Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are BA planning to stop free water in ET?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 2:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Are BA planning to stop free water in ET?

This morning I read on Facebook that BA are trialling doing away with free water in ET to see if anyone noticed or cared.

As this Forum tends to spearhead any changes in BA’s service in general and catering in particular, I was surprised that this might have passed the good folk here. Thus my question is whether anyone knows whether there is any truth to this. Indeed, the same article says that they have stopped this on Euroflyer LGW. There was a thread about this a year or so ago, but it would seem that opinion was divided. Does anyone know that for sure? Do they hand out these snacks without drinks?
I am not personally affected way or another, but quite a few people here might be. Moreover BA gets enough stick for what is actual rather than what is someone’s opinion
becks1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not exactly correct, they are trialling giving a glass of water rather than a bottle, LGW flights already have this.
PUCCI GALORE, jmd, YacozA and 7 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:48 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Water has been provided as normal on all my recent flights, though on the LGW EuroFlyer they replaced the mini bottle with an even small plastic cup and when I asked for a refill later in the flight (when they came around to collect rubbish) I was told sorry there's none left!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Interesting. I guess BA could argue that the customer is still getting water. CIHY, do you know if this is an environmental driver, or a cost one?

However, with a bottle I can take a sip, put the cap back on and put it in the seat pocket. Nice and flexible. With a cup, one has to have the table down which is inconvenient if it's only there to keep the water.

Flip side is I can see there is a lot of plastic per ml of water with those small bottles.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC
I did post in the Speedbird Cafe forum the other week about this - but was rather jumped on questioning why I didn’t buy supplies at the airport - when I was simply pointing it out. wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where the PYOK article came from.

Anyhow yes a trial is underway on Larnaca and Budapest services, offering half a cup of water as the service. I did ask to feedback to the crew via the iPad that I wasn’t impressed with the move, or lack of notice on a 5hr Larnaca flight - but was told that wasn’t possible for some reason.

Crew generally weren’t looking forward to a formal roll out - which suggests something coming down the track. US services were also subject to a trial the other month - on wine poured from full bottles as opposed to mini bottles, not sure what’s happened there.
ReadystEDIgo, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Not 100% sure on the environmental impact but surely a carton or a can of water is better for everyone?

All the rubbish seems to go in one bag so I assume there isn't space onboard to recycle?
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Half a cup of water on a 4+ hour flight?

Wow.
jmd, MaxFlyer, jrm68 and 9 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:42 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Half a cup of water on a 4+ hour flight?

Wow.
At least there is some. There was nothing 2 years ago on my flight to Amman.

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Anyhow yes a trial is underway on Larnaca and Budapest services, offering half a cup of water as the service. I did ask to feedback to the crew via the iPad that I wasn’t impressed with the move, or lack of notice on a 5hr Larnaca flight - but was told that wasn’t possible for some reason.
Had the same on AMS - LGW flight in March. It's a short flight so couldn't care less. But on the longer flight, especially when one does not expect it, it is not a nice experience.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:47 am

"To fly, to serve" - half a cup of water. Pathetic.
jmd, vulle, jrm68 and 9 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not exactly correct, they are trialling giving a glass of water rather than a bottle, LGW flights already have this.
That makes far more sense than what I read. That might be something of a challenge on a busy CDG or AMS.
Flythe96flag likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
On my last Euroflyer flight FAO to LGW at the beginning of April the trolley moved down the aisle with no offer of water at all. I actively asked for water and was given a bottle and told the price. I specifically asked for the free water and received a cup and a scorn. I am growing to actively dislike Euroflyer.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Seems so odd to put a lot of effort into trying to distinguish yourself from the budget airlines / the recent past, and then to do this sort of thing which is straight out of the Cruz playbook and very likely to lead to unhelpful tabloid headlines.
Swanhunter, jmd, Jimmie76 and 17 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Diamond
Why not just use proper glasses, which can be washed? Why is disposable needed at all?
PAL62V, SxMan and Bluekjp like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m guessing the reason for this is either cost or stowages space.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
An early example perhaps of the “array of new initiatives to transform the airline”, as excitedly announced by BA Media Centre in March.

Are we soon to discover to find that the £7bn transformation plan only allows for one small cup of water per passenger on a four hour flight ; and is this really what CEO Sean Doyle meant when he spoke about his commitment to delivering “a world class customer experience”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.