Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s 767s to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Delta’s 767s to HNL

As I am forever searching for ways to get to/from Hawaii well-rested, I ran across some good fares on the nonstop JFK-HNL (“good” being relative in this case, all lie-flats to Hawaii are ridiculously expensive).

Anyhoo, I used to fly EWR-HNL on CO pretty regularly, so I know that that sort of flight is what I need.

However, I’ve read elsewhere that DL uses ancient 767s for this route, and that everything on these planes is terrible.

Is this true? (It would explain the “cheap” fare). But it doesn’t sound like you get any full Delta One treatment or hard product at all. Is this true?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:10 pm

Programs: NW GE
It’s real d1 service lite. Probably comparable to the trans on d1 (tho I haven’t been on that recently).

you do get duvet, pillow etc, but the catering is more along the lines of domestic F

equipment is indeed prehistoric zero privacy 767 d1
notsosmart and awonderer like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by notsosmart
As I am forever searching for ways to get to/from Hawaii well-rested, I ran across some good fares on the nonstop JFK-HNL (“good” being relative in this case, all lie-flats to Hawaii are ridiculously expensive).

Anyhoo, I used to fly EWR-HNL on CO pretty regularly, so I know that that sort of flight is what I need.

However, I’ve read elsewhere that DL uses ancient 767s for this route, and that everything on these planes is terrible.

Is this true? (It would explain the “cheap” fare). But it doesn’t sound like you get any full Delta One treatment or hard product at all. Is this true?
The 767 is a D1 "hard product" (seat). In the words of Dalton, "Opinions Vary" though a high percentage of FTers agree that the 767-300 D1 seat is inferior to other DL D1 products and many other Business Class options on other airlines. For JFK-HNL, it is also considered D1 for other aspects in the hard and soft product, including lounge access, D1 pillow and blanket, amenity kits, "higher" quality meals and beverage selections, printed menus, etc. Conversely, UA is all FC-marketed to Hawaii, not Polaris-marketed so even if you get a Polaris equipped jet, it won't come with the full Polaris treatment. Depending on the route you fly on with UA, you may also have a 777 with 2-4-2 in FC. AA via DFW is marketed as "Flagship Business" with 777s and 787s (more 787s lately from what I've seen) and is not a bad way to go. AFAIK, all other AA options to Hawaii via PHX and LAX are domestic FC and usually operated with A321NEOs now with a standard domestic FC seat.

Is the DL 767-300 my favorite option to Hawaii? No. There are better lie-flat hard products out there, including (at least IMO), HA on JFK-HNL, even if HA is 2-2-2 on the A330. If you go via ORD or IAD on UA and get a Polaris equipped bird, it's not a bad-way to go. Again, AA is also a good option, if you go via DFW or can find a 787 via PHX (less common now). But I'm willing to compare price and schedule and for an upcoming trip, price and schedule had me go with the DL 767-300 on HNL-JFK and it'll be adequate and still a lie-flat. Better than a redeye in a domestic FC seat for sure.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Being of shorter stature (5'6") I'm "OK" with the 767-300 D1 seats. But just OK. I find I have a hard time doing the full flat recline in those seats perhaps because my shoulders are just about the same width as the seat. As a result I usually find myself laying on my side rather than my back when trying to sleep on that aircraft. In general I look for a different aircraft when doing long-haul flights in D1.
notsosmart likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
OP, DeltaOne will get you SkyClub access at JFK and HNL (pro tip - look for the Bubbie's mochi ice cream in the cooler across from the bar) and, starting later this summer, access to the DeltaOne lounge at JFK. The current menu may be found at https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/jfk-hnl/ - there will also be two additional entrees that can be pre-ordered. I much prefer UA's Polaris on EWR-HNL (when operating) but I do like the lounge access and not having to go out to EWR.
notsosmart and tardyturtle like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
OP, DeltaOne will get you SkyClub access at JFK and HNL (pro tip - look for the Bubbie's mochi ice cream in the cooler across from the bar) and, starting later this summer, access to the DeltaOne lounge at JFK. The current menu may be found at https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/jfk-hnl/ - there will also be two additional entrees that can be pre-ordered. I much prefer UA's Polaris on EWR-HNL (when operating) but I do like the lounge access and not having to go out to EWR.
As a note, menu.delta.com is the new website for PS/D1/F menus. And in addition, while the 763 is often DL's default aircraft for D1 flights to Hawaii far out in the schedule, they will change it if needed. I've flown HNL-JFK on the 764 which is a much different and better experience than the 763.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thank you all kindly for the exhaustive responses. I will keep keeping a lookout for decent fares, but might lean toward AA ex-DFW after all, as I don’t necessarily want to backtrack to NYC (I’m currently based in IND).

Maybe I remembered things through rose-tinted glasses, but even when CO’s 767s ex-EWR were considered “inferior” to CO’s longhaul C/D product, they were still the best way to got to the airport in Honolulu and wake up in New York well rested (it helped that I lived in Manhattan, and that was my one flight for the day).

