Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA HHA Clarification with my family situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

I have about 83K avios in my own BA account, am head of household in the HHA I established with my wife and minor daughter, all living under the same roof in the US, both of them have zero now but have their own BA accounts.

My wife will soon have about 200K Amex points, waiting on a transfer bonus to transfer to her BA account that is part of the household, so can maximize it to 240K Avios with a 20% (or if it is 30% even better) bonus whenever it arrives during the year. The trip we want is probably a couple of years away as a high school graduation gift for my daughter, a trip to Rome with us.

If my wife has a disproportionate amount of points higher than mine, would there be any disadvantage in redemption the pro-rata method when it comes time to redeem? Assume the first one way trip is economy (80K points) and the second one way trip is business class using my wife's points (240K for example), I don't get to choose how BA uses the Avios in the household during redemption time, right? Based on my understanding, how they slice and dice the 80K and 240K needed is immaterial as long as we have the necessary Avios in totality, is that an accurate understanding?

I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I even think of transferring when the time comes. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by csr72; Apr 19, 2024 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:59 pm

Yes, you’re right. They’re just pro-rata taken from each account proportional to how many Avios you have. So your wife will have more taken than you.
csr72 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infrequentflytalker
Yes, you’re right. They’re just pro-rata taken from each account proportional to how many Avios you have. So your wife will have more taken than you.
Are there any downsides to the pro-rata method at all? Just trying to understand what some sites mean when they say "You are NOT fully merging your accounts when you create a household account at ba.com" but when you redeem, it seems like a merge to me if we travel together?
Old Apr 19, 2024, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by csr72
Are there any downsides to the pro-rata method at all? Just trying to understand what some sites mean when they say "You are NOT fully merging your accounts when you create a household account at ba.com" but when you redeem, it seems like a merge to me if we travel together?
There’s no downsides at all, other than that you can’t control the split of Avios, but as you’re sharing all of them and seeing it as a pooled balance, it’s no issue!
csr72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.