Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

(Cathay Lab sustainable travel - bring your own cutlery on Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Cathay Lab sustainable travel - bring your own cutlery on Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(Cathay Lab sustainable travel) Bring your own cutlery in Business Class

What are they smoking…

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 18, 2024 at 8:38 am
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I want some of it!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:41 am

I would happily do #1 (I've always been doing that in fact) but I can't understand what's your problem with #3? You are not willing to hand over a bottle to the crew even if they come to your seat to collect it? I think you rejecting #3 is equally astonishing as what they proposed in #2...
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
everything other than 2 seems appropriate for me, since most of us pick up a bottle of evian or something at the airport anyways (pre-Long haul flights). I'll happily refill that rather than get another bottle.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VE105
I would happily do #1 (I've always been doing that in fact) but I can't understand what's your problem with #3? You are not willing to hand over a bottle to the crew even if they come to your seat to collect it? I think you rejecting #3 is equally astonishing as what they proposed in #2...
I actually do (4) .I was getting put off by the cutbacks suggested in the previous pages. (2) takes the biscuit.

(3) Are you suggesting crew have to do sorting in-flight? General rubbish, then bottles? Is CX going to put on more staff to make that happen?

(1) - in the galley (what if you exit door 1 left?)? On the airbridge (outport gate operator: sorry, you can't get off because the recycle bin-equipped airbridge is currently in use)?
If you mean take it home/hotel I agree that would be practical but that is not what the Cathay Lab people wrote - doesn't look like the writer of survey travels much on commercial planes.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 19, 2024 at 2:21 am
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm fine with 3 and 4 but 2, bringing my own cutlery, makes no sense to me at all. How am I to pack up used cutlery to take away? And how many sets do I need to bring to have cutlery at the different times food is available on the flight? This makes me cringe.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
I have nothing against 3 - tbh it doesnt take much to dispose plastic bottles in bag A and anything else in bag B but option 2 is ridiculous. They can offer reusable cutlery anyway.
sa to refilling or not, wouldnt that normalise refilling bottles with wines?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
Security would definitely be happy with passengers bringing their own knives onto planes.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 3:50 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Wait...you mean I don't have to bring my own toilet paper on board (yet)??? Great news!
Freddorick and AJNEDC like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 4:28 pm

How would you even get past security? People who don't know the rules would end up having a stash of "non compliant" cutlery confiscated.

Also aren't non-disposable (metal and wood) cutlery already provided in business class - this comes across to me as a solution seeking a problem.

#3 is fine. But don't we normally leave empty plastic bottles at our seats anyway, so shouldn't the cleaners just be asked to separate the recyclables versus trash?
Freddorick and feh like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Also aren't non-disposable (metal and wood) cutlery already provided in business class - this comes across to me as a solution seeking a problem.
Exactly - in CX J (regional or long haul) all existing cutlery (even the ice cream spoon) is already reusable. Telling pax to bring their own is only a cutback with no sustainability benefits.

There were also other suggestions such as making Discovery digital and only providing amenity kits on demand which may have sustainability merit but also simultaneously cutbacks (amenity kit existing practice: if the kits are left behind and the plastic tie has not been opened, don't the kits get given to the next passenger anyway?)
AJNEDC, feh and gwang0618 like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 19, 2024 at 2:21 am
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Moof I got reposted https://www.facebook.com/groups/hkad...ibextid=W9rl1R
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:17 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
I got asked the same set of questions but for first class.
I wrote in comments "What kind of things are you smoking? Or do you think we can bring anything remotely look like a knife into security area?"
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AmD950
Or do you think we can bring anything remotely look like a knife into security area?"
Survey co: “insert question: should we take away steaks, lamb chops and pork chops from the menu? Reduce carbon footprint”
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:22 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Good tabloid fodder - but its not going to happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.