Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel 2007 on [Master Thread]

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel 2007 on [Master Thread]

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:28 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Thumbs down Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel 2007 on [Master Thread]

New Review:

I've been staying at this property anually for 8-10 years...And despite the comments mentioned in this thread, I moderately enjoyed the place...It was very convenient to the Javits Center--where I do a 6-day tradeshow every year. The rate was much better than the Midtown hotels, the breakfast, while it was not the greatest, was acceptable, especially being included in the rate. The van to the ferry terminal on the weekends was generally speedy and during the week, it was great having it right at your door. The Spirito Grill was decent, and like someone else said above, fairly priced.

NO MORE on most of the above...I will NEVER stay at the place again (and I was an apologist for the property!)

Free breakfast--GONE. No warning, no advance notification.

Spirito Grill--GONE. Renovated area and now The Harbor Bar is there in its place...OVERPRICED, fair to below-average food with HORRIBLE service. We ate there the first morning for breakfast--prices WORSE than NYC. 2 eggs, bacon, juice and coffee...THIRTY DOLLARS PER PERSON with tip. And we weren't overtipping--it took us an hour and 10 minutes per person to eat, and they weren't that busy...It was a cheaper and better breakfast at the captive-market, high convention center rate Javits Center!

Van service to the dock (on the weekends)...Took the 6:30 ferry from NYC, arrived 6:35 or so. Called the hotel as we always do...After talking to THREE people, including a supervisor, they FINALLY sent a van at 7PM...Because now it's SCHEDULED service, every HOUR on the half hours...WITH NO REGARD TO THE TIME THAT THE BOATS DEPART/ARRIVE! Luckily, we were among the first to queue up in line and we got on the bus...There were 8 or so that didn't make it on the bus...And it's BITTER cold out there. Second day (Sunday) wasn't any better...We took a cab to the Chart House for dinner and walked the rest of the way.

They used to shuttle you into Hoboken to restaurants and whatnot for free...NOT ANY MORE!

GIFT SHOP IS CLOSED. Sure, it was overpriced, but when you need something--you have ZERO options now. The CVS in the UBS building next door has closed (another downside of the property, but admittingly no fault of the S.S.).

Entire staff was RUDE. Used to be pretty friendly...The whole staff stunk of attitude.

Rooms are starting to look tired, in particular the bathrooms...Our toilet seat had a horrible yellow hue to it. Cracked tiles and peeling wallpaper. Maid service wasn't that great...We had a lightbulb out in the 'living room'...Left it out on the table--it was ignored. Second day (it was a 7-night stay) we wrote a note, still ignored. Third day, I added in Spanish...Still ignored. Called the 5th day--didn't want them up in the room--was too tired, anyway, told them to take care of it the next morning when we were gone...It never was.

We only received new shampoo and soap when the amounts were really low, and I even ran out one day.

The rooms used to have 2 TVs...Not any more. There's one, relatively small (27"?) TV in the entire 'suite'.

It seems like were were nickel-and-dimed to death...A lot of 'budget cuts' as it seems--and they're being penny wise and pound foolish, me thinks.

Too bad there aren't more hotels located near the Javits Center...We're there for a big show, and the bus lines are an hour wait sometimes...Taxis are unheard of when the show gets out...The S.S. was SO convenient, I just won't tolerate it anymore.

FINAL STRAW...Checked my SPG account. I was credited for 200 points for the entire stay. Should have been 2400 points (folio was $1300, with taxes). Called SPG, they said the hotel submitted it that way, and showed the room charges were not incurred...My hotel receipt says otherwise. (Wonder if they'll say the same thing to AMEX if I protest the charges--not going to do that, just hypothetically speaking). I can't help but think that it was intentional to get out of paying Starwood for the points, just hoping people don't catch it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:18 pm Reason: Pre 2007 thread can be found http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/975428-sherato-lincoln-harbor-hotel-pre-
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:11 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
O U C H !!

Sounds like the Sheraton 4Points Hyannis revisited ?

Thanks for the heads-up - another NYC property to cross off the list.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
I have spent about 40 days there. The ferry runs every 15 min, on the quarter hour, one way, and on the 7 1/2 min on return. The ferry busses are one of the best parts of the deal. They are free, and frequent, and go most places one would want to go. They are available at all running times, and in all weather. Ever try to get a cab at 8:30am?
Anyone know if the hotel near the Lincoln Harbor / Weehawken ferry terminal or the Port Imperial / Weehawken ferry terminal? I'm looking around their website, and it doesn't seem to mention which weehawken ferry terminal they're near.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
The Sheraton Suites is near the Weehawken ferry...the main ferry is Port Imperial. http://nywaterway.com/ is the website...the hotel will come and get you at the terminal on the weekends as no ferry service by the hotel on Saturday and Sunday. If they aren't busy the bellhops will run you into Hoboken as well.

