Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded to coach when boarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2024, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum
Downgraded to coach when boarding

Help? What will AA compensation be? Was boarding plane CDG to DFW just now took my seat away to give to a pilot. Now sitting in regular coach. Who has experienced this and what can I expect AA will give me? SO upset 😭. This was a paid ticket not miles.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 3:07 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joyoustravel
Help? What will AA compensation be? Was boarding plane CDG to DFW just now took my seat away to give to a pilot. Now sitting in regular coach. Who has experienced this and what can I expect AA will give me? SO upset 😭. This was a paid ticket not miles.
Given you're departing the EU, you're entitled to 75% of the fare you paid.

• In the event of downgrading, the carrier must reimburse the passenger within seven days as follows: (i) 30% of the ticket price for flights of 1 500 km or less, (ii) 50% for flights of between 1 500 and 3 500 km and intra-EU flights of more than 1 500 km, and (iii) 75% for flights of over 3 500 km.
​​​​​​​Source: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/facts...ssenger-rights
Old Apr 18, 2024, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Makes no difference if this was miles or cash - you are entitled to reimbursement of 75% of the fare paid for the downgraded leg (exclusing proper government taxes and airport fees)

Note that the EU261 regulation referrs to 'reimbursement' not 'compensation' so you need to ask AA for that.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
75% refund of the fare for the downgraded segment (not 75% off the fare for the whole ticket)

Luckily, this is a day-time flight Westbound/to the US so most likely the OP will survive.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
What class were you downgraded from?
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:35 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Odd they bump a paying passenger and not one who may have upgraded with points/SWU.
NotHamSarnie and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Odd they bump a paying passenger and not one who may have upgraded with points/SWU.
Bio says the OP is DL Platinum. May not have AA status, which may have factored into the downgrade decision.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:57 am

Quick question regarding downgrades of this sort on long-haul flights ...

Let's suppose the compensation for the downgrade (75% of fare, perhaps $1000 or more) isn't worth it to me, and I just don't want to fly in economy for that long. Can one ask the agent to be rebooked on a future flight in business? I'm assuming yes, but not sure about the rules here. If one were to say, refuse to fly in economy and demand to be rebooked on a future flight (suppose one has a health condition or something and cannot sit in an economy seat for such an extended period), how would the agent respond?

Curious if anyone has experienced this.
Spiff, NotHamSarnie and donotblink like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you can request to be put on a later flight in the class that you booked, but I believe, and I can always be wrong, that it limits your rights to the EC261 compensation.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes you can request to be put on a later flight in the class that you booked, but I believe, and I can always be wrong, that it limits your rights to the EC261 compensation.
if the rebooking required an additional overnight would AA have to comp the hotel?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:20 pm

It might well have been done by ops with the gate agent not being aware, pilot might have been on duty and the pilot rest seat might have had an issue, if it was an overbook I would think they would look for volunteers prior to a downgrade. The op might have been picked for the simple reason they had the seat that was needed as a pilot rest. In any event I would start by seeing what they offer knowing what your legal entitlement is and I would not have taken the downgrade
mnhusker likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Have we heard back from the OP? His saying that he was downgraded to “regular coach” leads me to wonder if this was a downgrade from J or PE and, if PE, whether the OP paid for PE.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Have we heard back from the OP? His saying that he was downgraded to “regular coach” leads me to wonder if this was a downgrade from J or PE and, if PE, whether the OP paid for PE.
That's why I asked what class he was downgraded from? Under EC261 the downgrade compensation (75% of the fare of the leg) is still the same, but it would be interesting to know if this was a one or two class downgrade.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by npretnar
if the rebooking required an additional overnight would AA have to comp the hotel?
It wouldn't have to given that the passenger could have flown in the lower cabin - whether it would have agreed to pay is another question
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Blumie
If giving the OP a seat in PE would have required downgrading another passenger from PE to regular coach, AA would owe two people the EC261 downgrade refund for the segment: 75% of the OP's business class fare and 75% of the (former) PE passenger's fare. So the airline has an incentive to just downgrade one person the whole way rather than doing two downgrades of one cabin class.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.