Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Reston, Virginia 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Reston, Virginia 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Reston, Virginia 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Hi folks,

Just booked a room at the Sheraton Reston, VA for 1 night. SInce Search is down (and I cant stand Google/flyertalk search), does anyone have a review of this property?

Thanks!
Mikey

PS - the reason I am looking for a review after booking the room: This was a Priceline reservation, so I did not know which hotel would pop up.

Last edited by Mikey; Mar 25, 2005 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:22 am

New form of Platinum recognition at check-in

Upon check-in at 11pm the other night (after flying for more than 24 hours and being on three continents), I received the strangest Platinum welcome I have ever encountered: "We are very sorry, but the hotel is completely filled and we will put you up at a Holiday Inn." When I managed to sputter that I am a Platinum member, this should never happen, and that I have a credit-card guaranteed confirmed reservation, the only response was "Sorry". After a few more minutes of discussion, with my asking the desk agent to double check, he said that he found my pre-blocked suite. He did offer a 500 point bonus for this episode, but it certainly reinforced the notion that a significant fraction of one's opinion of a hotel is formed at check-in!

Last edited by ehe123; Nov 7, 2005 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, US Silver
I stayed at this hotel for a few months about 2 years ago and can honestly say the service, at least at the front desk was horrendous. However their incompetence spread to their willingness to give out thousands of starpoints. It’s almost as if they know their service is terrible and rectify it by throwing points at you. It got to the point where I would put up with the morons at the desk since I knew they would be giving me points without requesting/complaining. I have lived at several starwood hotels for extended periods of time and never received so many points so easily. On another note, if at all possible I would drive 15 minutes to the Sheraton Premiere in Tysons Corner. The staff is very friendly and the area is much better. I don't have a whole lot of experience with weekend rates at business hotels but the Sheraton Reston has such a huge Delta from weekday rates to Weekends. Weekdays 200+, weekends 50+.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
A lot of the bad reports in this thread is dated to at least 2 or more years ago. Lately, as in other threads (which you can search for), this hotel has gotten more positive reports overall, especially after the hotel was apparently renovated a couple of years ago or so.

I stayed at this hotel about 2 weeks ago while attending a conference and as a SPG Gold, was upgraded to Club level. Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and I wouldn't hesistate to stay at this hotel again. Maybe it was just bad luck/night when ehe123 has trouble checking in.

I've also had good experience with Tysons Corner Sheraton Premiere, although I did find it rather odd that the main resturant is never open for dinner. Guess plenty of guests eat elsewhere.

YMMV though.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:38 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent experiences here? I'm thinking about staying here 1-2 nights a week (currently encamped at the Hyatt down the street) to work on maintaining my Platinum status. I don't have a car and am working at Reston Town Center, so can't try out the Sheraton in Tyson's Corner.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by wizzy
Any recent experiences here? I'm thinking about staying here 1-2 nights a week (currently encamped at the Hyatt down the street) to work on maintaining my Platinum status. I don't have a car and am working at Reston Town Center, so can't try out the Sheraton in Tyson's Corner.

I would rather stay at the Sheraton Premiere Tyson's Corner, then here.. Just recently did one night at both; TC- Sorry Lounge is closed, but here are breakfast vouchers. Reston- Sorry Lounge is closed. (this was a weekend).

-Vincent
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:39 am

I'm in the middle of my first stay here, so I thought I'd post some observations.

I'm working locally, so used the free shuttle to get to the hotel. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes between 7a-10p; to get picked up, you call about 10 minutes to the half hour (so 6:50 for the 7:00 shuttle). I was picked up about 10-15 minutes after the shuttle left the hotel.

At checkin, my platinum status wasn't mentioned until I was about to head towards my room. The clerk asked what amenity I wanted; I took the points. Got to my room, and it wasn't the K I had reserved, so went back down. I had seen online earlier that I'd been upgraded from a standard K to a club K, so was surprised. At the front desk, another clerk helped me and looked through the preassigned platinum stack. Sure enough, I was in there with a different room. For some reason, she scribbled out the room I had been preassigned and checked in to, and put me in a 3rd room. Not sure if they had already put someone in my original room, as the room I finally ended up with was across the hall and didn't appear to be any different.

The gym is small. One treadmill, one bike, one elipse-type machine. Nautilus weight equipment. One TV in the corner viewable from all over.

The lounge is open until 9pm, and has complimentary beer and wine. The snack the night I went was chicken wings, in addition to cheese/crackers. Also, they had full-size slices of cheesecake, which was pretty good.

Breakfast service is self-service, although there is a lounge attendent to make sure that things stay stocked. Tiny boxes of cereal, bottles of juice, yougurt, some pastries, and fruit made up the selection. Both mornings that I've been in I've seen very few others. The first two times I went to the lounge the door was propped open. Today it was locked for the first time, and my key didn't work. Others seemed to have this same experience, although I did see at least one key work. When I asked the front desk about it, they recoded my key after telling me that I already had access to the lounge.

I put in two maintenance requests on Tuesday morning. When I returned, one had been addressed, but no sign of repair for the other (faucet that drips). Reported it again this morning, hopefully it's fixed tonight.

Overall, the hotel is functional but nothing special. I'll probably go back to the Hyatt down the street once my promos are over this month, and hope that my next project gets me close to a better SPG property.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:04 pm

My last comments for a while, as I'm headed back to the Hyatt.