Maybe the DL product is similar, and I’m just picking nits.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
I believe most of the 763s have been "refreshed" with new memory foam seats and seat covers in D1 (along with a PS cabin), which helps. While I felt like I had to cross my fingers each time I tried to operate the mechanical seat controls as I wasn't sure how well they'd work, I wasn't unhappy flying this old bird because lie-flats beat First Class recliners any day. Sure, the IFE sucks (I just pack my iPad), but the food seemed on-par with international DeltaOne (except no ice cream sundae bar!). The footwells are a bit cramped, so I like the front row.

If you are IND based, you could consider MSP-HNL (763) or ATL-HNL (330-300). If your trip is far enough out, just book the cheap JFK routing, wait for the inevitable schedule change, then switch to your preferred routing gratis!

Cabin interior video:
notsosmart, HNL1K and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Thank you all kindly for the exhaustive responses. I will keep keeping a lookout for decent fares, but might lean toward AA ex-DFW after all, as I don’t necessarily want to backtrack to NYC (I’m currently based in IND).
Being based in IND, if you go via ORD on UA, UA runs 787s to Hawaii from ORD which are Polaris equipped. UA isn't a bad way to go to Hawaii. I flew UA to Hawaii back in early 2022 on a Polaris-equipped 777 with hot meal service when DL was still running COVID-level service (sad boxes and limited drinks). I was quite happy with the experience on UA and after this year when I move to more free-agent, I'd be content to go with UA again.

You don't say when you're traveling but if it's more than about 2 months out, there's a good chance of a DL schedule change between now and then. You could book the option via JFK, wait for the (probable) schedule change and then switch to go via ATL which is either on the A330-300 or the A350 (Ex-LATAM with 2-2-2 in D1, not D1 Suites but still decent seats from reports on here). Lately even very minor schedule changes trigger the ability to make changes online without incurring a fare difference.
(ETA: Looks like tardyturtle beat me to the punch with this point)
awonderer and notsosmart like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I believe most of the 763s have been "refreshed" with new memory foam seats and seat covers in D1 (along with a PS cabin), which helps. While I felt like I had to cross my fingers each time I tried to operate the mechanical seat controls as I wasn't sure how well they'd work, I wasn't unhappy flying this old bird because lie-flats beat First Class recliners any day. Sure, the IFE sucks (I just pack my iPad), but the food seemed on-par with international DeltaOne (except no ice cream sundae bar!). The footwells are a bit cramped, so I like the front row.

If you are IND based, you could consider MSP-HNL (763) or ATL-HNL (330-300). If your trip is far enough out, just book the cheap JFK routing, wait for the inevitable schedule change, then switch to your preferred routing gratis!
You forgot DTW-HNL (another 763 route). Whether routing through JFK, DTW, MSP, or ATL, applicable D1 fares on IND-HNL will be the same and start at $3578 roundtrip for Z fares (with 60 day advance purchase requirement). D1 Z fares out of JFK start at $2860 roundtrip. If you can find dates with Z availability out of IND, it's probably not really worth repositioning to JFK. D1 Z fares on CMH-HNL start at $3178 roundtrip if you are willing to drive to save some money.
awonderer and notsosmart like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 26, 2024 at 10:26 pm
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
AA 787, UA and HAs 787 are by far the best product to Hawaii. Id vote the A330 on DL is second.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tardyturtle

Cabin interior video: cabin tour here.
Only the 76Ks (with PS) got refurbished. DL still uses some of the old ancient 76L or 76Z on some HI flights which did not get refurbished.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB
Hello, we have flown CDG to LAX many times on Air France and after the AF Business class the Delta First is a come-down: the seats on the 767 are more or less lie-flat but very much like hard, little coffins with a duvet and a pillow; the food is atrocious; most of the TVs are out of order; the plane is noisy and the staff vary between pleasant and sullen if not unpleasant. The only saving grace is the MARVELLOUS DeltaOne check-in at LAX: instant check-in, no line, very pleasant attendants, available showers, etc. Gets crowded but very pleasant on the whole. Food and drinks plentiful, terrace. The 767s should be avoided--terrible planes.
Enjoy your trip. Cheers
F.W.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wentworth
Hello, we have flown CDG to LAX many times on Air France and after the AF Business class the Delta First is a come-down: the seats on the 767 are more or less lie-flat but very much like hard, little coffins with a duvet and a pillow; the food is atrocious; most of the TVs are out of order; the plane is noisy and the staff vary between pleasant and sullen if not unpleasant. The only saving grace is the MARVELLOUS DeltaOne check-in at LAX: instant check-in, no line, very pleasant attendants, available showers, etc. Gets crowded but very pleasant on the whole. Food and drinks plentiful, terrace. The 767s should be avoided--terrible planes.
Enjoy your trip. Cheers
F.W.
767s haven't been on LAX-CDG in probably five-six years. And the -400s are fine, so not all 767s are alike.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:20 am

I actually like the 767-300s if I can get 1A or 1D. The bulkhead gives you a dash of privacy and the footwells are huge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.