Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No 'Premium Upgrade' offering with 'Earn partner' segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire

Edit: To clarify, title would be better as "No 'Premium Upgrade' offering when itinerary includes 'Earn partner' segments?

Before I call AS about this, I'd like to ask for The Collective's insight here: Is this an IT snafu or reflection of a stated policy I can't find?

As an elite, if I search routes like ORD/SEA, DEN/SEA, OGG/SEA, I see (as expected) search results with Premium Upgrade options, with Premium being the same price for me as Main cabin would be without status.

But if I start from a Southern Express Airways "Earn partner" location, my search results include only "Main" and "First Class", and I'd have to pay extra for Premium on the AS segments. Is this a known issue (and I'd need to call Reservations for a fix after booking) or Just The Way It Is?

Examples:
  • ORD/SEA vs. MKG/SEA (first segment MKG/ORD on Southern Express Airways)
  • DEN/SEA vs. CDR/SEA (first segment CDR/DEN on Southern Express Airways)
  • OGG/SEA vs. HNM/SEA (first segment HNM/OGG on Mokulele/Southern Express Airways)

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Apr 27, 2024 at 4:30 pm
Old Apr 27, 2024, 5:05 pm

Programs: Yes
In the brief searching I did (and toggling 100K / Gold Guest options), this seems to occur on both the old and new UIs. It may be worth reporting it to Customer Care, as I am certain AS will quickly move to fix things which are causing a loss in potential revenue.

Old UI:
Spoiler

New UI:
Spoiler

Old Apr 27, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I think it's just a limitation of AS's website. Same happened when I booked SAN-SEA-KEF, though it turned out I ended up in a rather high fare class anyway so it didn't matter.

BTW: after re-reading OPs post, isn't that what can happen here (if the main and premium upgrade fares are the same)? If the AS segment already books into a 'free PE upgrade' booking class, it shows as main, but you can select premium seats without any additional fee during the booking process. There's only a problem if it books into a lower class, then the only way to get around is to call in.
ACBLtd and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frankvb
but you can select premium seats without any additional fee during the booking process
Interesting. I'd only come across results that required payment for Premium seats in this scenario (Q and O class). Playing around with different dates & times, I finally found one with that did offer the Premium Upgrade without extra payment (S class).

But the other thing is that MKG/SEA searches present me with mostly crappy results, including lots of "+1 day" options. It looks like I'll come out ahead overall just booking MKG/ORD and ORD/SEA on separate itineraries.

I do still wonder if the types of search results I encountered are by design, though.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it may have to do with the fare filings … not every AS inventory bucket may map 1:1 to a Southern bucket, and not every bucket may have the same combinability rules

I also see this with AS/AA fares: Main Cabin only appears in a middle-level bucket, and F is astronomically high — recent example was SEA-LAX-DCA-SYR ($375 in N, $2000+ in F)
ACBLtd and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
it may have to do with the fare filings not every AS inventory bucket may map 1:1 to a Southern bucket, and not every bucket may have the same combinability rules...
Makes sense. Other oddities:
  • It seems the AS search results provide access only to Southern's equivalent of Saver fare, the cheapest/non-refundable bucket.
  • Southern has five MKG/ORD flights per day, seven days a week. AS results only ever include three of them. The one I think would appeal to lots of passengers, not just me, is never included in the results.

Originally Posted by jrl767
...I also see this with AS/AA fares: Main Cabin only appears in a middle-level bucket, and F is astronomically high recent example was SEA-LAX-DCA-SYR ($375 in N, $2000+ in F)
I see now that GRR/SEA search results (GRR/ORD segment on AA) are also favoring only Main/FC in results and often requiring payment for Premium. After several years of flying SEA/GRR a couple times a year, this is the first time I've ever seen this. Something's changed, it would seem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.