Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
Arrow Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Stayed there 12/27 thru 12/29. I don't want to be unfair so I must mention that the front desk agent checking me in was fabulous - fast, friendly and efficient.

But:

They either have too few elevators (four) or the elevators are operating way too slowly. That is especially annyoing when you just want to get some ice and the ice machine on your floor is broken. I repeatedly had to wait minutes for an elevator to arrive. Took me quite some research to finally find the staircase. There are two doors next to the vending machines, one is marked "private" and the other has no sign at all. That is the emergeny exit door leading to the stairs! If I am to ever experience a hotel fire I surely don't want to experience it at this property!

Room was not really clean. I could see that it had been cleaned in a rush, but there was still hair on the bathroom floor and some parts of the carpet had not been vacuum cleaned for ages. Also, the bed was very uncomfortable. Soft at the edges, when lying close to the edge it felt like one could easily fall out of it while asleep.

The issue of the train line running next to the building has been discussed on FlyerTalk before. I would like to throw in another annoyance: there is a giant fan on the back side of the building, larger than an airplane engine and about as loud. It runs for about a minute or so, stops for a couple of minutes and then starts again. First I thought it was the air condition and it somehow is - front desk said it's needed to vent the a/c system. I wonder how the central air conditions in all other hotels of the world work... Even with the windows closed this thing was so loud that it completely ruined my sleep.

The evening before check-out I checked my balance on the TV and found a restaurant charge that was not from me. Called Service Promise and asked what it was. They said two cocktails from the bar. Told them that this must be a mistake and asked them to take the charge off. They said I would have to call the restaurant as they are run independantly. Called the restaurant and they suggested that I just forgot that I had had two drinks! I insisted that they search for the signed charge form. When they called back they admitted that it contained my room number but no name and an unreadable signature not at all similar to mine (they were checking it against my signature from breakfast). "Problem solved", I said, "just take it off". I was told I would have to come down the next morning to discuss the issue with the restaurant manager as charges could not be taken off so easily. Obviously, I was not getting anywhere this evening with the restaurant people so I dressed again and went down to the front desk to see the manager on duty. She was very friendly and helpful but confirmed that only the restaurant manager could cancel the fraudulent charge. But she promised to make sure that he would do it first thing the next morning. When I talked to him the other day he reluctantly agreed to cancel the charge. No excuse for all the hassle I had been through discussing the issue with various employees. I was about to have breakfast at his place but as he obviously believed that I had found a way to cheat him for two drinks I decided to have breakfast at a nearby restaurant.

After breakfast, I wanted to use video check-out. Upon check-in, I had received a flyer advertising 100 bonus points for using the sytem and completing an online guest satisfaction survey. I certainly had some comments to give, but unfortunately the system was down. Told the front desk that I would have liked to share my comments with them and that I certainly would like to have at least the 100 survey points, but she had never even heard of it. She took my email address and promised to get back to me. As of today, I have neither received the points nor an email.

What do you think? Should I complain directly to the hotel or write a letter to my local Starwood service center? After all, this hotel is touting "We are not satisfied until you are satisfied". Can't really see that they are living up to this promise.

[This message has been edited by jreichel (edited Jan 09, 2004).]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:41 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I can't believe you put all that effort into reversing a bogus bar charge.

There's something fundamentally wrong here: They can't accept room charges from the restaurant, and then run away from the responsibility by making you chase after the restaurant manager. That's very bad. The onus is on the hotel to prove you charged something, not on you to prove you didn't. Starwood Corporate should take a look at this arrangement. The hotel is having it both ways.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I would contact Hotel Customer Service either by phone at 1-800-328-6242 or by email at [email protected].

I apologize for the guest experience you had at the Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
I agree with you that they need new elevators and that the fron office staff is very friendly. I enjoyed my stay there two weeks ago. My only other complaint was that teh television sets in teh bedrooms were smaller that 19 inches. On your next visit to FLL, I suggest the Westin down the road. I am a platnium and they always upgrade me, in fact, this past Fall teh Buffalo Bills were staying there and I was given teh Presidential suite
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Yea I know ALL to well about the train and those fast els. However I still have stayed there.Last time a few weeks ago. all in all a nice place liked it better that the Sher at FLL airport. Although the Westin would be nicer when back down there in a couple of weeks will probably check back in at the Suites.
also as a Sheraton property why didn´t you invoke the Sheraton Promise or has it been cancelled with the beginning of the new year? but then again your stay was back in 03.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:00 pm

I stay regularly at the FLL Starwood properties and this one is the worst and the one to avoid. Instead, stay at the Westin FLL. To add to your complaints, the front desk shift supervisor from Germany is the rudest I have ever encountered in a Starwood property.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:37 pm
Pam

Is that the one that was originally built as an Embassy Suites, then became Doubletree?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:37 am

Thought I'd add my 0.02...

I've stayed at both fairly recently (the Sheraton Suites and the Westin) and while I didn't have any unauthorized bar charges, I was similarly underwhelmed with the Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek.

As the original post mentioned, our room could have used a thorough cleaning and a decent mattress (and an interior decorator, but that is another story). Their gym was equally in need of a good cleaning.

As a point of comparison, we stayed at the Westin FLL several weeks later (literally just down the street) and the experience could not have been more different. Our room was clean, the bed was great and the gym was clean and modern.

There was simply no comparison.

- RightD

[This message has been edited by RightD (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
As a hotel I'm usually at twice a month, I have to say that the Westin FLL is the place to stay. I've had to stay at the Sheraton Suites a couple of times now when the Westin has been full, and between the moldy smell in the lobby and the sound of the trains that seem to roar right through your room, the premium for the Westin is more than worth it.

But if you're a Platinum DON'T COME! The front desk tells me they get 25-35 Platinums a night during the week, and suites upgrades are getting harder to come by, even with my shameless sucking up and petty bribery of the desk clerks.

[This message has been edited by Rolling Stone (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rolling Stone:
But if you're a Platinum DON'T COME! The front desk tells me they get 25-35 Platinums a night during the week</font>
The hotels is near Citrix headquarters (along with IBM and other regional offices - probably explains some of the Plat. traffic.

Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pam:
Is that the one that was originally built as an Embassy Suites, then became Doubletree? </font>

Yes, as well as being a Guest Quarters

TW

[This message has been edited by Tolarian Wind (edited Jan 11, 2004).]
Old Jan 14, 2004, 4:11 am

Any views on the Plantation?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:12 am
Pam

We have stayed at the one in Plantation several times, and really enjoyed it every time. In fact, that is where I acquired my Starwood membership (I didn't even know it existed, and they did it for me). It's handy to Sawgrass Mills Mall, a convenient location overall.

I obviously missed the Guest Quarters incarnation of the Cypress Creek one, but the few times we stayed there, the whole hotel just seemed to be going downhill. As Doubletree, it was simply dirty, so we stopped after that stay.

We were in the area during a NW strike, and needed a room for me while Hubs went to a meeting. I refused his offer of that hotel, and we went to Westin down the street. Had a nice suite overnight for a reasonable amount (didn't have a clue to use a Starwood card at that time). That was about three or so years ago, I think.

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited Jan 14, 2004).]
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:54 am
In Memoriam

Another vote for Plantation. I've stayed there a half dozen times in the past year. Clean, well run, good PLT upgrades, located attached to a major shopping center, lots going on in the immediate area.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Sheraton Cyprus Creek

Went from a 2 to a 3 for SPG redemption... And is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at.... Was there this past weekend - they are working on the glass roof and have black tarp over the railings on the 8th floor. Room was awful... linens were NOT Sweet Sleeper....

Yuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.