Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel DUS, Germany [Master Thread]

Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel DUS, Germany [Master Thread]

Old Apr 4, 2000, 9:07 am
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Arrow Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel DUS, Germany [Master Thread]

I will be in Dusseldorf on business on May 19 and need two rooms (traveling with a female colleague). City seems sold out due to a huge trade show. I am Platinum with Starwood and they will force one room for me at their airport property, but not two rooms. Anyone have any suggestions. I have a 7:00am flight out the morning of the 20th, so I don't want to stay in Cologne or Essen.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 2:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MilesDependent:
Has anyone stayed at this property recently? Any comments? Couldn't see anything in the Starwood or Trip Reports sections.
</font>

I stayed at the Sheraton DUS Airport location back in February. Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would return.

As I was arriving by train and had a morning flight, this location was perfect.

Incidentally for those using the S-bahn, beware that there are two Dusseldorf Airport Stations, and you want the Dusseldorf Flughafen Terminal Station. Exit at the rear of the train, and you'll alight at the entrance nearest the hotel.

About the hotel location... it is located atop a parking garage, and the configuration of the hotel is akin to a smaller semi-circle nested within a larger semi-circle. This leads to view blockage if you're in the inner circle as I was.

As a Plat. I was upgraded to a 2-room suite, which is composed of two rooms joined together, but with living room furnishings in lieu of bedroom furnishings in one of the rooms.

Plat. amenity consisted of a nice fruit plate and bottled water.

Staff, from reception to bar to hotel dining room was very friendly and solicitous. Management was good, as I met them.

As the room was not quite ready when we checked in, and some modifications were required, we were invited to enjoy a drink in the bar, on them. The local beer served there was excellent.

There was one problem... there was no heat in either of the two rooms, and little heat to be found elsewhere in the hotel. As a snowfall had just dusted the city that day, this useful amenity was very much missed. Turning on two hairdryers (one in each bathroom) was of marginal help.

Seeking to warm up with a hot shower didn't work either, as lukewarm water was all that flowed from the showerhead. Since the hotel was short on linen, extra blankets were not an option either! Brrr!

But the hotel management was extremely apologetic, and at my suggestion, offered us free breakfast, which was a tasty repast.

With summer weather, hopefully hotel heating won't be an issue for those traveling soon.

Old Jan 29, 2003, 3:28 am

was there a couple years back, and had no status at the time. Was given a decent room, and b-fast coupon for the buffet. Convenient, as you just walk across the way to the terminal.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 5:54 am

If you have the flexibility, stay at the Four Points Dusseldorf. It is near city center and in a great neighborhood. Plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby.

You may catch a street car and be in the Old Town area in three minutes.

Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:23 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I actually have res at both the Airport Sheraton & the Hilton Dusseldorf at present.
Trying to decide between them.
Will arrive at 6pm ish from LHR on Sat, and need to be at the Fashion Fairground early on Sun morning. Leaving from there on Sunday early afternoon.

Any comments / advice ?

Thanks,

John P.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:03 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
ArabellaSheraton Airport Hotel Dsseldorf

ArabellaSheraton Airport Hotel Dusseldorf

+ firm, comfortable bed
+ bright light in the room
+ big safe with power outlet
+ excellent breakfast buffet (from 5:30), very good restaurant
+ very helpful porter
+ nice colours (wall, furniture) in the room
+ coffee/tea maker
+ soundproof windows
- no upgrade (at least executive rooms would have been available)
- no Platinum welcome gift
- no newspaper in the morning
- no clock in the room

That's what I booked
2 single beds
soundproof rooms equipped with voicebox, modem & digital lines

That's what I got
2 single beds
non-smoking room, superior room, modem access, voicemail, soundproof rooms equipped with voicebox, modem & digital lines

Zero status recognition and rather basic furnitures in the room: the room is for two persons - but has only one comfortable armchair and one additional chair. A couple can play "Journey to Jerusalem" to fight for the armchair. The room itself had nice colours and a very comfortable bed. A big plus is also the early opening of breakfast buffet at 5:30 in the morning (that's what I expect from an airport hotel - but it's still the exception).
The new SkyTrain (to DUS airport station) at DUS airport makes the way to Dsseldorf centre via DUS airport station much easier now.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like I had a bit better experience at the Arabella Sheraton DUS recently when I stayed there sharing a room with Catman for one night on our way back to the U.S. from a wedding.

