Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Sheraton Ann Arbor (was Sheraton) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Sheraton Ann Arbor (was Sheraton) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2003, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Arrow Four Points Sheraton Ann Arbor (was Sheraton) [Master Thread]

I've searched for Ann Arbor but have come up with nothing. Anyone stayed at the Sheraton Inn on Boardwalk?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:42 am

I have stayed there a few times. You will not have a good stay and will be disappointed. I'm suprised it keeps the Starwood franchise.

The Positives

It is a SPG hotel so if you want points/stay credits etc it is the only choice.

It is located near the shopping Mall (you can walk) so there is something to do at night.

They have a club. The worse one I've been to, but its there. Typically there are just 10-12 cans of warm drink and a few snack bars in the empty club room. Most nights no diet coke or any diet soda.

BA crew stay there and the bar is always full of them...so it can be a fun happening bar.

Upgrades to club floor are consistant (but no value)if you ask.

The Negatives

Very run down hotel. Rooms are dingy and poorly maintained. Noisy heaters and slow elevators.

The opening hours of the club are limited, so you have to have breakfast in the resturant. Service here is awful. The buffet looks older than a Holiday Inn's but ordering off the menu means a long wait.

The parking and shape of hotel makes for a long walk to the checkin and room

You only get a platinum 250 point award not 500 like a sheraton. Also they have NEVER posted these points. I always had to call to get the credits posted. (being 250 rather than 500 points it was easy to see they did not post)

The workout room is C.1950 Holiday Inn

Overall this hotel is like a bad four points, clearly not a Sheraton.

THe rates are crazy too. Often $150+ compared to $99 for the courtyard.

Ann Arbor struggles with few good hotels. The best I know of is the Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott. The Marriott Residence inn has a nice new block with fireplaces in the rooms. The Ypsilanti Marriott is not good.

Trust me I've tried 10 hoyels in A2 and i hate to say it but I'd go with the Courtyard.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Last time at the Sheraton I was upgraded to an "executive room". It was surprisingly nice. Spacious and nicely furnished. Sort of a junior suite. I found the bar too smokey to enjoy. I disagree with Steve somewhat on the Marriott in Ypsilanti (about 10 minutes from Ann Arbor). The Marriott's public areas, including the lobby, are quite nice. The rooms are ok and have upgraded Marriott beds; certainly far nicer than Courtyard, in my opinion. It's on a golf course but, of course, it doesn't matter this time of the year. However, there is a lake view out of the rooms on the east side of the building (Ford Lake). It think it's called Marriott at Eagle Crest. However, if the SPG points matter to you, I thought the Sheraton was perfectly fine.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I've stayed at the:
Bell Tower Hotel
Campus Inn
Candlewood Suites
Sheraton Inn

This list is in the order of "niceness". OTOH, I happen to like the Candlewood Suites. They spend all their money on furnishings for the room rather than amenities like location or a nice lobby.

Anyone stay at the Weber's Inn?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Wow - so glad I asked!! I think I'll call and cancel. It was for a January stay, so no big rush on the SPG stays....there's lots of year left for that. Maybe I'll try the Hampton Inn. They seem reliable, though not fancy. Appreciate the help. Thanks again.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kathnunley:
Wow - so glad I asked!! I think I'll call and cancel. It was for a January stay, so no big rush on the SPG stays....there's lots of year left for that. Maybe I'll try the Hampton Inn. They seem reliable, though not fancy. Appreciate the help. Thanks again. </font>
The Hampton Inn, at least the south one by Briarwood Mall, is your run-of-the-mill Hampton, so it isn't that bad.

Besides, they gave me an entire roll of Oreos as my elite perk.

