Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage or Executive club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:01 am
Original Poster

AAdvantage or Executive club

I have been living in BOS for the past few years and have gold status with BA. I'm looking into the possibility of joining AAdvantage What are the pros and cons of doing this. I mostly fly transatlantic premium econommy.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:04 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Irishtraveler
I have been living in BOS for the past few years and have gold status with BA. I'm looking into the possibility of joining AAdvantage What are the pros and cons of doing this. I mostly fly transatlantic premium econommy.
What would your estimated yearly LP earnings be? The biggest difference afaik is the SWUs, but I know BA has jokers (but I'm unfamiliar with their use). You'll also have fewer redemption options on Avios airlines.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:04 am

Although you mostly fly international, I'll just say that there is a distinction when you fly within the US*:
BA Gold gets Admirals Club access, but AA elites do not
AA elites are eligible for free upgrades, but BA Gold is not

So you might want to decide which of those matters more to you. As the odds of free upgrades for AA elites seem to be declining over time, the calculus of BA versus AA may change as well.

*And a few other places, per AA's definition.

Last edited by saunders111; Apr 18, 2024 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is BA gold the same as AA gold benefit wise?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Irishtraveler
That depends. Are you primarily interested in benefits associated with elite status, or with the relative value of Avios vs. AAdvantage miles for redemption purposes?

How often -- if ever -- do you fly AA wholly within North America, whether on cash tickets or award tickets?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is BA gold the same as AA gold benefit wise?
No: BA Gold is oneworld Emerald (highest oneworld elite tier); AA Gold is oneworld Ruby (lowest oneworld elite tier).
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
No: BA Gold is oneworld Emerald (highest oneworld elite tier); AA Gold is oneworld Ruby (lowest oneworld elite tier).
It's BA's highest? What's their lowest....tin?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:27 am

BA's highest is Gold Guest List, which is kind of similar to Concierge Key on AA (but does have differences).
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
BA's levels compared to AA's

Bronze = Gold
Silver = Platinum
Gold = EXP
Gold Guest List = CK

They also have Premier above GGL.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA has 3 levels of platinum, so there’s that. Frankly Bronze, Silver, Gold makes more sense than Platinum, Plat Pro, and Executive Platinum.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
AA has 3 levels of platinum, so there’s that. Frankly Bronze, Silver, Gold makes more sense than Platinum, Plat Pro, and Executive Platinum.
Yeah it makes more sense but it sounds kinda funny to my ear to call some of your elites "bronze" - like, "oh well at least you tried, sweetie"
AJNEDC and jimmygottfredson like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:00 am

On a slightly tangential note, I wonder if maybe enviroian is pulling all our collective legs a bit here? I feel very weird trying to answer such a basic question for someone with 70 posts for every one of mine...

Anyway, if it was a troll, you hooked me nicely, so congrats!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
That depends. Are you primarily interested in benefits associated with elite status, or with the relative value of Avios vs. AAdvantage miles for redemption purposes?

How often -- if ever -- do you fly AA wholly within North America, whether on cash tickets or award tickets?
I'm more interested in benefits than redemptions.
I very rarely fly AA completely within North America my most flown AA route is BOS-PHL-DUB and sometimes when going to DUB I fly BOS-LHR-DUB on BA. i thypically go to dub 4 times a year to see family and i go to various other european cities for a combination of work and pleasure so I fly almost monthly. Earlier this year I flew to MUC though that was on LH so wouldn't have gotten any status or miles from that.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by saunders111
On a slightly tangential note, I wonder if maybe enviroian is pulling all our collective legs a bit here? I feel very weird trying to answer such a basic question for someone with 70 posts for every one of mine...

I wasn’t purposely trolling enviroian, more just pointing out the ridiculousness of AA having 3 platinum levels. I honestly thought he was asking legitimately.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saunders111

no not trolling. Just kind of surprised their top tier is usually named the lowest here in the US that’s all.
AJNEDC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.