Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Numerous routes suspended due to 787 delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:16 am
Original Poster

As quoted by JonNYC, DFW-DUB/FCO, ORD-CDG, JFK-BCN & numerous frequency reductions

https://x.com/xjonnyc/status/1783914931919688135?s=46&t=EcFTqaB9iFzlSxC2Hd-pxA
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm guessing we get more of the ol' faithful - LHR?
veron689908 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Antarius
i dont know, i was searching for a tpa-dfw-lhr just now and couldnt get anything to come up even though there are plenty of open seats direct dfw-lhr on my preferred dates
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:44 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Also reported due to delivery delays, DFW-BNE will not be launching with the premium heavy 789 with the new Flagship Suites product.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Some speculation goes to the 77Ws needing to go in for reconfiguration after the summer season is over, meaning AA will be even more short of widebodies between that project and Boeing delivery delays
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:50 am
Original Poster

If only they had some widebodies parked that could still do a job. Oh wait
Uzzar, donotblink, Mr. BoH and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
If only they had some widebodies parked that could still do a job. Oh wait
They don't have any type-rated pilots to fly them, and I wouldn't be surprised if all the spare parts and infrastructure to support them are long gone. Hell, I think you'd have to get all the maintenance folks type-rated on it again as well.

It's not an ideal situation, but I can't see it making any sense to commit the investment to re-introduce a new type to the fleet to cover some routes to Europe in winter.
donotblink likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Interesting that theyre taking JFK-BCN off entirely as that has always been year-round, ending the double daily to Rome before Labor Day and cutting back EZE headed into Argentinas summer. That said, if you dont have the planes to deploy, then theres not much you can do.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 8:12 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by jerseytom
They don't have any type-rated pilots to fly them, and I wouldn't be surprised if all the spare parts and infrastructure to support them are long gone. Hell, I think you'd have to get all the maintenance folks type-rated on it again as well.
They have type rated pilots, but they would need to go for recurrency training.
To my knowledge, A&P's aren't type rated. A mechanic can be working on a Cessna 172 one day and go work on a 787 the next, in theory. That doesn't take into account whatever is in the airline ops requirements though.

All that being said, I think it's been well established that the 330 fleet was parked prematurely. But I don't think anyone gave it much criticism when the decision was made when everyone thought air travel would take quite some time to rebound. AA was in the worst financial shape of the US3, though I wonder what the actual cost would have been to keep operating them since they were (still are) owned without lease payments. 5 of the original year 2000 deliveries of the A333 show scrapped between Oct 2023 and April 2024 on airfleets. Based on that progression of roughly 1 per month, it makes me wonder if they're working their way through them alll and selling off the parts. Who was it that once said the sum of the parts is greater than the whole?

Had there been no COVID, they would have likely kept them longer than planned when the 787 delays started stacking up in 2021.

Last edited by PHL; Apr 29, 2024 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Can you provide more detail of the ord-cdg suspension? When does that take begin?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
found the information. Looks like September so flights for family next month are OK.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 5:12 am

Yup, my JFK-FCO 10:25 flight got deleted today. Moved us to the 4:55 pm flight which we can't take. What a mess.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
How much of this is due to weak bookings and not just Boeing delays?

Remember this "exciting" press release at all of AA's new routes:
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...8/default.aspx

A lot of these cuts are related to cities that saw expanded service for the summer. Many of the reductions are also early seasonal stops - how are these related to Boeing delays unless the existing aircraft need to go (urgently) for heavy maintenance?

Many of the new flights from ORD and PHL at least seem to be lightly booked - you can get a Y seat for 27k mikes in July. I'm sure that's not out of AA's generosity to be selling their "summer seasonal" routes for less than the old MilesAAver rate.
Antarius and Cledaybuck like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
How much of this is due to weak bookings and not just Boeing delays?
Highly likely that several are, hence my quip of retrenching to LHR.

This is par for the course for Vasu Raja and his ilk. throw dung at the wall, then wipe it off when no one pays for aforementioned dung. We're on cycle 5 of this? For the next course, we will try our best to find ways to get alternatives to PHL to work, and when they don't, pretend that we're happy with it being a TATL gateway (and pretend to open an FL)
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Highly likely that several are, hence my quip of retrenching to LHR.

This is par for the course for Vasu Raja and his ilk. throw dung at the wall, then wipe it off when no one pays for aforementioned dung. We're on cycle 5 of this? For the next course, we will try our best to find ways to get alternatives to PHL to work, and when they don't, pretend that we're happy with it being a TATL gateway (and pretend to open an FL)
The AA crew's scramble to explain whatever cycle they're on and how that's brilliant is entertaining at least.

Did you see crankyflier's posts this week about UA's TPAC and TATL network? Lots of strong load factors to many places AA doesn't fly to...MNL, TPE, AMM, LOS. Yes load factor != yield but still. Naturally UA seems to "find" AMM before AA, even when RJ is in oneworld. But AA seems to only know how to fly to leisure Europe and LHR/TYO, not even oneworld hubs more broadly. I would laugh if UA starts flying and succeeds at something like ORD-CMN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.