Mike

Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:03 am

Novi, a suburb of Detroit which is 20 minutes from Ann Arbor, has a Sheraton that is pretty nice. It used to be a Hilton but they renovated it and changed ownership.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:34 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I stayed at the Sheraton Inn a couple years ago. I believe I was upgraded to the executive floor. It wasn't anything special, but I had no complaints, either. Now, however, if I have to go to Ann Arbor, I'll probably stay at the Westin DTW and drive to Ann Arbor--unless the rate is too good to pass up.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 1:24 pm

Sheraton Ann Arbor a Four Points Eff 4/1/04

Seems Starwood figured out what we've known for a while. Signage this week was added to the exterior and front desk manager confirmed that it was effective April 1. They claimed there would be no changes made to the property itself as a result. Will miss this hotel as an option for "full fledged" Sheraton promotions though.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 1:03 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Former Sheraton Property in Ann Arbor, Michigan Reflags as Four Points by Sheraton

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040401/15246_1.html

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Former Sheraton Property in Ann Arbor, Michigan Reflags as Four Points by Sheraton Hotel
Thursday April 1, 9:30 am ET
New Property Strengthens Starwood's Moderately Priced Brand's Presence in the Suburban Detroit Market

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 1, 2004-- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) announced today the reflagging of the former Sheraton Inn in Ann Arbor, Michigan to the Four Points by Sheraton Ann Arbor. The hotel was originally built in 1981 as a Sheraton Inn and recently underwent a major renovation in 2002. The 197-room Four Points by Sheraton Ann Arbor is the latest addition to Starwood's award-winning moderately priced brand.

"Ann Arbor is an ideal location for a new Four Points by Sheraton property," said Hoyt Harper, the brand's senior vice president. "Leisure travelers, particularly sports fanatics, can revel in the fact that Ann Arbor is in close proximity to the country's largest college football stadium. Most importantly, the property has a dedicated management team that has been in-place for 10-plus years, offering the best in service and accommodations and will continue to do as a Four Points by Sheraton."

The Four Points by Sheraton Ann Arbor is situated in a convenient location directly across from the Briarwood Mall and only 30 minutes from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The hotel is less than two miles from Michigan Stadium and the University of Michigan's main campus. Other features and guest amenities include a newly remodeled indoor/outdoor pool, whirlpool, sauna and fitness center. The hotel offers two dining options: the 125-seat Michael Chophouse featuring daily breakfast, buffet luncheon and Sunday brunch, and, the 85-seat State Street Bar & Grill.

The hotel offers 15 meeting rooms with 13,500 square feet of meeting space featuring a 6,300 square foot ballroom, the largest in Ann Arbor. The Four Points by Sheraton Ann Arbor features complimentary wireless high-speed Internet access in the restaurant, bar, lobby and business center. Guests staying on the keyed-access Executive Level are provided a full continental breakfast and evening snacks and beverages. In addition to the space and comfort of the Executive Lounge, the guestrooms feature upgraded bedding, marble surround bathrooms, additional bathroom amenities and turn-down service on request.

Starwood has five other properties located in the metropolitan Detroit area, including the Sheraton Novi Hotel, Four Points by Sheraton Hotel & Suites Detroit North, Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel, The Westin Metropolitan Detroit Airport Hotel, and The Westin Southfield.

Four Points by Sheraton hotels are located at airports, in mid-sized cities, leisure destinations, and business and commercial centers. Our hotels cater to business and leisure travelers as well as meeting planners seeking a quality, moderately priced and value-oriented product. In addition to the high-speed Internet access services, key features include an on-premise restaurant serving cooked-to-order breakfast, complimentary bottled water, room service with a 30-minute delivery guarantee, swimming pools, fitness facilities, business services and meeting space with catering facilities.

Four Points by Sheraton, has more than 135 properties in 16 countries and is owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) and was voted the number one mid-priced hotel brand in 2002 and 2003 by Business Travel News' "Annual U.S. Hotel Chain Survey." Starwood Hotels & Resorts is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with more than 740 properties in more than 80 countries and 110,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. With internationally renowned brands, Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts including: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Sheraton, Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, W brands, as well as Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwood.com

* Please contact Starwood's new, toll-free media hotline at (866) 4-STAR-PR (866-478-2777) for photography or additional information.**
* * JOURNALISTS - PLEASE NOTE: JOIN STARWOOD'S PRESS RELEASE ALERT SERVICE TO RECEIVE STARWOOD COMPANY NEWS AND INFORMATION * *

To become a member, simply access the Starwood website, at: www.starwood.com/press

Once you reach the home page, enter your e-mail address, and click "Subscribe".

