Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Leaving Starwood on September 30, 2015

The Sheraton Annapolis Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on September 30, 2015. Reservations for dates on or after September 30, 2015, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Annapolis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:34 pm
cfigoni

Arrow Sheraton Annapolis [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton in Annapolis? We'll be there for some Naval Academy events and I was wondering about the size of the suite. Is it a true suite with a separate bedroom or just an overlarge room with a sofa at one end? We'd like to be able to have a place to gather with other family and still be comfortable.

Thanks

Old Oct 1, 2003, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I stayed there on a Friday evening in mid May and was provided with a suite, although not without asking for one. It was a indeed a "true" suite, with a separate living room and bedroom and was nicely decorated and in very good condition. I do not think that this hotel has very many suites so it might be somewhat difficult to snag one.

In any case, the staff in the hotel all seemed very friendly and happily proffered a continental breakfast coupons.

If you have never been there before, you might want to double check to determine whether the hotel's location is appropriate for your needs. Its really on the outskirts of Annapolis, situated in the middle of a shopping center.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 4:02 pm
cfigoni

Larry, thanks for the information - good to know. We'll be using our points so being a little removed from the Academy is a small price to pay. We'd planned to rent a car anyway so we can take our son around the area of he wants to get away from the Yard (the campus at the Naval Academy)

Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

How is this hotel? The last report is from 2003, 5 years ago, a lifetime in hotel years. It is $80 less than the Westin for the night I am considering.

Is parking free?

Is internet free?

Is there a lounge? If so, how are the offerings?

How is the location?

How are the rooms?

How well are platinums treated?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:35 am

We stayed there last May on cash and points. As gold, we were upgraded to a suite, without asking. The suite was large, with a separate living room area, a dining table and wet bar. The furnishings are a bit dated, but the room was comfortable.

As a previous poster said, the location is not in the center of things. It is on the outskirts, near the highway and next to a large shopping mall. I think our taxi ride back from downtown was about $12. Parking is free at the hotel.

I think the internet was free, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think there was a lounge.

There is a small gym and pool.

Staff were helpful and we had no difficulty getting late check-out.

We drove past the Westin, which is much closer to the center of town and looked brand-new. The price difference is probably due to the age of the Sheraton and its location.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I stayed at the Sheraton a few weeks ago.

The rooms are a TAD older, but by far not the worst I have been in. There IS a lounge, offerings were average. The problem was the lounge opened 30+ minutes LATE.

This paying gold did not get an upgrade.

Parking free, HSIA was free.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
We were supposed to stay at the Sheraton this past weekend. There was some boat show going on, which made the hotel very busy (full) and we were not able to be upgraded. The room they goave us had an odd smell and the sheets did not look to have been changed (they probably were, but they looked wrinkled). We were not happy and the PLT concierge managed to get us into the Westin, which was much better, even though they only had double beds and no upgrades available (also full due to boat show). They did offer to move us for our second night, but we were fine where we were.

I generally do not care for Sheratons, especially U.S. Sheratons. I'm an Asia-Pacific guy and hold hotels to very high standards.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:53 am

I came to this hotel after 3 stellar Hyatt stays, so it suffered by comparison. Still, once I adjusted my expectations, it was an acceptable 3 star hotel.

The hotel is switching over all the mattresses this week to the Sheraton mattress. It is also taking out all the CRT TVs and putting in large flat panel ones. The lounge is out of service during renovation, as were some suites. We got no upgrade.

We were originally given a room on the 6th floor, being inaccurately told it was a suite. There was a heavy chemical odor on the floor, I thought from painting or new carpet. I was immediately slammed with a headache. When we went back to ask for a different room, the front office manager came to speak to us. He was unaware of any odor, saying that no carpet or painting had been done.

We were then given a room on the 4th floor. We had chemical odor near the elevators, as well as some on entering our room, but not nearly as bad. As PresRDC said, I was struck re the wrinkled sheets and covers in both rooms. They must not put them thru a mangler.

The room was adequate, with bed, desk, dresser, and chair. The bathroom was small, but then it would be in any oldish hotel.

The hotel did do a number of things to make stays positive for guests.
  • internet is free for everyone. There is a business center off the lobby with 2 computers.
  • Evening appetizers (mediocre) and breakfast were served in the lobby, due to the lounge being closed this week.
  • Platinums are allowed 1 free movie, which would otherwise cost $16. You just have to tell them at the front desk when you check out so that they take it off the bill.

The hotel is right off the freeway, with easy access. It really is not for the person who wants to walk around the historic heart of Annapolis. We had a car, so it was fine for us. There is a large shopping center across the street with cinema.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I came to this hotel after 3 stellar Hyatt stays, so it suffered by comparison. Still, once I adjusted my expectations, it was an acceptable 3 star hotel.
Would this be the Cambridge Hyatt?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Would this be the Cambridge Hyatt?
It was one of the three Hyatts where I stayed. Check the Hyatt forum for my reports.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Any recent updates on stays?
Old May 15, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Plat colleague stayed last weekend, reported getting cocktails and free breakfast as a plat because lounge is closed on weekends. Didn't ask about the movie that SanDiego1K reports, I'll have to, I need a night up in Annapolis in a couple of weeks and the Westin appears to have a 2-night minimum stay requirement in place. But free parking and free internet'll work, and it's cheap enough....
Old May 31, 2009, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I forgot to ask about the movie!!

