Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2000 post club! [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
2000 post club! [merged threads]

August 6, 2015 ... 12 years later: I re-read this post when a notification popped up and immediately wanted to delete it, but I think it's more deserving of eye rolls -- Good gawd, how did you all put up with THAT guy??!!
-------------------------------------------------
I think that it's time for me to take a time-out. Here are my reasons:

- Business is going really great and it's difficult finding time to follow discussions in multiple airline, hotel and FT Travel forums

- Coupon Connection has become weird

- My travel is not currently heavy enough for me to offer quality advice.

- OMNI (a favorite non-travel distraction) has become quite nasty and I find myself falling into the fray. I can't quite explain it other than historically OMNI was a place that many of us visited when we became glassy-eyed after reading every Mileage Run, discussing the latest UA/AA promos and trying to figure out how many 50k point promos we could earn at Hilton.

However OMNI is now a gathering place for people that don't travel and/or don't participate in the travel-related forums or FT gatherings. This seems to prevent them from acquiring the community spirit that we all know and love; no different than a Coupon Connection-only poster.

So with that, I give myself a time-out from posting.

Magic111: That 1000th post was more of a joke (although I did take a little break). I'm not leaving FT, just taking a little time off and I thought that I should explain myself (I don't think I'm the only person who is feeling this way).

(4-10-2003) **********************************************

Like a moth to a frickin' flame, I just can't stay away any longer. My knees buckled and became weak at the SEA-Do invitation from MissyD. And as Rudy has pointed out, it's playoff time - so I have to start bragging about my Sacramento Kings!

The odds of a Kings Playoff Do are pretty darn slim. There is no higer priced commodity in Northern California this time of year. Heck $10 Standing Room Only tickets go for $125-$200 each!

Last edited by TravelManKen; Aug 7, 2015 at 1:23 am Reason: No change in post, just noticed a ton of spelling errors :eek:
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:17 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

I'm sorry to hear this, TMK. I've always enjoyed your posts and thought they were value-added. I hope you will consider posting when you can ... esp. as your beloved Kings come closer to clinching the NBA Pacific Division title ...

--------
essxjay
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
See also What are you giving up for Lent? (4 Mar 03)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...79#post1918079
OMNI!
For what it's worth, I've appreciated your contributions, Ken. If I'm ever in SMF . . .

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jul 12, 2005 at 10:39 pm Reason: revise link in "new" bulletin board format.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Congrats on the 2000th post. Hopefully you won't gone for long.

Hope we can make some more A's games this year.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TravelManKen:

OMNI is now a gathering place for people that don't travel and/or don't participate in the travel-related forums pr get-togethers on FT. This seems to prevent them from acquiring the community spirit that we all know and love. No different than a Coupon Connection only poster.

</font>
Is it that much different now that previously?

Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Promises Promises
Or I think we heard this swan song once before
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TravelManKen
April 4, 2002

I could not think of a more appropriate place to post number 1000. If FlyerTalk is a sport and I am a participating teammate, there comes a time when you must take a bow and leave. When that athlete looks in the mirror and asks those burning questions – ‘Have I lost my skill?’ ‘Do I have what it takes to continue?’ Well I’m not sure. So because I don’t want to be Willie Mays tripping over himself in center field or an overweight Magic Johnson trying to run the point in the mid 90’s. I’ll just leave it at this:
...and on the 1000th post, he rests.
God Bless FlyerTalk and God Bless America!

------------------
Ken in Sacramento
</font>

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am glad I have your email-address

See you (and let's go Kings - go!!).
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:22 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm glad for reason #1 and hope that's primary and your business to continues to thrive.

I'll miss butting heads with you from time to time.

Hey, I have a suggestion ... instead of giving up FT, why not give up some of that work you do for the Republican party? Just had to give you one for the road.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

geo took a sabbatical and now he's back.

Enjoy the time away - and looking forward to your eventual return.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the heads-up so we don't have to worry about what happened to you. Enjoy the breather!
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I will miss your unique perspective, articulateness, and your willingness to take stands. WHile i often disagree with you I repect the way you put out your beliefs. I am rooting for you in your new business and for the Kings to KICK BUTT ....
Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
So, feeling refreshed yet, TMK? You are missed.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:16 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Your timing is quite interesting cblaisd as I spoke to TMK just this afternoon. (Thanks Ken, BTW, for waking me up from my nap..otherwise I would have been late for my ball game!)

Word has it, he'll be back soon, and has penciled a certain PAC NW Do into his schedule
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by missydarlin:
Your timing is quite interesting ...</font>
Well, I always try to time things satisfactorily

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Word has it, he'll be back soon...
</font>
Excellent news!

Old Apr 10, 2003, 1:14 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
now ... a Kings playoff Do would be something?

Go Kings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.