Way to go, Sanjeev and Starwood! This is the kind of customer service that sticks in one's memory.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:16 am

Sanjeev is a gem.

On a cash & points stay there last fall...we came across some things I am now finding is par for the course for this well run but run down property...bathroom fixtures moving away from the wall, mold on carpet, curdled half and half in the coffee setup.

One brief conversation yielded many apologies and a full refund of the cash and the points.

I hope they spruce this place up. Fantastic location and the staff is top notch!
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:01 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Society Hill, Philly. Any recent experience?

Did a search and found basically nothing but negative comments about the property. Will be attending a conference there in March, and am thinking about staying there. But the comments (mostly from 02 and 03) are so bad that I'm wondering if I should go somewhere else.
Any recent stay experience would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
I've stayed there frequently... the location is incredible! Restaurants and bars are only a couple blocks away, and its very safe and popular to get out and walk around the city at night.

Rooms are your standard Sheraton rooms...with the upgraded beds. Although be sure to request a room next to the elevators (it can be a long walk if you don't). Parking is valet only, but you might luck out with some free parking on the street.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:45 am

Society Hill Sheraton

Stayed there two months ago. Safe. Great location. Rooms not that great - don't accept a room on the "view" side if you are a light sleeper because the street below is VERY LOUD!! I didn't find any of the rooms particularly inviting. I doubt I got an upgrade even though I specifically requested one. Service was okay. SPG lounge was okay - at least there is one versus the Westin not having anything.

If you like sushi - Morimoto (723 Chestnut) is fantastic.

Good luck!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan & Starwood & Marriott
Avoid

We stayed at the Society Hill over the Thanksgiving weekend and had the worst stay ever at a Starwood property.

Here is part of an email I sent to Customer Care after our stay:

On Thursday:

The first room (3116) we received smelled very unfresh with a very strong stale smoke smell (in a non smoking room). Housekeeping said that the smell was normal and suggested that we turn on the air conditioning to reduce the humidity. Given that it was 40F in Philadelphia on Thursday night this was not an acceptable solution. After talking to the front desk again we were offered another room and given two free breakfast vouchers.

On Friday:

In room 2088 the toilet overflowed (there was no paper or anything else in the toilet that should have caused this to happen). It took housekeeping 40 minutes to clean up the water on the floor and remove the wet towels. However, they did not leave any new towels, thus we had to call the front desk again to request new towels. On Friday night there was a wedding at the hotel, when some of the quests returned at 2AM they decided it would be fun to be a loud as possible, waking us (and the baby in the room next door) up. After calling the front desk they loud guests finally quieted down. Then we were woken up by housekeeping while making up the room next door. Given that the walls are very, very thin we had the worse night sleep possible.

The sound levels appear to be a major issue at this hotel (posted on hotel review boards) tripadvisor.com etc. Maybe the hotel should do something about it and not pretend it doesn't exist.

Other issues:

Hot tub not working on Thursday or Friday we didn't check on Saturday

Women's washroom on the main floor was flooded on Saturday
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:23 am

Stayed in ALL Starwood Properties in Philly This Year

I was in Philly for total of 6 wks this year and I've had my share of the Starwood properties there. The best thing Society Hill Sheraton has going for them is their location, as it is walking distance (3 blocks; although the cobblestone streets are not exactly stiletto-friendly!) from the many restaurants, clubs, bars along Market & Second st. The hotel and service was ok. Nothing to brag about. Notably, my week there was during the Fourth of July festivites and the property was completely sold out. As such, I did not get a suite upgrade, even though I asked for it ahead of time as a Platinum member.

The hotel staff seemed eager to help but can't say they were all that effective. The concierge was also helpful in suggesting a few good restaurants & lounges and making reservations on our behalf.

Lastly, the atmosphere of the hotel is quaint and "villegey."

Good luck! - JC
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:09 pm
cwc

Philly Society Hill & Club Lounge?

