Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2004, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, NWA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Arrow Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Have two nights stay at Sheraton Ottawa next week.
What's the parking fee charged by the hotel? Is there any better price around (walking distance from the hotel). Thanks a lot
Old May 9, 2004, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Parking is $18.00/day at the Sheraton, it is Valet Parking (under the hotel) but you have unlimited in-out privileges included at that rate.

It is cheaper during the weekend I think it is $14.00
You have a least one outside parking within a block, probably cheaper, but considering that you have in-out privileges and that your car is safely parked under the Hotel, the price is not so bad. They have a very good parking staff (The valet parking service is not operated by the hotel but is charged on your bill.)
Old May 10, 2004, 8:02 am

Programs: AC MM, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
If you are staying there on a weekend the underground parking lot across the street at the World Exchange Plaza is free.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:55 am
isi

Westin Ottawa -- quick report

SPG-G.

Just back from 4 nights at the Westin Ottawa. At check in we were put in a supposedly "deluxe" room -- up from the super-basic we booked. Room was nice, great view of Parliament (and the Fairmont).

The last night, they put a kids hockey team on our floor. And 'ring ring' went the Service Express line. Without much of a fuss, they moved us up to a "Starwood Preferred Guest" floor. Not only was the hallway less pleasant than the 'regular' floor we had been on (darker, dingier) but the room we were moved into was a good deal less nice than the one we had been in. I guess I'll have to ask if they are refurbishing the upstairs, but for now, don't stay on the 17th floor.

Generally, being attached to a mall is not something I put as a big plus--however, given that it was -27C outside in the middle of our stay, this turned out to be quite convenient.

However, as sleep and a flight out of Ottawa was all that mattered at that point we stayed put.

Otherwise, the staff was friendly and helpful. Very much enjoyed the gym. This is the first Westing I've stayed at, after 3 or so other properties in the last few months, where the conversion had been completed to a Reebok Workout center. Nice new machines, lots of space, clean(!!!), although it was a tad cold inside. Personal TVs on each machine was something I hadn't seen before. A huge plus.

OT: Best part of the trip was dinner at 'Le Bistro 1908' in Gatineu.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:09 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
I've stayed at the Westin a couple times but I actually prefer the Sheraton there in Ottawa - just a couple blocks away. In the winter, the Westin always seems in the middle of that WinterFest - you have to dodge the skates coming and going. Next time try the Sheraton - quieter and the staff is excellent.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:20 pm

I have been quite pleased with my sole stay at the Westin in Ottawa too. I was given some sort of an upgraded room (it was my first night as a PLT) with a great view and the staff seemed quite helpful and polite.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:20 pm

Programs: Black and Platinum all over....
I consistently have crappy stays at the Westin Ottawa. Upgrades are very rare. Service is crappy. Room service is incredibly inconsistent.
The Sheraton Ottawa is by far a completely more superior hotel, although the lack of suites and no opening windows are the big downsides, they more than make up for that with large rooms, amazing service and true recognition of your status without question.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'm of the opposite opinion.

The Sheraton Ottawa is a completely crappy hotel. Their level of crappiness is a little better now since all floors and rooms have been refurbished (kind of) and offer the Sweet Sleeper bed. However, the rooms are quite dark and the lighting isn't good if you want to do work. I've stayed on the "Business" floor and other floors. The air conditioning unit is a relic from the 60's and is very susceptible to outside noise. You want to set a temperature? Forget it. There's only 2, hot and cold. And.. you get neighbours on all sides of the hotel which can stare right into your room.

I feel the Westin is a far superior hotel. Much larger rooms or it feels that way since it's not as dark. Great a/c controls and the connection to the mall is great. Yes, not walking outside in sub-zero temperatures is a definite plus. Some people have reported service probs with the Westin but I've never had any problems myself.

I'd stay at the Westin a lot more but the Sheraton is much cheaper. Since I'm a Starpoints whore , I reluctantly stay at the Sheraton more often.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the Westin Ottawa have a club lounge?
Old May 30, 2006, 12:49 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
Do either of these properties offer free wifi in the lobby?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:02 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by doc
Having been to and enjoyed both, I pretty much agree with all that's been noted above. Yet I never knew one could utilizr the Rideau Center indoor parking with direct access to the Westin for only $10.00/day! Great tip! I know you can park for free on the weekends across the street from the Sheraton (near the liquor store toards the river). The Sheraton staff is really great, IMHO, and the views at the Westin are awesome too! Enjoy!

-Mark
Is it still possible to part at the shopping centre next to the Westin for $10/day? If so, is that a 24 hour rate or per calender day? Any other cheaper parking alternatives around the Westin for a Friday night stay?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, A-Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Sydfly
Is it still possible to part at the shopping centre next to the Westin for $10/day? If so, is that a 24 hour rate or per calender day? Any other cheaper parking alternatives around the Westin for a Friday night stay?
Yes you can park there for $14.00 per 24 hours period.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:56 am

Anyone stay at the any of the 3 SPG hotels in Ottawa in 2006?

I have to go there for 8 days....please advise where to stay....

1st 4 days are right near the Sheraton.

2nd 4 days are right near the 4points....

but I usually love westins, when the sheraton looks like it has had a overall?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:17 am

Programs: AC *E
I've stayed often at both the Westin and the Sheraton. Westin is a much nicer property, although the standard rooms at the Sheraton are larger. Bar and restaurants at the Westin are much nicer, and it is connected to a shopping mall (which makes picking up things you've forgotten convenient in the winter). I tend to stay more at the Sheraton since our office in Ottawa is across the street.

Haven't stayed at the 4 Pts since it is on the Quebec side of the river and I usually don't have business there so can't comment.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Westin has a better gym than the Sheraton.
Sheraton has a lounge (free breakfast for Platinums) but Westin doesn't.
Westin is more convenient than the Sheraton.
Sheraton has less family staying there (as it is really in the business district) than Westin.
Sheraton is usually cheaper than Westin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.