Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2000, 7:46 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Arrow Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Hi Gang,

Just won a Priceline bid for the Westin Bayshore for $45/night + $5/bonus per night for September 1 - September 4th. Labor Day Weekend!!! I was shocked.

Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

Also, is it possible to get upgrades with Priceline bids?

William
Old Aug 12, 2000, 8:11 pm

very nice hotel, well situated, you got an amazing price! What 'star' level on priceline was it categorized as? As to the upgrade, I don't have any experience with that but have heard you can be upgraded but won't get points. Also, the hotel was just renovated so everything is nice and new.
Old Aug 12, 2000, 8:19 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I believe it was rated a 3*.

William
Old Aug 12, 2000, 8:47 pm

When a hotel room is secured via Priceline, you should get the upgrade, but no starpoints nor credit for elite status. Once in a blue moon there may be a screw up in your favor, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Aug 13, 2000, 1:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
I was in YVR last week and the Bayshore was one of the hotels hit with the hotel works strike. I'd call and check to make sure that the strike is settled.

There is an old and new part of the hotel. Hopefully, you'll get a room in the new part.

The Bayshore is next to Stanley Park. It's convenient to Denman and Robson Streets which are jammed with places to eat. It is not that close to the center of town - Pacific Center Mall, art gallery, theatres, or sports arenas.
Old Aug 13, 2000, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is an older hotel and in an awkward location. You will run into high auto traffic most of the time. The area was crowded yesterday (I was not staying there) and long backups especially going northward.
Old Aug 13, 2000, 10:30 am
Original Member

I haven't been there since the renovation but I had a great stay there with a marina view and fabulous service. Have fun!
Old Aug 14, 2000, 10:29 am

If you're an airplane fan you'll enjoy watching the seaplanes landing right next to the hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2000, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I haven't stayed there for years, but generally liked the hotel on both stays (except see below), albeit the location isn't perfect especially if the weather is bad and you want to walk. I seem to recall that there was a nice pool and gym facility, too.

[However, on my last stay there, I came back to the room after turndown to find a large turd in the toilet, and was accused by the manager of fabricating the whole story.]
Old Sep 3, 2002, 8:39 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.

I would like to wholeheartedly recommend the Westin Bayshore resort in Vancouver. I arrived with a tired wife and cranky kid after driving up from Seattle, and found the check in staff warm and welcoming--my room was ready, my status as a Platinum member was acknowledged and appreciated (great room upgrade to the tower with harbour view), and the staff was exceptional, right down to the concierge who helped us immensely with some tours and other information.

Great hotel, excellent staff, unbelievable view!!! Great job Westin--and thanks William!

------------------
Regards,

Art from ISP
Old Sep 3, 2002, 12:24 pm

Art234, Glad you enjoyed the stay. Was it a free weekend by chance? We stayed there last year. It's nice watching the sea planes come in to land. You should give all the Starwood properties a try in Vancouver. There all good.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 9:01 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Actually this was a paid stay--I used Hilton points for SEA and paid for Vancouver. The view of seaplanes landing is exceptional. I took the seaplane tour while my wife and daughter went kayaking in English Harbour.

Great hotel, just a wonderful experience considering we were on vacation!

------------------
Regards,

Art from ISP
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:14 am

How is the location, particularly if one does not rent a car -- planning to use public transportation for a 2 day post-cruise sightseeing stay.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:49 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scotch:
How is the location, particularly if one does not rent a car -- planning to use public transportation for a 2 day post-cruise sightseeing stay.</font>
If you only intend to stay within the Downtown core you are fine without renting a car. Even the hotel is within walking distance to the shopping stretch of Robson St., although you have to walk about 10-15 mins. Similarly, a 10-15 mins. walk will take you from the hotel to English Bay.

Generally the location of the hotel is excellent if you are on vacation. It is secluded from the rest of the Downtown, in a newly developed residential area. Prior to the residential developments, the hotel was the only building in the area.

You might have to catch a cab to good dining, however. Lumiere and Bishop's are about 10 mins. away by car, and C and Yaletown about 5 mins. away by car. Arguably the Downtown restaurants (Diva, Chartwell) you can walk there. I wouldn't mind walking from the Bayshore.

[This message has been edited by jkc22 (edited 06-10-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:36 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although haven't stayed here in 2 yrs., the Westin always ran a daytime complimentary shuttle to downtown YVR. Plus public transit on several lines is only 1-2 blocks away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.