Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]

Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]

Old Apr 13, 2003, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Arrow Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]

I had a pleasant overnight stay there last weekend.

The hotel is the re-flagged Intercontinental, a twenty-seven story structure. The building looks of about mid-to-late 1980's vintage and is in good condition.

The location is very conveinent: An easy two block walk from the Hauptbahnhof, and within walking distance of the city center (many of the streetcar/tram lines intersect in front of the Hbf).

Check-in for this award stay (only 2000 *Points, a great bargain) was very courteous and prompt, and the request for nonsmoking was honored. The room was of decent if not lavish size, with a well-equipped bath with very good water pressure

Because the rooms begin on about the 12th floor, the views are excellent (mine looked out to the north).

I didn't avail myself of the restaurants, so can't comment, but a few selection of the room service menu are offered between 23:00 and 06:00.

There is a very large (and very busy and popular) two-level shopping mall on the two floors of the Hbf below the passenger area (fast-food options also are here). While I was there the Sesame Street characters had the kids in thrall (I thought about asking Ernie about that Bin Laden photo but thought better)

Check-out was perfect and the very nice clerk sent me off with a little refreshment bag for the trip to Berlin.

One minor caution: the street on which the hotel fronts, Gerberstrasse, is a VERY busy six-to-eight lane divided highway, so use caution when crossing)

Congratulations to the city of Leipzig, just named the official candidate for Germany's bid to host the Games of the XXX Olympiad (2012 - the IOC will award those Games in 2005).

Edited for typos

[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited 04-13-2003).]
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:00 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for your report. I've been quite curious to read anything about the new property.
Do you know if your room had already the Heavenly Bed and Shower?
Old Apr 14, 2003, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
LH738 - unfortunately neither the Heavenly Bed or heavenly Shower are in place yet - I think the re-flagging may have taken place only a few months ago, so retro-fitting of the Heavenly features is forthcoming.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 4:21 pm

Stayed aswell last weekend in Leipzig!

Saturday, in The Westin, I was upgrated (already well in advance - could check it in the online reservations) to a club level room with the splendid view from the 21. floor to the south.
Asking at check-in about a suite the lady asked her supervisor and he friendly told me, that they prepaired already the clubroom upgrade (good plat welcome amenity in the room indeed). I think they would give a suite, but I didn`t want to continue to ask.

The rooms are a bit small - 26 square meters, have a relatively big window (with that nice view to the south with that beautiful reconstructed old town, but mixed with some ugly eastgerman buildings) and the rooms have a strange mixed design (like someplaces the city). Most I liked the bathroom (nothing special but ok) the room itself was mixed with nice armchair, ultramodern (or whatever) designed glass-desk, but very old-fashioned and -looking wooden board for TV. The hotel floor was very elegant decorated (wallpaper), but the room-doors might be the same of the hotel opening of eastgerman times.
What I like to say is, that the large 27 floor building limit of course any reconstruction, but if one is done it should be more complete and not so partiell! It will take time (and some money) to make the change complete to a Westin.

Club Lounge was open after 6pm. It is located on the end of the 22. floor in a former suite.
Good opportunity to see a suite! The 2 rooms (1 to the north side with windows, 1 to the south with balcony) are a bit shorter than the normal hotel rooms, so there is a edge in the hotel building which limits the view a little bit out of the suite.
The lounge is small, maybe 8-10 places to sit, no staff (when I was there). In one room is a minibar with softdrinks and beer. In the other is a buffet with some fruit, canapees and red wine (Rioja -exellent one!- and Chianti, both with good temperature), white wine (Chardonay and one from Sachsen) and some sparkling wine. For cafe or tea you have to use the telefon to order.

Because of the small size there is no breakfast at the lounge!
I got free one at the 1. floor even I did not book it. (I don`t know if it`s their rule for all)

I was told that they start to rebuild a new Club Lounge at the 27.floor and hope to open it around October 2003. Hopefully I can visit it in Dezember (I plan to go for christmas-market)!

One thing to mention. The hotel shows in internet, hotel-directory in the room or in the elevator the Japanese restaurant Yamato. This restaurant belongs not to the hotel!
So you can not bill onto your room account and get no points!
The restaurant is exellent, but I came in a very embarassing situation with no money to pay. I went to reception that they pay out, because the hotel did not mention that special relation.
Anyway I wonder if I have to fight for the missing dining-points if the hotel advertise a restaurant as a hotel-restaurant?

At all a nice stay and they have good (and enough) staff!

Not really belonging to the topic, Sunday I stayed at the Fuerstenhof in Leipzig.
If someone make a search for Leipzig here to add my report.