I heard it was "recently" renovated. Do they have sweet sleepr bed? I got an excellent rate which include w/ Club Lounge Access and 25$ AE gift cheque per night. When is the lounge open for breakfast? Can we use the 25$ AE cheque to pay for part of the room rate?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I had a highly satisfactory stay at this property over the Thanksgiving holiday
I changed my booking from the Park Hyatt my hotel of preference in the area for an ongoing Starpoint promotion at the time. I probably would have never set foot in the property otherwise.
The hotel helped me with good travel instructions and upgraded me to an excellent set up during a slower then average period.The agents were above average and friendly at the front desk.

Yes they have the Sweet Sleeper ^ The room I was in had bottled water and a Bose Stereo on the night stand.

The club lounge didn't seem to be renovated at the time but then I don't know what it was like before.The lounge offerings were fairly extensive but not of exceptional quality
Nice variety of beverages and they were generous with whatever was there
The lounge was so jammed for breakfast with no place to sit that they gave breakfast coupons for the dining room.I didn't accept at the time and wandered down the hallway back to the room with cereal and fruit which was very adequate for my needs and made my time more productive then venturing downstairs

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 17, 2006 at 7:54 am
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sheraton Society Hill - Philly (am I too picky?)

Just completed a 2 night stay at this property per the advice of this Board. While I haven't stayed at the nearby Westin or Sheraton City Center that this board universally pans, there were some positives at this property.

Despite some of the fears raised on this board, the rooms are comfortable and quiet. I was on the 3rd floor and the room was fine, equipped with the Sweet Sleeper bed and decent linens.

The bathrooms are below standard for a property like this (IMHO), especially the awkward door that swings out into the main room - quite annoying really.

On the "nitpicky" side, I found most of the service elements quite poor.

(1) Upon checkin, I inquired about a room upgrade and was told "sold out"/nothing available, etc.... I got upto the room and logged and low and behold I could "purchase" a room on the Club Floor as well as a junior suite. I chose not to call down and complain/inquire as this is just too much of a hassle and I'm sure most of the time, the hotel is counting on this type of non-response.

Although I am a "lowly Gold", there is just something disingenuous about the way these "non-upgrades" are handled. I know from perusing this board that my experience is hardly unique and many times simple upgrades (not the Presidential Suite) are available and routinely not given.

How about a bit of honesty and forthrightness? A "sorry Mr. RPRocket, we don't upgrade Golds" might bring a little less distrust than the outright falsehoods proffered by the front desk folks.

(2) As I pulled in with my vehicle, I waited at the mandatory valet counter (no self parking) for a solid 5-7 minutes before leaving the vehicle and proceeding to check in. Nary a valet or bell captain could be found. Upon completing check-in, I explained the absence of valet personnel to the front desk and asked if they would handle the parking of my vehicle. To my astonishment, he said no - I would have to handle it myself and he could do nothing. He offered to ring the valet desk and told me to go back to me vehicle (with all of my luggage in tow) and wait. So wait I did - finally someone shows up and without a greeting, proceeds to give the car the full "Rent A Car" nicks and dings assessment before he accepts the keys. Am I at a full service hotel?

(3) Check out. The bill arrives under the door during the evening and contains an error, which the front des mercifully corrected. Upon inquiring for a new folio/receipt with the revised charges, I am told they cannot print receipts with "zero" balances and that if I wanted an accurate statement I was free to call accounting?

(4) Valet Reprise. At around 415am this morning (I had a 6am flight). I called down to my friends in valet parking and gave them my ticket number. Fair enough. After sauntering down to checkout around 430, someone from the bell desk approached the check out desk and asks if I have a car I need retrieved. Fair enough, I told him I already called down but gave him my name and ticket number once more. After making my way out from expecting the vehicle, the same man is just sitting around. After 5 mins, I inquire where might my vehicle be. He flustered around cluelessly, made a couple of calls and couldn't figure out what had happened. 15-20 minutes later, he along with my vehicle arrive and Mr. Valet says "someone had your car but left the keys in it". Whatever that means.

So ... while none of these inconveniences were truly disastrous, the fact that the running theme at this property seemed to be "Bad Service at Every Customer Touchpoint", I'm asking myself if my expectations are out of line for a property of this caliber (mid-tier).
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
This is not one of the better Sheraton properties. Stay here if you must but don't get your hopes up.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Carlos,

Spent 2 nights at the Society Hill last weekend and defintely mixed feelings about it...

