Wiki Posts
Search

Another celebrity sighting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2002, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Another celebrity sighting

I had a lot of trouble deciding which forum to put this in. "Community" seemed as good as any.

We're somewhat immune to celebrity-mania here in New York, and particularly so at the Carnegie Deli, as anyone who has been there can imagine, since they get so many.

Still, I did just go into the Carnegie for dinner at 11:30 P.M. and met Bill Clinton, who had just finished his dinner (with his daughter).

It took him 15 minutes to get out of the restaurant, what with posing for photos or signing autographs for everyone in the place. Somehow everyone just happened to have a camera. Thirty minutes after he left, the place was still a-buzz.

Since the waiters were still standing around mesmerized several minutes after Clinton left, and I was still without a seat, I did ask "How many Presidents do you have to know to get a table in here?"
Old Apr 9, 2002, 11:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
We're somewhat immune to celebrity-mania here in New York, and particularly so at the Carnegie Deli, as anyone who has been there can imagine, since they get so many. </font>
I am amused by this statement because we were at a Knicks game in mid March. We had some wonderful "Club" level seats given to us by a friend in Manhattan. After the first quarter two native Manhattan's moved down to empty seats in front of us. (Their season tickets were way up there.)

They struck up a conversation with my teenaged boys about celebrities in the audience. Their opinion was that New Yorkers consider celebs a dime a dozen. However: much to my kid's delight they pointed out where certain celebs sit. My boys got their autographs which thrilled them. In the crowd were: Hallie Barry, Calvin Klein, Chris Rock and Woody Allen among others.

Personally, I wouldn't approach any of them as I wouldn't want to disturb them. But, if others want to: I think it's all a part of fame. I appreciate celebs who are gracious to their fans.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention:

The indifference to celebrity that we profess here in NYC is sometimes disingenuous.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 8:11 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
So Rich, how did you greet him? Was it, " Hello Bill, good to finally meet you ", or perhaps the more traditional " Hello Mr. President " .... ???

Old Apr 11, 2002, 8:42 am
Original Member

"Have a cigar"...?
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:42 am

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Who cares about Bill Clinton...

I saw James Bond walking up 6th Avenue last weekend.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

If you must know, instead of anything particularly clever, and under the piercing gaze of a BIG security guy, all I could manage was "I have no camera" (since everyone else in the place seemed to) "but thanks for eight great years."

He replied "Thank you, sir. It was an honor."

Actually I've come close to meeting him before, at political events, and have heard him speak, in person, at least two or three times.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
If you must know, instead of anything particularly clever, and under the piercing gaze of a BIG security guy, all I could manage was "I have no camera" (since everyone else in the place seemed to) "but thanks for eight great years."

Actually I've come close to meeting him before, at political events, and have heard him speak, in person, at least two or three times.
</font>
I was at a major fundraiser while he was "da man". I got to shake hands with him and the veep at the same time (gees, they sure don't do that anymore). He is larger than life, but one thing I can't get out of my head is "I didn't have sexual relations with that woman." "It was an honor," he said? I'll stop, since this is not the place for my opinions of the guy.

Old Apr 11, 2002, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Markbach: Your picture was too cool! Thanks! You are right, who cares about Clinton? Thankfully he's done!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by markbach:
Who cares about Bill Clinton...

I saw James Bond walking up 6th Avenue last weekend.
</font>
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:09 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I actually liked Billy Bob.... but then again, why should I have an opinion since Im not (yet) a US Citizen....
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
..., all I could manage was "I have no camera" ...

ha, ha, ha, good one!

... "but thanks for eight great years."

Heartwarming - great save!</font>
Old Apr 12, 2002, 10:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QuietLion:
"Have a cigar"...?</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.