GONE: W New York Tuscany [Master Thread]

Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Arrow GONE: W New York Tuscany [Master Thread]

Questions for all you that are much more knowledgeable.

How does the Tuscany treat SPG Gold?

Do they give any upgrades?

How do you ask for an upgrade as a Gold?
Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:16 am

I never received an uprade to anything but a corner room in the Tuscany, and I pretty much lived there as a platinum for three months. Very few suites (if any at all) as it is a very small hotel, but i never pushed on the issue since the normal rooms are huge. I don't know the upgrade situation for a Gold, but I would not expect a suite but the rooms are plenty big enough whether you get upgraded to a corner room or not.

The service is generally good. Recognition of SPG was generally good. The location is quite central. It is my W of choice in NY simply because of location and is only slightly disadvantaged to the W Union Square on other dimensions. Enjoy!
Old Apr 17, 2003, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, AA EXP/CK, EK Gold
Nice follow up by Starwood on my recent stay at W Tuscany

Two days ago (this was 2 weeks after I left the W Tuscany, after a 2-day stay), I got an email asking me to fill out a detailed online survey about my stay. I thought everything was fine, except I gave room service a low grade, and also I gave a low grade for "in-room dining value for price paid". I will explain why in a minute.

Anyway, the survey promised no specific benefits, but it enrolled me in a sweepstakes for a $250 award. Woo-hoo!

I saw one other thread where someone mentioned filling out a survey like this, and getting no response back. So, imagine my surprise when I open my e-mail this morning, to find an email from the W Tuscany In-room Dining Manager, asking for specific feedback on what happened, and why I was dissatisfied, and how they might improve. I'm already impressed!

Anyway, I wrote back that I was underwhelmed with room service because two nights in a row I tried to order ice up to my room (there are no self-service machines), and both times it took over 40 minutes and a second phone call. Now, if the hotel were full, or if it had only happened once, I wouldn't have thought much of it. But it happened two days in a row, at different times of the day, and I know the hotel was pretty empty (the friendly morning desk lady told me....). That's bad service, or at least, it's not good service.

As for the "value for price" ratio of the in-room dining, I explained that this was not specific to the W, and that I felt that way about every single luxury hotel I've ever stayed in. For example, the only item I ordered at the Tuscany was a dessert (brownie w/ ice cream), and after taxes, service charge, room delivery fees, etc, it cost me $19!

Anyway, let's see if I hear back, or if anything further happens. Hopefully this wasn't just a waste of mine and the manager's time.....

BTW, I should also say that I liked the hotel, especially the fact the the room was very large and nicely decorated. For NY standards, it's a huge room, and the location is also very convenient for midtown business (3 blocks from Grand Central station, on the East Side). Also, I found the desk staff EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, which in my experience, is unusual at W hotels. Sean, the guy at the desk, was very nice to me, and to all other guests I saw him interact with, and always had a smile on his face. The attitude also extended to the other staff I saw, such as the daytime desk person, and doorman/porter/valet guy.

I have previously stayed at other W's (Chicago Lakeshore, New Orleans, San Francisco, W New York), and this was one of my best stays.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Sean at the W Tuscany ROCKS!

(William, would you please pass that good word on?)

He is the shining star of what front desk staff should be. He positively MADE my visit there in February.

This is my new favorite NYC hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:20 pm

Is sean the one with the long hair? He rules!!! I enjoyed my stay so much. I know that Sean is the best hotel staff person I have EVER encountered. Same with the short haired valet bell man, well he was pretty young, so boy? Anyway, I mostly dealt with the evening people and they were great!!! I was reluctant to post this, being afraid that this hotel will get too much business and be harder to get into. But i had a great room, room 800 and the staff was so great, and helpful and friendly. BTW the pizza place right on Lex. is the best I have ever had and the blueberry bagels from bagels and more right on Lex. were great!!! I brough some home with me.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:01 pm

I think his name is SHANE. And he is indeed awesome...as are almost all the employees at the Tuscany.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by boolean64:
I think his name is SHANE. And he is indeed awesome...as are almost all the employees at the Tuscany.</font>
ooh..ooh, I think that you are right.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
W New York Tuscany - a hidden gem

