Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:10 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Sheraton Crystal City vs Sheraton National

This was posed about 8 months ago and had a few responses at this URL:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/004016.html

Anything new comparing these two properties?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:50 pm

Nothing new, but I'd recommend the Crystal City one. It's a much better location.

[This message has been edited by Alysia (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:27 pm

Stayed at the Sheraton Crystal City this year. Very easy walk to the Metro and underground shopping mall. Its half a block tops. Never stayed at National
Old Jan 16, 2003, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Stayed at National. It was just rennovated, seemed nice. The concierge lounge had a nice breakfast. Hot food, with lots of fresh fruit. Ihad heavenly bed. Paid $68 on a Thursday night. Crystal City is a better location.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 4:55 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

We will be staying at both of these hotels in the next month or so.

For the National it seems we can choose between an oversize King in the "Tower", a King in the "Lower building" or a King on a SPG floor - anyone have any tips about which room to go for? (I am only Gold so I guess I won't I will not have access to the lounge in any case)

As they are both on the VA side of the river we are expecting that parking will be something under $20 per day - are we in for a shock?

Thanks.

-- Dambus

Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dambus:

For the National it seems we can choose between an oversize King in the "Tower", a King in the "Lower building" or a King on a SPG floor - anyone have any tips about which room to go for? (I am only Gold so I guess I won't I will not have access to the lounge in any case)

As they are both on the VA side of the river we are expecting that parking will be something under $20 per day - are we in for a shock?
</font>
Just stayed at Sheraton National. Is on VA side, close to Pentagon but off the beaten path. Quick drive to Pentagon City for retail/restaurant. Parking $16/day. Stayed on 12th Floor in Tower. Both 12th and 14th are "club" floors, and had access to lounge on 14 as gold. Nice room, unimpressive room service menu range.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 5:29 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Thanks for the information!

-- Dambus
Old Mar 28, 2003, 7:32 am

On weekends at the Crystal City location you could park on the street. It's metered, but on the weekends its free.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 7:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alysia:
On weekends at the Crystal City location you could park on the street. It's metered, but on the weekends its free. </font>
At least when I was there in mid-February, one could park in the underground garage at the Crystal City location for free on the weekends.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 6:50 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I have to cast my vote for the Sheraton National, at least in terms of service and room quality. My recent stay at the Crystal City property was pretty poor. Room service put me on hold for 10 minutes twice before I gave up. I sent out a shirt to be dry cleaned that the hotel (or the cleaners, to be fair) lost and I'm still trying to work out compensation. One elevator was broken and the others took several minutes to show up. My last experience at the Sheraton National was quite good, with a nice room, good, kind service and decent food. The only advantage of Crystal City is access to the Metro.
Old Apr 12, 2003, 8:16 am

Sheraton Crystal City -

How is the upgrade success (Platinum) at this hotel? Also, are there any rooms with high speed internet access?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

"Parlor Room"?

The following is what I just reserved at the Sheraton Crystal City for $97 for a Friday night one-night stay:

Beds: Parlor/No Standard Bed
Room Features: Parlor, Club Floor Non-Smoking, Sofa Bed, Desk And Data Port, 2 Speakerphones W/Dataport, Recently Renovated Parlor Room That Have Living Room Area With A Pull Out Sofa Bed

Has anybody had experience with a Parlor room at this place? I have another reservation for a non-Club King room for the same night for $129 which I can cancel. Everytime I've stayed here as a Gold I've been upgraded to the Club Floor anyway.

I don't have a problem sleeping with most sofa beds, but I'd like any comments that people have about the "parlor".

Anyway, who knows -- I might get a Club King anyway for the $97...
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:09 am

Programs: *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Parlor

I've stayed at the Crystal City for the past year and a half once a month. Great location but the renovations (which seems to have lasted forever) and the elevators do take away from an overall nice hotel. And the aforementioned proximity to the METRO and the undergound mall keeps bringing me back.
I believe the "Parlor" room is in reference to the Club rooms on the 15th Floor. They seem to be the same size at the Club rooms on the 14th but have a very high four poster bed. Very high meaning they provide a two step ladder for you to get into and out of the bed. Making middle of the night bathroom trips interesting if you forget how high you are.
That being said - I always ask for a room on the 14th floor - nice large work desk and Wayport access. You do have to wait for the elevator to get to the Club lounge on the 15th floor - but since its closed on the weekends I don't use it much.
Staying at the National next month, first time since it's renovation - I'll post a report after my stay.
I believe it's been said in numerous other forums but stay away from the Sheraton Pentagon South! Stayed there last month and it was horrible.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the "Parlor" room is in reference to the Club rooms on the 15th Floor.
I don't think so. It's standard hotel nomenclature for "Parlor Room" to mean the living room area alone, of what would normally be a 2 room Suite. Which is exactly how DivMiler's confirmation reads. Parlor rooms usually only have a sofa or Murphy bed.

The normal rooms with the high 4 poster beds at this hotel that confirm on the 15th floor, confirm as follows:

Beds: 1 King
Room Features: Executive Club Rm, Highspeed Internet For A Fee, Bathrobe, Speakerphone W/Dataport, Color Tv W/Cable, Recently Renovated Room With Chippendale Furniture And Four Post Bed That Have All Amenities With Club Privilege
Here's some photos I took recently of one of the Executive Club Rooms:

http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/sherDCA1509.jpg

But that's not what DivMiler has confirmed, IMHO. They've got a Parlor Room that would normally be just the living room section of a 2 room Suite. It's not uncommon for hotels to split one Suite into 2 separate bookable units, like this.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Sheraton Crystal City Renovations through Mar 31, 2005?

I just noticed that from January 10 through March 31, 2005 the hotel will be undergoing renovations. Any experiences so far that anybody would like to report?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.