Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Commander, Boston [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Commander, Boston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2002, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Commander, Boston [Master Thread]

My husband is attending a training at Harvard in July and the company has reserved rooms at the Boston Commander - on the web site it looks OLD and dreary - What info do you have? We booked a club floor room. thanks.
Old May 27, 2002, 9:53 pm

Just completed a stay about 30 days ago.

It is an Old Sheraton for sure. As a Plat SPG I got a 3 room suite and although old and dated it was fine. Only reason to stay there is if you have mtgs nearby.

A 3 star hotel at best, nice service and everything else was fine. Must pay for parking.
Old May 28, 2002, 4:49 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dgmom:
My husband is attending a training at Harvard in July and the company has reserved rooms at the Boston Commander - on the web site it looks OLD and dreary - </font>
Wait'll he sees Harvard...

It's sorta summed up in the old chestnut about the Beacon Hill lady and her hat. A newcomer to Boston, wishing to ingratiate herself with the grande dame, complimented her on her hat and asked her where she bought it. She was told, by way of a reply, that in Boston "we don't buy our hats, we simply have them."

For decades, judging by appearances. Nothing much changes quickly, at least on this side of the Charles River.

The Sheraton Commander, in Cambridge - not Boston - is convenient to the campus and while old is well-maintained and well-run. It doesn't have the blue ribbed wallpaper behind the sleigh bed flanked by the faux-mahogany nightstands but I expect he'll sleep quietly and comfortably. The staff is pleasant and the concierge is particularly helpful with tickets, tours, etc.

You could do far worse.

Old May 28, 2002, 10:48 am

The property has been renovaed and is in better shape now than it was 20 years ago. Stayed there last year and was very pleased -nice room, good service and friendly front desk. I also like the charm of older properties.

TF
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:04 pm

Thoughts on Sheraton Commander in Cambridge, MA?

I am planning a trip to Boston/Cambridge in mid-June and was thinking of staying at the Sheraton Commander hotel at Harvard Square, in part due to a low internet rate. Has anyone had any experience with this hotel or any suggestions for other hotels in the area?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:00 pm

Do a search here and in the archives, and you'll find extensive info on the plusses and minusses of the Commander. In short, it's a quaint and pleasant place and is a change-of-pace from the usual hotel. If you need to be somewhere other than the Harvard Sq/Cambridge area, though, it's not particularly convenient.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
I like the Commander and will go out of my way to stay there (it is often 50-75 cheaper than the mid-town Starwoods). It is a pre-war hotel kept in good condition, but with peculiarities. Like getting luggage into the elevators. But clean, well kept rooms with good space. Nice suites that I have gotten regularly as a Platinum. But, do the search. There are many others with somewhat different views of the hotel.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:26 pm

i am also planning a trip to harvard in about three weeks (hopefully) can anyone suggest a hotel. please keep in mind that i am a student so i cant throw money around. i have been looking at the four points at the airport, which is pretty close and the cheapest, but i would spend a little more if any of the hotels are must stays.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:09 am

Thanks for the info and the reminder about the archive. Forgot to search that. Looks like a quaint hotel. It might be nice for a change. Certainly, a big difference from the Westin Grand in DC, where I have spent a lot of time lately.

Old Jan 30, 2003, 1:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by moerajab:
i am also planning a trip to harvard in about three weeks (hopefully) can anyone suggest a hotel. please keep in mind that i am a student so i cant throw money around. i have been looking at the four points at the airport, which is pretty close and the cheapest, but i would spend a little more if any of the hotels are must stays.</font>
If you're planning on coming to Harvard every day, I would STRONGLY suggest against staying at the airport. You can get between the two on the subway (don't even think about trying it in a car) but it will take 45 min - 1 hour each way PLUS the time to go from your hotel to the airport then from the terminal to the subway station. Unfortunately, cheap hotels are not plentiful in Cambridge or Downtown Boston, the two areas with easiest access to Harvard. You might try this list or this one for ideas.

Good Luck,

Michael
Old Jan 30, 2003, 2:55 pm

Stayed at the Commander 2 weeks ago. Upgraded to a large junior suite with a very comfortable bed (real cotton sheets, etc), jacuzzi bath, robe. Complimentary breakfast coupons ($13.95 value) with HH Gold status. My travel partner had no HH status but also got a large room w/fax machine and her free bottled water was replaced as often as mine (I drank about $20 worth of Poland Springs in 4 days). Great service from the hotel staff. Convenient location for the neighborhood. Downside: no business center. A good value for me--$120/night.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by warmsnickers:
Stayed at the Commander 2 weeks ago. Upgraded to a large junior suite with a very comfortable bed (real cotton sheets, etc), jacuzzi bath, robe. Complimentary breakfast coupons ($13.95 value) with HH Gold status. My travel partner had no HH status but also got a large room w/fax machine and her free bottled water was replaced as often as mine (I drank about $20 worth of Poland Springs in 4 days). Great service from the hotel staff. Convenient location for the neighborhood. Downside: no business center. A good value for me--$120/night. </font>
Wow! Sheraton is now part of Hilton HHonors!! Must be another change that Starwood hasn't bothered to tell us about.

Seriously, though...I assume you meant SPG Gold? Or is the Commander wishing we would all stay at Hilton more often?

[This message has been edited by TravelScholar (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WhoME:
If you're planning on coming to Harvard every day, I would STRONGLY suggest against staying at the airport. You can get between the two on the subway (don't even think about trying it in a car) but it will take 45 min - 1 hour each way ....</font>
While I agree that it's a bad idea to stay at the airport if you're going back and forth to Harvard, the car trip from Logan to Harvard is a breeze now that the Mass Pike /Williams Tunnel connection is open. No more than a 15-minute drive -- 20 minutes tops at rush hour -- to get from one to the other.

Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:58 pm

Great location if you are visiting friends or kids at Harvard. Commander is an old classic property. As a Plat enjoyed a nice suite upgrade and breakfast coupons. Front desk staff was very helpful.
TF
Old Jan 31, 2003, 10:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
While I agree that it's a bad idea to stay at the airport if you're going back and forth to Harvard, the car trip from Logan to Harvard is a breeze now that the Mass Pike /Williams Tunnel connection is open. No more than a 15-minute drive -- 20 minutes tops at rush hour -- to get from one to the other.

</font>
But then you have to park in Harvard Square which can take easily take 40 minutes to find a 2 hour spot!

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.