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Mark Ricci, 914-640-8496
[email protected]

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:20 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
None of the hotels in Ann Arbor are great. I usually stay at the Sheraton in Novi and drive to Ann Arbor every morning.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:41 pm

I know it's late to respond to this, but I'm gonna anyway. I stay at the Starwood Ann Arbor. It is a little dingy and rundown and still has the same slow elevators from 2003.

What I like:

-It's two miles from my client

-There is a restaurant so that I never have to go looking for food when I'm beat up from a day with the client. Room service is way cheap compared to other cities too. Restaurant staff is super friendly and nice.

-They have a decent fitness center: 3 new Lifefitness treadmills, an elliptical, a bench and series of handweights. They also have a full service agreement with the local gym 2 blocks away so you can get free day passes. The gym is pretty ghetto, but again, it's got decent cardio equip, large weight room and several classes including spin if you need to get your bike on.

Digital thermostat with a fan option for those of us who need white noise in hotels.

The other reason I stay there: The Hampton is *totally* ghetto and the only Hyatt property in town is a Hawthorn Suites on the other side of town. Otherwise I love Hampton Beds and Hyatt beds the best. The four points beds are too firm for me. I have heard the new Marriott in Ypsi is a great place to stay if the 10 mile commute down 94 doesn't drive you crazy.

It sucks less than a lot of places.

Things I like less:
I've stayed on the "key access" floor and non-keyaccess. You can get up there via the stairs btw. I know this because I actually enjoy running up 6 flights of stairs after my evening run.

I have pretty much decided I dislike the key access floor. Why? I am not joking. Internet access is usually choked. It is usually slower and the water pressure is noticeably softer. Also strangely, the hot/cold adjustment for the shower is micro sensitive in a way the executive type rooms on lower levels is not.

My bath last week resulted in a 30 minute visit from a repairman after it leaked water all over the room below me.

On the good side, the key access floor is usually quieter as it's usually one per room, unlike the family that stayed next door to me last week.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:21 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Weird - I had a post in this thread and for some reason it was removed. (Dated October 2007)

Basically what it said was avoid the hotels in Ann Arbor. Stay in Ypsi or elsewhere. Just about every hotel in AA is run down and dingy including this hotel, however this is one of the better hotels in AA.

On another note I think it's ridiculous that someone deleted posts from threads without informing anyone.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Stayed here last weekend. The hotel had shown as sold out last Thursday, but Friday I was able to book two rooms on points. Very lucky considering there was a home football game and it was also parent's weekend. I tried to add another room on Saturday but no luck.

Since I lucked out with the rooms, I was stuck with double beds. Asked at check-in but no luck. Was identified as platinum and asked about amenity, but no mention was made of the lounge on the executive floor. I found that by being curious and swiping my card to see if it let me up, and then wandering the floor to see if there was a lounge. The person checking me in had an id identifying her as the "reservations manager" or something to that effect, so I'm surprised there was no mention of lounge access.

The lounge has soft drinks, water, coffee, cereals, english muffins, bagels, donuts (although I got the last one at 8:30am and they didn't refill the plate, just took it away), yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and fruit. We didn't find the lounge until late at night, so am unsure what they offer in the evenings. There aren't a lot of tables, and many were occupied by individuals working on their laptops.

The room itself was ok. Flat screen tv, no hdtv channels. The bed/pillow combination wasn't comfortable to me. Elevators are still slow.

On Saturday night there was an event in the ballroom that filled up the parking lot. Fortunately we were just dropping some stuff at the room after dinner and before the hockey game, so just parked in the check-in area for a few minutes. When we returned around 10:30pm, there was plenty of parking.

Overall, 3000 pts was more than a fair price for the stay. Good location, ok rooms.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
as an fyi, this hotel has an executive floor and a lounge and they do both morning and evening service. i plan to check it out tomorrow and will report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.