Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any escalation for underwhelming compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Is there any way of escalation for a BA complaint for compensation? Either within BA itself or an external agency?

Short version, PVG-LHR in Premium Economy, my partner's seat was broken and wouldn't recline. 100% full in Premium Economy (and Business), so nowhere to move to. 14 hour flight in a non-reclining seat.

BA offered 5,000 Avios for this, which is less than a $100 value (using the Avios subscription as a basis on Avios value). Based on my past experience I think this is worth at least $500 in compensation which I'd value at ~25,000 Avios.

You BA folks may disagree and have better data points, I'm just going off of what I'm used to from United / AA, etc. I remember UA passing out $250 vouchers like candy for relatively small issues, definitely not a non-reclining seat. Is 5,000 Avios for such a big issue normal? Can it be disputed in any way?
Old May 8, 2024, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at the compensation thread:
What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

If you don’t think their offer is sufficient ask for what you think is appropriate. That thread may help you you determine what might be appropriate.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Have a look at the compensation thread:
What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

If you don’t think their offer is sufficient ask for what you think is appropriate. That thread may help you you determine what might be appropriate.
Thanks, I didn't see that one, just the one about UK261 compensation.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:57 am

Given that we have just been given 20,000 Avios (each) for no wifi or entertainment but with fully functioning seats that seems low.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think the way things work now - just observation - is that a bot fields the first complaint, uses a rule to generate a letter and sometimes minimal compensation, and most people go away at that stage. So follow up and a human should read it.

Yes, that's derisory for a non functional seat in WTP. Almost the whole point of WTP is to get a more comfortable seat.
DaveS, dvs7310 and noodlesSXL like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I got an abysmal 20k avios for the worst business class flight I’ve ever taken (11hr) Was told short staffed and basically that was the final offer. I wasn’t happy. I think 5k is poor for the length of the journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.