I posted earlier on the disastrous service at the W New York where the consistently gave me the standard rooms despite holding status and added spurious charges to my bill. I sent an email on 03/19 with a follow up on 04/16 about a spurious charge to Scott Griffith, Director Of Operations, W New York detailing this. I got a "sponge" reply with platitudes of "how annoying this extra charge must be and rest assured I will look into this and advise". no reply, no refund nothing.

this is in contrast to the w new york tuscany with big rooms, excellent service, no spurious charges and an occasional upgrade to suites. the lobby is a bit cramped, but boy the rooms do make up for that. highly recommended.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I'm glad MilesandMore had a good experience at the Tuscany, but I just wanted to offer a dissenting view. I think the hotel is absolutely grim -- the only person I saw in my three-day stay was a single person at the reception desk (nice enough, but no one I'd come to with any problem to be solved). The darkness of the public spaces evoked feelings of foreboding rather than coolness. The rooms were in severe need of renovation (granted, from other postings I suspect I may have gotten a rare, unrenovated room). Not a good experience -- won't go back.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 6:43 am

Anyone else have recent reviews of the Tuscany? After W San Diego helped me to realize all Ws aren't bad (Just the W NYC-Lex) I am looking into trying a W in NYC

I am looking at the Tuscany (as a Gold). I booked a spectacular room...what am I in for?

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2003, 7:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I stayed at the W Tuscany in September and was disappointed I'm afraid to say. The people were great but the room was awful. Torn drapes, worn carpet, mold growing around the tub, technicians in the room trying to fix broken room amenities at odd hours etc. Ultimately we elected not to change rooms due to the hassle moving things and the W took care of us with $$ & SPF credits. I think that it was just dumb luck with an unrenovated room. I've had better luck at the W - Court next door.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 1:27 pm

I had something similar happen. I was booked at the W NY as a Plat and ended up in a tiny, tiny room. (I've stayed at the hotel several times -- said room was REALLY small.) I called the Plat concierge and was told that they often get such calls from guests at the W NY, and asked if I'd like to switch to the Tuscany the next day -- early check out fee waived -- where the rooms are usually larger. I ended up in an enormous suite with a balcony and patio furniture. Extraordinary for Manhattan. Hotel was indeed a LITTLE worn, about on par w/the W Westwood (LA).
Old Dec 6, 2003, 3:47 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Agreed, void at all costs the W NY. Even the W TS rooms are quite small unless you can talk yourself up to a suite, and this is exactly what is required if you are a Plat. I have done is successfully 3 times at the W TS.

Tuscany and the Court are both great. Both are old apt buildings so the layouts are shall we say unique. Once I was stuck in a small room at the Tuscany (opp elevators), but all other visits I have been in a huge suites which was just great. I am less familar with the Court but it strikes me that all rooms are very large with an entrance hall way in the rooms which makes them very private.

All the Ws are so overdesigned that they simply will not wear well. This has been my criticism of them from the get go. They also attract (encourage) the more affluent party goer (largely singles) clientel (comme moi less the afluence) which will likely add to the wear and tear!

Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:30 am

Does anyone know what Subway line/stop is closest to this hotel?

Thanks...
Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jen80370:
Does anyone know what Subway line/stop is closest to this hotel?

Thanks...
</font>
If you mean the Court and Tuscany, 4/5/6 to Grand Central Station if you're on the east side. If on the west side, take anything to Times Square and transfer to the S (Shuttle) that runs between Times Square and Grand Central. Short three block walk.

FWIW I've stayed at all the Ws in New York except the original. Union Square is the best I think, but pricey and not close to where I need to be. I usually camp out in the Court and Tuscany. Tuscany has less variation in room types (all the rooms are HUGE but very few suites), the Court has several more suites, so more chance of an upgrade, but if booked too late, also more chance of getting a small room. Never noticed any 'run down' rooms. But I do agree that the hotels are both VERY dark and have few staff. Never been a problem for me though. The staff there I find to be outstanding (as one would expect from a small hotel). Depends on your hotel priorities. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.