Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Spitzinsee, Germany: Arabella Sheraton Alpenhotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spitzinsee, Germany: Arabella Sheraton Alpenhotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 8:25 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Arrow Spitzinsee, Germany: Arabella Sheraton Alpenhotel [Master Thread]

Anybody stayed here before? What is nearby? It comes up in a hotel search for Munich but it doesn't sound anywhere close.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:30 pm

Location: Europe - LH Sen; BA Silver; US SPref; *wd Plat, Hilton Gld
It´s a 60-90 minute drive. Very nice location, at a lake in the Alps, very nice hotel and friendly staff, but if you look for Munich, too far.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 8:17 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Stayed there last August for a conference. Excellent staff, and a very nice location to explore the Bavarian Alps.
However, as the previous post has correctly stated, not convenient if your main purpose is to hang out in Munich
Old Jun 22, 2003, 6:40 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Great topic. I was just about to ask that question myself. We're planning to stay there in December and hope to get some snow up in the mountains. Has anyone stayed there as a humble Gold? Any upgrades during your stay to the next category or just a better view? I had a look at their website and came across a room picture that looks pretty ugly. Does anyone know if they renovated the place recently? All the other pictures looked nice with lots of wood and warm tones. Any comments on the spa area and the "Sole Bad"?

Edited link

[This message has been edited by Sydfly (edited 09-01-2003).]
Old Jun 23, 2003, 6:37 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
They've renovated the place last year. If you go there in winter, you walk less than 5 minutes to the ski lift...
Old Aug 31, 2003, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any info on this nearby ski area? I couldn't figure out which one it is.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 3:19 am

http://www.skiresort.de/germany/spitzing.htm

It's just a short walk from the hotel. Usually, here are more snowboarders that skiers there though.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 7:52 am

Programs: UA *G
Is that the really tiny one mentioned in the SPG Gold book, and is Arabella like a corp. that owns tons of Sheraton's.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 9:13 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JBLUA320:
Is that the really tiny one mentioned in the SPG Gold book, and is Arabella like a corp. that owns tons of Sheraton's.</font>
I don't know if you refer with "SPG Gold book" to the book "The best of Starwood" that is mentioned here. The hotel is described on page 38.

ArabellaSheraton Holding is a joint venture between Schörghuber corporation (51%) and Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc (49%). The joint venture manages 32 hotels in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, and South Africa (latest hotel in development: Hotel Gut Kaltenbrunn, Tegernsee/Oberbayern; opening 2005/2006). Mr. Schörghuber is CEO/main owner of Schörghuber corporation (other business e.g. Bayerische BrauHolding AG with Paulaner and other beverages; Bavaria aircraft leasing; ...) and started with an independant hotel chain ("Arabella") before the joint venture. Unfortunately, many hotels in the ArabellaSheraton are also notorious for having a bad attitude in SPG status recognition).

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

[This message has been edited by LH738 (edited 08-31-2003).]
Old Aug 31, 2003, 10:00 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sydfly:
Any upgrades during your stay to the next category or just a better view? I had a look at their website and came across a room picture that looks pretty ugly. Does anyone know if they renovated the place recently? All the other pictures looked nice with lots of wood and warm tones. Any comments on the spa area and the "Sole Bad"?
</font>
There's another website for the hotel in German (I didn't find a switch for English). There are six room categories:
- room mountain view
- room south side
- room lake view
- studio
- appartments
- suite (suitable for allergic persons)
Some of the pictures are also in the above mentioned book including the ugly rooms. This book mentions a complete renovation in 2002 and early 2003. I do think that the pictures are after the renovation because the description contains phrases like "guests retire to first class rooms, decorated with light pine in the Bavarian style ...". That fits to the picture - marketing-wise. The landscape looks terrific.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:23 am

Location: Europe - LH Sen; BA Silver; US SPref; *wd Plat, Hilton Gld
The place is about an hours drive from Munich, longer during rush-hour.

Setting is beuatiful, directly at a small lake, not too many hotels etc. around.

They have 5 suites and are rather reluctant to offer these - the regular rooms are ok, but not huge.

Try to get at least lake front.

They have finished major construction, with new pool area etc, which is nice.

The next village, Schliersee, has a lot of restaurants, about a 10 min drive.

As an alternative: Hotel Jagdhof in Salzburg also is nice, or Schloss Fuschl, which is only worth the extra money if you have a room in the main building, as opposed to the baracks.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:28 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I was upgraded to a lakefront studio this weekend (as the hotel was quite full I guess the appartments and suites were occupied already).

The studio rooms are a 1/3 larger than the regular rooms and have a fake 'Kachelofen' with a bench around and a large table. also they have a large dressing room instead of a mere wardrobe.

Try to avoid the rooms 109-114 (we had 114) as they are on the corridor with high traffic to the beauty farm and you hear some kind of 'gargling' noice from the spa below (also in the night...).

Breakfast is included in ALL (!) rates, also on award bookings.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Prem Ex, NW Gold
I'm interested in staying at this property for a few days (to explore the Alps, Lake Lucerne...). If anyone has stayed there before, I am wondering if you can answer a few questions. I'd like to start here before proceeding on to Zurich. The website does not say where the closest airport is, so I'm not sure where best to fly into. Also, are there restaurants and cafes nearby? It seems rather isolated. Is a car necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ralphshenkis
I'm interested in staying at this property for a few days (to explore the Alps, Lake Lucerne...). If anyone has stayed there before, I am wondering if you can answer a few questions. I'd like to start here before proceeding on to Zurich. The website does not say where the closest airport is, so I'm not sure where best to fly into. Also, are there restaurants and cafes nearby? It seems rather isolated. Is a car necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Next Airport is MUC. If you are using a programm like Microsoft AutoRoute you can simply type in "MUC" to "Spitzingsee" to calculate the distance. Is is 105 km.

I would highly recommend to rent a car as this is a very nice but quite remote location.

Restaurants are available, for example the "Wurzhütte" is genuine bavarian.

To explore the lake lucerne, I would recommend another *wood, the Arabella Vitznauerhof. Excellent lakefront location, modern rooms, good and friendly service.

Last edited by Olip; Aug 29, 2004 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:29 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
AlpenHotel Germany

I'm going to take an holiday here in Feb/2005.

Some impressions about AlpenHotel, Germany ?

I see there is a good SPA and a nice location.
Hope it's a good hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.