The hotel has been a Sheraton since around 2000 and has made many improvements since that time. I used to book 50 rooms a week for six to eight weeks in the spring and fall there and felt that they truly were about customer service.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: PC Plat Amb, Miles&More Sen, AF/KLM Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wck4
Anyone know if the hotel near the Lincoln Harbor / Weehawken ferry terminal or the Port Imperial / Weehawken ferry terminal? I'm looking around their website, and it doesn't seem to mention which weehawken ferry terminal they're near.
This hotel is near Lincoln Harbor.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ddoliwa
This hotel is near Lincoln Harbor.
Excellent, thank you. I'm heading over there on Thursday, so I'll grab the NY Waterway ferry after work. Seems like it should be an easy trip- I take the Hoboken/WFC ferry all the time & it's a nice short ride. So much nicer than taking a tunnel by car. ^
Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Anyone know if the hotel near the Lincoln Harbor / Weehawken ferry terminal .
YES.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Lincoln Harbor - hotel is adjacent to the ferry
I also was able to be picked up from the Port Imperial terminal...but can't remember the details (it was after Lincoln Harbor was closed but I believe I had to call the hotel). Hope this helps.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Nobody's mentioned that aside from easy ferry service into Manhattan, this hotel is a breeze by light rail (or even a 15 - 20 min walk) to Hoboken - which is a fantastic town with great nightlife and amazing restaurants. The light rail also runs all the way down to the Hoboken PATH station for pretty simple connections to downtown, midtown, Jersey City, and Newark.

It's a very good location. Also immediately next to the hotel is a Chart House, a Ruth's Chris, and a small mall.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Weird. This is a decent hotel though - I've used it before when Manhat ones are too pricey and the ferry ride is really nice!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I agree it's a decent hotel and the ferry ride to Manhattan is pretty cool. Just never use the airport car service the hotel recommends -- you're quoted one price before you leave by the hotel when they arrange it, and a higher price is due when you get to EWR. At least, that was my experience. But it was a couple of years ago and perhaps they've changed vendors.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
I stayed here for months (made Platinum here!) in late 2005 and was not impressed. Bad enough for me to search for this thread and put in another trip report!

I believe some things may have changed, but one thing they can't fix is the location. The ferry is nice (and free for UBS people!) but it's just such a tease to be right across the river from everything with no way to travel quickly. Seriously, this hotel is basically an hour from Manhattan, when you consider scheduled service for ferrys and trains. And when the boat stops running, you're looking at an adventure trying to get back.

Stay on the PATH or NJ TRANS lines in Jersey City or even Newark instead...
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Like others, I stayed here for a Javits trade show a couple of years back. It was moderately acceptable.

Until I took their recommendation of a car service for the return trip to the airport (over the car service I usually use), whose driver tried to double-charge me when I got to EWR. And he was very snotty about it. I had almost no satisfaction from the hotel when I contacted them upon my return; I had to escalate to SPG customer service to even get a response.

Sounds like it's gone downhill from there. Unfortunately, since it was convenient to Javits, even with the ferry.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Hm. I'm going to NY for a concert in July, so I reserved a couple of places:
Sheraton Newark Airport Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport
Sheraton Suites on the Hudson

All of the prices are about the same (and I'll be spending no time in the hotel); what hotel should I choose if the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson isn't that good...?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by dollaroff
Hm. I'm going to NY for a concert in July, so I reserved a couple of places:
Sheraton Newark Airport Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport
Sheraton Suites on the Hudson

All of the prices are about the same (and I'll be spending no time in the hotel); what hotel should I choose if the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson isn't that good...?

Thanks!
The airport hotels are kind of far, and the Suites is kind of crummy and hard to get to late at night. I guess you have to balance these! :-) Personally, I'd stay at the Sheraton Newark Airport, but the Suites is certainly an alternative that could work. But if your concert is late at night, check the ferry and train schedules and make sure you can get back and forth. If you're driving, then the Suites would work fine since the tunnel is RIGHT behind it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.