Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Old May 2, 2001, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach

Okay FTers, my wife and I have been wondering about this for a while: What is the allure of In-N-Out Brger?

I've lived in SoCal most of my life (with stints in other states and overseas), while my wife is a midwest transplant. People I run into always ask about In-N-Out. Even had a bunch of co-workers here from Texas that HAD to go to In-N-Out. I can make a better burger on the grill at home.

I can think of several burger places that I would rather go to (and had cravings for when living elsewhere). So, are there others here that feel the same way? Or, have my tastebuds been destroyed by eating too many MREs and airline food?
Old May 2, 2001, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I never undrstood the fascination, either, but here's a fairly recent discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001420.html
Old May 2, 2001, 10:40 am

Wow, there's an acronym I'd forgotten...MRE's. What branch?

BTW, in military jargon it means Meals, Ready to Eat. Those lovely gelatinous morsels that come out of green/brown cans when you're 'playing' in the woods.
Old May 2, 2001, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that a lot of the appeal comes from the fact that for a true 'fast food' burger they are quite good. I had more than my share while at UCLA. They are definetly, IMHO, better than MCDo's, Burger King et al. However there are better burgers out there. In particular, Johnny Rockets, Fatburger, and what is by far the best burger in L.A., ApplePan!
Old May 2, 2001, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

MRE - former Jarhead, er, Marine. Actually MRE's come in pouches. The canned delicacies were the famous (or infamous) "C-Rations." The best thing about C-rats were the canned peaches (although they were 12 years old).

Just saw a review about Applepan on Channel 9 last night. Torrance, right? I need to find the address...

Fat Burger is great. I dunno about Johnny Rockets, just doesn't excite me. Plus, had horrible service at Johnny's in Auburn WA a couple of months back.
Old May 2, 2001, 1:31 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
My favorite thing about INO is the service. I have NEVER eaten there and had anyone be anything but absolutely friendly.

BTW: I am a vegetarian and often order a grilled cheese sandwich at INO. They always happily accomodate me.
Old May 2, 2001, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by boilermaker:

Just saw a review about Applepan on Channel 9 last night. Torrance, right? I need to find the address...

I din't know there was more than one. I was refering to the one on Pico at Westwood
Old May 2, 2001, 6:54 pm

In-N-Out burgers are still #1 since 1956 in Santa Ana, CA
Old May 2, 2001, 8:40 pm

Yes, I remember INO when I was in Long Beach, I ate there almost everyday!

------------------
Al
Tenplus401 likes this.
Old May 2, 2001, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
My first time was in Azusa in 1976. Check out the menu at In-n-Out Burger, and click on nutritional information for some pleasant surprises. For example, a 'double-double', fries, and chocolate shake only come to 1,760 calories, which is less than one day's recommended caloric intake! And the fat... only 95 grams. Thats less than 100! You could eat there every weekday and still barely consume a pound of pure fat (and with only 10g of salt to boot).

OK, now that I'm hungry and in the mood, I'll ask: any FT'ers been to Clearman's Galley on the corner of Huntington and Rosemead (Arcadia/San Gabriel area)? Opinions? For my money, the best chiliburgers this side of... everywhere.
Old May 2, 2001, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
UAL trav

Unfortunately from a heart health point of view the percent of calories from fat runs about 50% (albeit not all saturated), but not too healthy
Of course unless your comment was meant as "tongue in cheek" - then this comment is only meant for those who took you seriously
Old May 3, 2001, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
estnet: totally tongue-in-cheek, and not teeth-in-burger
Old May 3, 2001, 10:29 pm

A little offtopic, which hamburger joint is FTs fav? I personally like Jack in the Box and MCd's fries
Old May 4, 2001, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Depends on what part of the country I'm in.

Home in CA, Carl's Jr. burgers, McD's fries, Tommy's double cheese burger (with chili), Fat Burger, Alberto's (and their offshoots), Pink's hot dogs...I could go on and on.

Midwest: Chick-fila (great chicken biscuit for breakfast), Steak-N-Shake, Sonic (like the ambiance). Have to be in a certain mood for sliders...
Old May 4, 2001, 10:57 am

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
hey, just get a diet coke instead of the shake!

when i was smaller, like 6 years ago, i spent most of the summer in SoCal. i got three kinds of food-related religion: Fatburger, the best but not as commonly found, INO, at which i'd often wolf two d-d's with a side of fries, well done, and the last being a scary kind of "tortilla" chip that was most tasty.

i still, upon getting to LAX, attempt to get to Fatburger as soon as possible. i-n-o is easier to find, especially down in SD, so that pleasure can wait. i don't eat two d-ds anymore...i'm not a teenager anymore, either!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.