The Fuerstenhofis located just 2 blocks (or 300m)from the Westin (but in the other direction than the main station) and a bit closer to the old city.
Its a elegant old house with a absolute different character like the big Westin.
Inside the design is complete and it really good combines the old atmosphere of the house and rooms with the new materials, decoration and modern furniture.
Last year I got a court-side room(free weekend promo) - quiet, not small and nice style.
This year, as Plat, I got a suite!
(Finally I realize that it was worth to make all these stays last year!)
Suites are in the bigger rooms with the windows to the main street (good windows - no noise). Superb bathroom, large elegant room room with good armchairs to relaxe, good looking double-bed (actually this could be a better one, like quality of Westins heavenly bed) and a extra entrance-room where you can leave all your belongings.
At all, this hotel is really the higher category (5*, like the prizes).
Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:05 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Both properties in Leipzig (and the town itself) seam to be worth a weekend ... JR-Flyer, Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:10 am

Arrow Lounge closed, Lobby under renovation, Restaurant Falcon closed

Hi,

the Westin in Leipzig is undergoing quit a bit of remodeling. Lounge is closed. Lobby is under renovation until end of March. Top-floor restaurant Falcon to be reopened in February.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:34 am

Programs: LH SEN CX GOLD SPG PLT Hyatt Diamond IC PLT Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by BalluBallu
Hi,

the Westin in Leipzig is undergoing quit a bit of remodeling. Lounge is closed. Lobby is under renovation until end of March. Top-floor restaurant Falcon to be reopened in February.
thats why the hotel goes for currently 60 EURO a nigth incl. tax.

Most of the hotel rooms are already renovated so for 60 euro its a bargain.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:14 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
just wanted to throw my two cents in...doesn't seem to be any posts, post-renovation.

this is a really nice looking hotel. the lobby space is cool, the bar area is cool. the elevators and hallways are cool. flat-screen TVs in the rooms, comfortable beds (don't think they're heavenly, but the german-style comforter and big pillow combo), nice big showers (again, not heavenly, but really nice, maybe better?).

i felt like it was an incredible bargain for 3K points. I think it's much nicer than some of the cat 3s i've stayed in (krakow sheraton, for example...very nice, but the westin leipzig just really shines right now). couldn't believe that a weekend stay there was just 3000 points. compared to a lot of the cat 2 properties in the states i've seen, particularly.

i don't have starwood status anymore, i'm in point-burn mode, so i had no recognition, obviously. but the standard room is pretty nice. and i was on floor 20, looking over the city. great view.

free high-speed internet in the room (!?)...can borrow their cable for a 15 euro deposit.

free bottled water (usually 3,50) just for being SPG member

only weird thing: the bathroom is 2cm or so above the rest of the room, and there's a metal lip there. i can't imagine that people aren't constantly stubbing their toes on these lips. i cut open the bottom of my foot once, and the top of my toe later. very odd. maybe you get used to it, or maybe i shuffle my feet, who knows.

even the minibar beer wasn't too bad at 3,20.

so highly recommended, particularly at the price/point level. just watch your feet when you go to the bathroom.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Platinum
We stayed at the Westin Leipzig last year when it was still a cat. 1. It was a great deal for 2000 points per weekend night. We were upgraded to a large corner suite on one of the upper floors. The staff was nice and the location was great. I would still highly recommend it as a cat. 2.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
i agree with the other postings, staying there sometimes a year before going to the airport. platinum upgrade to junior or deluxe suite at 22 ++ floor, free drinks at the falco bar during happy hour, serving drinks up to 100 bucks per glass. for early departure breakfast give away is provided with sandwiches, coffee etc.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:17 am

Breakfast included?

Originally Posted by Kenji
i agree with the other postings, staying there sometimes a year before going to the airport. platinum upgrade to junior or deluxe suite at 22 ++ floor, free drinks at the falco bar during happy hour, serving drinks up to 100 bucks per glass. for early departure breakfast give away is provided with sandwiches, coffee etc.
Interesting thread...

I've got a forthcoming stay booked as Plat at a rate that includes breakfast, or I could opt for a lower rate excluding breakfast. Is breakfast provided either at the Lounge or given to Plat members generally?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Question

Any recent news?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:41 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Any recent news?
I've got news from a Sept 07 stay...

First, no lounge.

I mentioned this on a different thread with Blonde Bomber's Lounge chart.
The hotel claimed it was no longer in existence. Concerned that it may be a language misinterpretation, I did actually check the upper floors for a sign of a lounge. No lounge.

I was upgraded to a high floor, large 2 room end unit suite with views in two directions, and three if you step out onto the balcony. This suite also featured a very complicated three room bathroom arrangment. Overall, the suite was nicely decorated, spacious, and a nice upgrade.

As my room rate included breakfast (good thing I didn't count on the lounge), that was served in one of the hotel restaurants. I don't recall the food as being special, but not bad either. Buffet style. Good selection.

Hotel is within easy walking distance of the hauptbahnhof (main train station), and it integrated shopping center.

Good value for money and I would stay there again!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Was there last week. Was upgraded to a nice junior suite in the 23th floor. Free bottle of water and Bulgari products in the bath. Good room service.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Was there last week. Was upgraded to a nice junior suite in the 23th floor. Free bottle of water and Bulgari products in the bath. Good room service.
I second this. Checked out last saturday from a junior suite on 23rd floor. Very nice hotel. Will return for sure.

Perhaps you were the late checkout on friday. It took a while to get our room (2301) ready...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.