Checked in yesterday afternoon. I turned up at 2:40pm, was told they had me in a club room with two double beds. Umm, mrs. gleff and I are still only a few years into our marriage, could we have one bed?

This place was busy, busy, busy. They told me they had no king rooms available, sorry. Could you downgrade me off the club floor and give me a king? "Nothing's ready, you know it isn't even check-in time yet."

Ok, when could I have a king? "Check-in time is at 3pm sir, please come back in 20 minutes. I will block you into a king room on the 5th floor."

I return at 3:30pm. They had me in ... a club room with 2 double beds. I mentioned that I was told to come back at 3 and I could have a king bedded room. "Who told you that???" I described the woman working the front desk.

Woman approaches the more senior agent on duty, neither look at me, "Well we can do that but nothing's ready."

"Do you think you might be able to find out when such a room could be ready?" and I rather stare sternly at her. She picks up her walkie talkie and learns there are 2 king rooms on the 5th floor that are ready just not entered into the system year. I was given room 501 which had a plaque "Starwood Preferred Guest Room." I guess that means it had one complimentary bottle of water.

Without comment they gave me 2 keys in a platinum folder and two breakfast coupons. I mentioned the cocktails and appetizer coupons a colleage received a couple weekends back as a plat while the lounge is closed on the weekend, and the agent grabbed two more breakfast coupons and crossed out breakfast, writing in appetizer.

I asked when breakfast was, they said 7am - 1pm on Sundays. Funny, we went to breakfast at 11:30am and were told it was closing but they kept it open for us (never refreshed the completely empty french toast or bacon for us though). Buffet is rather sparse, but they do offer cooked to order eggs or omelettes.

We went up to the 5th floor. Elevator is VERY slow. Got out and noticed a musty, mildewy smell. It was all the way down the hall (carpet needs replacement in the hall, btw) and even stronger in the room. A/C helped get rid of it in the room. SPG room had microwave and refrigerator, I was told by the agent only club rooms had those.

Sweet sleeper bed, flat screen TV, desk, stained lounge chair, mildewy tub... free parking and free wireless internet.

I had told them I needed 2pm checkout, but my key expired at noon sharp. it didn't work at 12:10pm. Went down to the desk and they reprogrammed it, but it still didn't work so back (down the extremely slow elevator) to the desk. They gave me a new key and that worked fine.

Housekeeping wanted to clean the room at 8am, even though I was checking out "oh, sorry, we'll come back." They were back at 12:20pm even though we were supposed to have late checkout "oh, sorry." I should have put up the do not disturb.

The place is frequently cheap, it's a category 2, and I was here because I needed a night in Annapolis and the Westin had a 2-night minimum stay requirement in place. They do treat platinums consistently, but it is not a great property IMHO.
Old May 31, 2009, 3:23 pm

You are far more patient than I lol!

Cheers,
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Sheraton Annapolis 2 1/2 * property

Gleff - I was also at the Sheraton 5/30-5/31. I live in the Washington area. However, I had to be in downtown Annapolis Saturday night and Sunday afternoon and it made sense to stay overnight in area. Booked an award stay with an upgrade to the Club floor for a total of 4000 points.

I share your frustration with the front desk. We were checked in around 5:45 and given the requested king bed room on the 6th floor. I guess we were lucky the room wasn't available when you checked in. When we went to the room we saw it faced the highway and being concerned with noise while trying to sleep, I went back down to switch to another room. Of course there was only one room available on the quiet side of the hotel - a king bed room on the second floor which I refused since I felt it would be even noisier than the highway facing room on the sixth floor. Somehow there was no other king bed room on the club floor or another floor or even a two bed room on any floor. Seems like the hotel staff was trained by the Drug Enforcement Agency to just say no.

As it turned out we were not bothered by the road noise. However, the air conditioner unit was very noisy. Nevertheless, we slept well.

We were probably in the restaurant when you were there. We arrived around 11:00. All the containers looked like they were filled at 6:30 and then ignored. So, as you mentioned, pickings were limited. Fortunately, they did make omeletes to order in the kitchen.

My wife is affected by caffeine and only drinks herbal tea. Of course, they didn't have any. This didn't make sense since the room is equipped with a coffee maker, coffee and two herbal tea bags. I'm always amazed by the fact that supposedly decent hotels don't carry this item. We were in New York Memorial Day weekend and a modest coffee shop had a choice of six different kinds.

Overall, a good place to stay if you don't expect much. Worth the 4000 points (3000 + 1000 for the upgrade since I'm not a platinum) for a one night weekend stay. However, I wouldn't choose to stay there for more than a night or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.