Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Houston: Westin Oaks or Galleria? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston: Westin Oaks or Galleria? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2001, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Location: Shorewood, WI, USA; AA plat, CO plat, Marriott plat, Starwood plat
Arrow Houston: Westin Oaks or Galleria? [Master Thread]

Which hotel is better? The Westin Oaks or the Westin Galleria. The hotels are right next to each other, so location isn't a factor.
Old May 1, 2001, 11:26 am
In memoriam

About the same. Both are in serious need up renovation.

My parents stayed at the Westin Oaks for 5 nights last month. They were on the Starwood floor. The upholstery on the desk chair was completely worn away in the middle. Tiles were missing in the bathroom. It took 4 calls over a two day period just to get a maintenance person to show up to fix the thermostat.

If you do a search on this Starwood category, you'll see a pretty lengthy discussion from earlier this year.

The hotels are at opposite ends of the mall. Personally, I think the Westin Oaks is a letter better located.

[This message has been edited by Sheryl (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old May 1, 2001, 11:29 am
In memoriam

If you want a newer Starwood property and you don't have to be at the Galleria itself, the Sheraton Suites, a half mile away, is only about a year old.
Old May 1, 2001, 1:16 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
I agree with Sheryl. Avoid the Westin twins. Go for the Sheraton Suites or better yet, the St. Regis.
Old May 1, 2001, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: Shorewood, WI, USA; AA plat, CO plat, Marriott plat, Starwood plat
I'd love to stay at the St. Regis. But no corporate rate there, I don't know if I can swing $300+. I just might have to give it a shot.

How do the beds at the Sheraton suites compare the heavenly beds at the Westin?
Old May 1, 2001, 4:50 pm

Location: San Jose, CA; AA Plat, CO Silver, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I was in Houston for 6 months and I have stayed at 4 Starwood properties there: Oaks, Galleria, Sheraton Suites and St. Regis.

By far, St. Regis was the nicest. They also are the priciest and they charge for parking (although I parked a couple of blocks away for free on the street.) They get an A+ for service as well as the room. The bed was just as comfortable as the Heavenly bed.

The Sheraton Suites were nice, but they had just opened when I went, so the newness factor comes into play. Nothing special, but they were nice rooms. The bed was not quite up to the standards of a heavenly bed, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

The Galleria and Oaks are both aging, but I did prefer the Oaks better. The room seemed a little brighter and the furniture (other than the Heavenly Bed which was the same in both locations) seemed a little newer. The Galleria is connected to the pool, so if that's important to you, you should stay there. Also (it's been over a year since I stayed there), the Oaks was $5/night more expensive than the Galleria for some odd reason.

My pick...if you can't stay at the St. Regis, stay at the Westin Oaks. The Heavenly Bed really does make a difference to me, and I'd choose that over the Sheraton Suites. However, the Suites did have more room (given it is a suite hotel). The self-parking was annoying as it is in back of the hotel. Plus, if you are planning to go shopping, the Oaks/Galleria is more convenient. One more thing, it has been over a year since I visited the Galleria, Oaks and St. Regis. I stayed at the Sheraton Suites less than a year ago.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ryan

[This message has been edited by SJSharky (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 8:32 am

Houston Westin Oaks or Galleria [Master Thread]

Does anyone have an opinon on whether the Westin Galleria or Westin Oaks is a better hotel?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:46 am

Better than what?

I wouldn't stay at either, particularly with the far superior St. Regis less than 1/2 mile away.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the rooms have undergone recent renovations at the Houston Westins.

But just a short stroll down the block, is the much newer and nicer Sheraton Suites. Not only do you get a nicer "Suite" type room, but they have hi-speed internet available, a nice restaurant and bar, and it's much easier to get into and out of.

And it's often cheaper than the Westins!

So if you can't afford the St. Regis...go Sheraton Suites, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:53 am

The Sheraton Suites is definately the way to go. Free wireless internet, clean. I stayed at the Westin Galeria in January...received nothing for Platinum status...they seemed uninterested. Will never go back.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:11 pm
ski

Westin Oaks is located facing Westheimer next to the Cheesecake Factory, near the ice rink, and near the Food Court. Westin Oaks area is busier. If you get a room facing Westheimer you may hear Westheimer traffic. The rooms have sliding glass doors that don't block out the traffic noise very well. If you face the inside part, you may hear the the freeway noise. None of this is that loud, but if you want a quiter room, choose the Westin Galleria, as it is in a quieter part of the Galleria. The section used to be somewhat deserted, but they recently opened a Nordstrom across the street and the walkway is next to Westin Galleria. They are not located far from each other and you can charge at both restaurants to your room. Suite at Westin Galleria was an adjoining guest room that had a couch where the bed would have been and a sitting area, otherwise it was exactly the same size as the other room. The rooms have been recently renovated and are furnished identical. They are spacious. If you choose Regis, make sure you don't get a room facing the train tracks.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:21 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Sheraton Suites is (was?) the hotel of choice in Houston...I thought the Westins were under going a full renovation last year? Shouldn't the reno be complete now? The Westins are in a little bit better location.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Man, I thought this was a thread on the NFL team and wondered what it had to do with Starwood - aren't they called the "Houston Westins?" or something like that?
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am still underwhelmed with the Westins in Houston even after the renovations. My SPG hotel of choice in Sheraton Suites. My company won't pay the prices at the St. Regis. The Westins to me seem to be convention hotels and the staff just doesn't seem to provide the high level of service that I expect at a Westin. The restaurant at the SS is an Omaha Steakhouse which actually knows how to cook a steak.

Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:05 am

Location: Chicago; SPG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, UA: Prem.Ex.; AA: Gold
My choice after several stays in Houston is the Sheraton Suites. Relatively new, Sheraton Sleeper beds (I think) and really good service. The only redeeming quality of the Westins is the gym is located within the University Athletic Club at the Galleria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.