Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequency of upgrades in 2024

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Frequency of upgrades in 2024

I had hoped with the higher minimums to earn 1K last year that there would be fewer 1Ks this year, and thus more upgrades. So far, it seems like I’m actually getting upgraded less often compared to last year 😡. Maybe about 25% of the time, and often I am using PPs and still not clearing. Has anybody else experienced the same frustrations?
Old May 4, 2024, 7:56 pm

I think more people are paying cash for first class.

In my opinion, the 1K preboarding group is significantly smaller than previous years and the upgrade lists are shorter.
SPN Lifer, wxguy, drewguy and 2 others like this.

Last edited by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS; May 5, 2024 at 1:34 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
What higher mins are you talking about? With the jumpstart bonus it was lower than what UA announced in 2019 for 2020.

0% upgrades for me
Old May 4, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
What upgrades are we talking about?

CPU? Domestic PlusPoints?

For international PlusPoints upgrades I'm still at 100% in 2024, same as most of 2023 (one didn't clear in 2023, although that was mostly my fault).
Old May 4, 2024, 8:38 pm

Programs: United 1K Member
Originally Posted by narvik

For international PlusPoints upgrades I'm still at 100% in 2024, same as most of 2023 (one didn't clear in 2023, although that was mostly my fault).
on what routes??
Old May 4, 2024, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik

While I admit to the same mentality when it comes to my own upgrade attempts, it's pretty special that United has trained us to think of it as our fault when we can't clear the upgrades they advertise as a status benefit.
SPN Lifer, narvik and leoo like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fumje
While I admit to the same mentality when it comes to my own upgrade attempts, it's pretty special that United has trained us to think of it as our fault when we can't clear the upgrades they advertise as a status benefit.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

But this particular flight had to do with Covid restrictions being lifted just before the flight, so naturally the flight suddenly got booked much more than I had been accustomed to.
I could have easily re-arranged a few things to make it clear had I not overlooked the obvious.

But for sure, it requires some finagling to make it all work, definitely agree there...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

I’m referring to CPUs and plus points upgrades. All domestic.
Old May 4, 2024, 10:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Bronco1983
Living in a hub CPU and PP Upgrades on domestic flights are more of a pipe dream these days.
Old May 4, 2024, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you could ask the mods to adjust the thread title (?)
narvik likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you could ask the mods to adjust the thread title (?)
“Upgrade percentage against expectation, “ instead of the actual upgrade percentage.
Old May 5, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kmxu
“Upgrade percentage against expectation, “ instead of the actual upgrade percentage.
I believe we already have a thread for that -- The Way of the Dodo

Even as a GS out of EWR I honestly rarely clear a CPU -- ironically my wife (my MileageMinus GS partner) clears more often than I do -- but she goes to odd places like PHX and ATL lol....
Kmxu likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I believe we already have a thread for that -- The Way of the Dodo

Even as a GS out of EWR I honestly rarely clear a CPU -- ironically my wife (my MileageMinus GS partner) clears more often than I do -- but she goes to odd places like PHX and ATL lol....
Wow. I assumed GS almost always clears.

ya I’m in a hub (DEN). Which is good because I always have direct flights. But sucks for upgrades. Kinda feels like 1K isn’t really worth it if I can’t get many upgrades…
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:32 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

ya I’m in a hub (DEN). Which is good because I always have direct flights. But sucks for upgrades. Kinda feels like 1K isn’t really worth it if I can’t get many upgrades…
5 years ago I would clear at 120 hours 90% plus -- now its virtually never -- I'm glad I don't fly domestic so much any more.... UA has gotten really good at monetizing the F cabin -- upgrades on popular routes are tough these days....
Old May 5, 2024, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

if 1K is about domestic CPUs for you I’d look for a different airline. That said, not sure the grass is much greener elsewhere tbh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.