Two stays this week, one night each. Monday night I was given a 2-room suite on the 2nd floor, a long ways from the reception desk. It wrapped behind the elevators on the "other" side of the building. Both rooms were narrow, and the carpet/furnishings in the living room area seemed pretty dingy. The light switch in the bedroom didn't control anything, so I had to feel around for a few minutes to find a light to turn on. Same with the bathroom.

Last night, arrived late (> 10pm) and overheard someone in line in front of me being told that they could honor his K reservation, and that he'd been given 2 doubles. Gave him 1000 points to make up for it. I was a bit worried, but my room was a K on the "close" side of the building (the one above the reception desk) next to the service elevator. Not on the club floor, but they were sold out.

I continually had issues with the key cards at this hotel. I think that the readers in the doors are old. The lounge took 5-6 tries to open, and my room took more than 1 as well.

One word of caution about the shuttle. It does leave every half hour, but depending on the crowd, it can take a while to get to your destination. On Tuesday the 7:30am shuttle got me to my desk my 7:45am. This morning, the same shuttle took 20 minutes longer (8:05) because it was packed. Fortunately the person I was meeting with at 8:00 was also delayed, so it worked out.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Booked here again here again for Friday Nov 10 --

Starwood website Rates are $79 for that night Punki advises me, and that is almost at Priceline levels, (apologies for the old $50 thread heading which I cannot alter!) so have swapped over from the Dulles Hilton to be here. ^

Any recent reports on this place?

Been a couple years since I stayed, and reports from then above were patchy as is evident from some posts above.

Last edited by ldsant; Sep 27, 2006 at 5:46 pm Reason: cross-posting;violation of TOS
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:25 pm
Yub

I've stayed at the Sheraton Reston a couple of times in the last month. On the first stay I was upgraded to Club Level on the 6th floor. Unfortunately, the Club Lounge is not open on Friday nights and weekends. There were two complimentary bottles of water in the room. The room itself was tired, but not awful.

On the second stay, I was not upgraded. I was given a refurbished room on the 3rd floor which was much nicer than the first room. I will definitely ask for a refurbished room in the future. The room was a designated SPG room and had one complimentary bottle of water.

One note about the $79 prepaid rate -- even though it was booked through SPG.com, it shows on the bill summary as under the third party internet booking column, and no Starpoints were credited. I pointed this out when I checked out, and they apologized and corrected the error and gave me an extra 500 points.

They seem to have problems with the card keys. I had problems with bad card keys both times, and I noticed several other guests returning to the front desk for new card keys.

For the area, the $79 prepaid rate is a bargain and I would not hesitate to stay here on that rate. What's really nice is that it's usually available starting on Thursday night and through the rest of the weekend, whereas other properties don't start their weekend rates until Friday night. There is also an $89 rate that allows cancellation.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH peon
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Booked here again here again for Friday Nov 10 --

Starwood website Rates are $79 for that night Punki advises me, and that is almost at Priceline levels, (apologies for the old $50 thread heading which I cannot alter!) so have swapped over from the Dulles Hilton to be here. ^

Any recent reports on this place?

Been a couple years since I stayed, and reports from then above were patchy as is evident from some posts above.

I'm considering this same place w/the internet rate you mention for this coming Friday night. Still waiting to hear from a friend who lives in the area, but if I do stay here, will report back on current condition.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH peon
This link http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...heraton+Reston seems to indicate that the Sheraton Reston offers free booze. For some that alone might be worth the $79 Internet Rate. After all who cares what the room is like if the beer and wine is free.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
1-night stay, Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. I was visiting family in the area, and needed a place close to them for a 10 hour stay (check in, go to sleep, wake up, shower, leave). So, I shopped by rate - $89 was the best SPG in 10 miles, so I took it. I got my $$ worth.

Although the parking lot was no more than 1/4 full at 11pm Saturday (and again at 9am Sunday), there were supposedly no suites available. I was "upgraded" from my prepaid accessible room to a club-level king. FD didn't ask about amenity, so I told her after she gave me my card key. She didn't know lounge hours, so asked another employee nearby who said 6am open for breakfast.

Room was average size, aging but still acceptable furniture; bed was fine. Bathroom outdated, but clean & functional.

Sunday AM I went to the lounge and - surprise, surprise - no breakfast on weekends. So, I called FD and got a verbal apology, with the promise of comp breakfast in the restaurant. When we went down to check out, they had a completed voucher ready, but I told them (the truth) that we didn't have time because we were meeting someone (family, for breakfast) in 15 minutes. Without my asking, they offered 2500 points as comp; I graciously accepted

Points, plus amenity & stay, posted on time this morning.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA No staus, HHonors Gold, SPG none, Hyatt-none
I recently stayed at the Reston Sheraton for a week. I was able to get a AAA rate which included free internet service. Upon check-in, I was upgraded to a suite (I think there are maybe 1 per floor or something like that - 6 floors). The club lounge is very basic, continental type foods and and snacks in the pm are okay (chicken, pot stickers, etc). The suite I stayed in was nice, large LCD TVs in guest room and bedroom. It was odd to have bathroom next to the doorway and the next room over was the bedroom. Overall, a nice trip, staff was very nice. Since the club room was closed on Friday night, they gave me a coupon for dinner ($35).
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We're staying there next month - $75 including breakfast for two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.