Community
Wiki Posts
Search

room service tipping?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:20 am
Original Poster

room service tipping?

What do you guys do for room service tipping? When you order, the bill already includes tax, a 19% service charge and a $3.00 delivery charge. Should one also tip the delivery person or is it covered in the included charges?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:24 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
For what it's worth, when I stay, I ask them, "Is your gratuity already figured into the bill?" They usually say, "Yes, no reason to add anything more." Then I usually add a little more for passing the honesty test, but only if the service was good and the order was right.

Then again, I stay for pretty cheap and meals are half-price, so I can usually afford to spread a little more gratuity around the hotel.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited Feb 18, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:37 am
Suspended

if it's included in the bill (19% service charge plus $3), don't tip unless there is something extra special done.

for instance, if you ask the breakfast delivery person to fetch some ice (because of your state of undress), and hand him/her the bucket, that might be worth something extra.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited Feb 18, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:02 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
dupe

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited Feb 18, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice. Sounds like reasonable suggestions!
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pretty much do what Starwood Lurker does, and leave a little something extra.

For years now, the same gentleman has delivered my complimentary fruit and cheese tray and bottled waters at the Four Points LAX, courtesy of the management. I don't tip him for that. I always just give a sincere "Thank You Very Much."

But when this same gentleman delivers my Room Service meals to me, I make sure he gets something much more than a little extra, as sort of a side-door tip and "Thanks" for all the times he's delivered my comp amenity to me.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited Feb 18, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Mmmm ... On this side of the Atlantic, most room service bills I have seen mention the fact that gratuities are not included, even though the service charge is.

For European hotels, I usually add 10%, which IMHO is quite correct.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited Feb 18, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I'm with Lurker, with the exception of the "I stay for pretty cheap and meals are half-price" part.

A few years ago I stayed at the Four Seasons in Austin on a regular basis. (A fabulous hotel that consistently gets things right, but that's not the point here.) They always rubber stamped the room service bill you sign with the statement "Gratuity Included" in nice big, bold type. I always thought that if you feel compelled to add it automatically, that's a classy way to do it.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">They always rubber stamped the room service bill you sign with the statement "Gratuity Included" in nice big, bold type.</font>
I've had that happen at Starwoods quite often too. Just can't recall which ones they were.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I agree, it's really nice when they specify the gratuity is included.

I was at the Westin last night. It did not specify, it just had the blank line labeled 'gratuity' on the bill. That's what prompted me to ask the question.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 3:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mjmock8:
What do you guys do for room service tipping? When you order, the bill already includes tax, a 19% service charge and a $3.00 delivery charge.</font>
I do not tip unless the service was extremely good. The 19% service charge and $3.00 delivery charge is more than enough. Generally the service charge is divided by the in room dining service staff while the delivery charge is retained by the house.

Old Feb 18, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
I had one experience at one of the Starwoods in the US -- don't recall which one, but was either in NYC or Dallas -- where when I asked "Is gratuity included" like William suggests, (and I could see clearly that 18% was included), the response I got really irritated me. The guy said "The service charge is included, but the tip is not". Needless to say, I did not tip him. Just signed the charge slip and gave it back to him.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:22 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Interesting point, I'd always assumed the 'Service Charge' included the tip! Especially when you're looking at 18-20% of the bill + delivery charge! If is doesn't, then what exactly is worth almost 20%? Rolling the cart up to your room?, the kitchen placing the dishes on the tray?? Granted, I will sometimes tip extra when a special service is performed, but usually I just have them leave the cart/tray and I'll uncover the dishes or set it up myself, especially if its just a sandwich or salad. I personally find room service prices to be generally outlandish anyway and try not to use it--even on expense accounts. I'm usually a solo diner and will pick up something outside the hotel or go to the hotel's restaurant and carry it up myself.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mjmock8:
What do you guys do for room service tipping? When you order, the bill already includes tax, a 19% service charge and a $3.00 delivery charge. Should one also tip the delivery person or is it covered in the included charges?

Thanks
</font>
I like to tip good service. But 20% gratuity included is too much. I really question that level. It does not even give us the chance to decide as its already been charged..
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:44 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Service Charge = Gratuity = Tip -- It's all the same thing.

I don't add anything else on, becuase even at 15%, it's too much for the service given in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.