Although we started off a bit on the wrong foot with our first check-in agent, who basically was nice, but didn't go to bat for us voluntarily. After we saw the room she assigned us, which was a King when we had reserved a room with 2 beds, we returned to the front desk and got a different agent this time. I asked if they had anything nicer with 2 beds and she said they had nicer rooms and suites, but the only ones currently available were all Kings. The only doubles currently available were the smaller rooms like we had just seen.

With a smile I inquired if they might be able to get "creative" for an appreciative Platinum and come up with some other option, and she got on the phone to her manager and he discussed things with her as she played around with the keyboard a lot.

And they did come up with something creative. They "built" us a Suite!

They gave us 2 deluxe adjoining Executive Kings which were extremely nice larger rooms, for our original one-room rate! We also each received a bottle of water and a fruit plate amenity (SEE PHOTO), a couple of coupons for complimentary cocktails at "Chocks" bar, and a coupon for free beer with any dinner orders, which we took advantage of and had a great meal there and were really impressed by the friendliness of the restaurant staff.

And later, Catman didn't have to endure my snoring!

So they seem to know how to treat a Platinum. You just might have to help remind them a bit at this one.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-09-2003).]
Old Mar 9, 2003, 4:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
So they seem to know how to treat a Platinum. You just might have to help remind them a bit at this one.</font>
I wouldn't bother to remind them once. It's strange if they have to be reminded always(?)/often(?): in such a case not the guest who is a loyal/regular guest gets the best treatment but the guest who shouts the loudest.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't shout. I think it had more to to with the individual agent rather than hotel policy. Our original agent just flew through check-in. With the second agent, it was a different story, and our status was given the attention it deserved without any fuss on our part.

As I pointed out, we only asked for a nicer room with 2 beds. She voluntarily offered even a Suite, but it was a King. Yes...I was the one to ask if they could get a bit creative, and they did. But even as a Platinum, I wouldn't have expected them to give us 2 rooms for the price of one as a Platinum perk! That was creative, above and beyond the call of duty, and they did good, IMHO.

It's been my experience with most Starwoods that if you just walk up and check in without pro-actively saying anything, you'll often only end up with what you are given.

But if you request something special or better after you see what they've given you, you'll find that might motivate them to do a little better. (I always wait to "push it a bit" until after I see what they automatically offer, as I like to test their auto treatment. I don't necessarily recommend this as a best strategy for an upgrade...it's just the way I prefer to judge a property)

Sometimes they genuinely don't have anything better to give you, but at least you should have gotten the in-room amenity and such, IMHO.

I wish every Starwood that I checked into hopped to attention at my presence, and immediately went to work finding me upgrades and amenities without me even asking. But in my experience, that is just not the case much of the time.

So I guess the friendly squeaky wheel does get a little extra grease sometimes.

Compared to some Starwood properties where I have to literally fight for the minimum benefits...this one was rather accommodating and helpful, after a short initial stall. IMHO.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-09-2003).]
Old Mar 9, 2003, 8:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
I didn't shout.</font>
PremEx, I didn't want to accuse you of shouting. Sorry, if you felt I referred directly to you. I really wanted to generally express my thoughts.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH738...thanks for the clarification.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has this hotel improved at all? Is there an executive lounge? or do Plats simply receive breakfast and evening snacks/drinks in the restaurant?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has this hotel improved at all? Is there an executive lounge? or do Plats simply receive breakfast and evening snacks/drinks in the restaurant?
I was last there in Feb 2005, but as a Platinum I received no upgrade and no evening snacks or drinks. The front desk manager said that they were very busy so they couldn't offer me any upgrade at all. I negotiated free breakfast in lieu of an upgrade, but it wasn't something that they offered until I requested it. My rate didn't include breakfast. There was no executive lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone else have experiences with Plat treatment or free Internet availability? Im trying to decide between this hotel and the 4 Points downtown? Got to take the train to Luxembourg and being near the airport station could help.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Need to be in Dusseldorf, in October 07.
Anything new or improvements in Platinum treatment at the Airport Sheraton.

Casey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.