Location is great for historic area, and there is a trolley stop right outside the hotel - trolley is a great way to see the city.

Room on the second floor was newly renovated and pretty nice. Nice plasma TV and comfortable bed.

Rate was good at $139/night.

Now the not so good...

Check in: The website showed plenty of Club Floor and suite availability, and when I called ahead to inquire about upgrades was told they were not that busy and that the club lounge was open for breakfast and cocktails all weekend. The desk agent at check-in said they were full and no upgrades were available Called the plat concierge later and she spoke to the hotel manager and confirmed they were full...don't know what to believe.

Was told at check in that the club lounge was closed until Saturday PM? Was able to get two breakfast vouchers because of it - nice because the buffet is $20.

Lobby is very nice. Got off the elevator on the 2nd floor to the smell of varnish - one of the elevators was open and under construction. Whole hallway smelled. Walking to my room there were 4 rooms under construction - doors removed (lovely site), dust and dirt in the air all weekend. Random cardboard box with coat hangers that sat in the hallway all weekend???

Breakfast was nice - good buffet, but the service is definitely lacking. There was a bit of a crowd and the 1 server was seriously overmatched.

Woke up Sunday to find a bill for $329/night under my door. My parents were in another room and recieved the same rate. Went down to the front desk and straightened it out.

Headed to the club lounge on 4th floor. Keys didn't work Back to the lobby where I was told the lounge wouldn't be open that weekend?? Another free breakfast, but come one!! Just give me some correct info.

Indoor pool on the 4th floor is very nice and the kids enjoyed it. Check out was smooth and all rates and overages were adjusted.

Overall the place is nice and in the end it all worked out, but they need some training and attention to detail! I understand there are renovations going on, but the management doesn't have an eye for the little things that make an impression. I'd stay there again, but I'm certainly not impressed...

Long story short - if you can get a good rate try the Westin
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:53 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
Review of Society Hill Sheraton

I stayed here twice within the last three weeks and enjoyed the hotel and the area. From the airport, if you go to the transportation desk by the baggage claim and ask for the Liberty Shuttle, they pick you up right there and take you to the hotel for a flat $10 rate. It took about 4 minutes for them to arrive and we picked up some other people at other baggage claims, but the Society Hill hotel is the first stop when going into the city. If you have more than one person, consider the cost, because a cab from the airport is a flat $28.00.

The hotel is in a wonderful area for people visiting the city who enjoy the historical parts and even the trendy South Street or the dock at the river, which are all right there. This would be a good choice for families. The lobby was quite nice and check in was easy. I thought the cash and points rate was a steal. The room was spacious and had a flat screen tv and an updated bathroom with a nice tub. There was a wedding going on one of the nights I was there and I didn't hear a thing.

The breakfast is rather pricey (I asked for an upgrade to the club room, and since I am a lowly Gold, they said I could get it, but they would charge me $40 a night and although I had never heard of that before, I declined as I couldn't imagine it being worth $40. I thought the room I had was ok, and I went out to get a bagel for breakfast and spent $5.00.)

There are quite a number of places to eat around there, including the old Bookbinder's restaurant (Last time I ate there was 1980, I think) and the pub/restaurant--forgot the name--where Franklin, Washington, et. al, used to hang out and they offer the same menu as in revolutionary times, and the whole place is pretty historically interesting. I would think kids would get a kick out of it. There are also a number of upscale and ethnic places, and, a couple blocks away is the Snow White Diner--a hole in the wall, cheap cheap place for breakfast/lunch that is totally worth going to for budget minded folk.

If you need to get back to the airport, reserve the shuttle the day before--it comes twice an hour, but only if you pre-reserve, and it is still $10 to get to the airport. Plus, the hotel is the last stop, so you don't have to pick up others. I liked this hotel and enjoyed walking around the area--even went to a movie because there is a cineplex across the street. The area seems very safe and is quaint-looking, with cobblestones and brick, etc.
Cash and Points would be the way to go with this hotel.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
I forgot to add that this hotel offers a few computers in the lobby for free internet use, which saved some money, so that was a nice perk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.