Wiki Posts
Search

Strange BAH booking - not ticketed?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Strange BAH booking - not ticketed?

So I made a BAH booking for Thailand from LGW over Christmas, return LHR, flight and hotel.

I paid the deposit (charged to AMEX card already I can see on AMEX site) but as the booking and payment was being processed, it redirected to the Flight+Hotel search page instead of the typical Booking Confirmation page.

1. I can see on AMEX site that card was charged successfully.
2. No confirmation email arrived with booking reference.
3. When I log in to BA EXEC account, I can see the booking with the 6 characters alphanumeric reference number as normal. MMB booking show as normal in the Upcoming Bookings section.
4. When I click on MMB it all looks as normal , there are the flights and the hotel confirmation section. But, there is a strange message I have never seen before:

We are unable to display your checked baggage allowance in Manage My Booking. Please check your ticket or e-ticket receipt to obtain the details of your free baggage allowance.

and the select seat option is missing. Hotel is shown as confirmed.

It looks like flight segments not ticketed? I guess need to call BAH tomorrow. What I find alarming is that I find it very likely that non frequent fliers could very likely just show up at the airport in December and be denied boarding having paid the balance in full. Weird. Will give BA a call tomorrow.

Last edited by OGG flyer; May 9, 2024 at 1:53 am Reason: Deleted the moaning bit as don't want to be the Moaning Type
Old May 8, 2024, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I should have mentioned this involves BA Metal on the LGW-Thailand-LHR legs, with BANGKOK AIRWAYS and MH flights routing to and from Phuket. (so LGW-BKK-HKT-KUL-LHR)

I had no clue I could book
BANGKOK AIRWAYS on ba.com (well, "book" is a big word for something that does not seem to have worked..)

Last edited by OGG flyer; May 8, 2024 at 1:17 pm
Old May 8, 2024, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Is there a ticket number in the app (beginning 125-) when you go to the details panel?

You can also check finnair.com and have a ticket receipt sent by email.
Old May 8, 2024, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Is there a ticket number in the app (beginning 125-) when you go to the details panel?

You can also check finnair.com and have a ticket receipt sent by email.
No. While the Booking is retrieved successully on the FinnAir MMB, when I expand the tickets section, no ticket numbers shown.
this is contrast to an earlier totally separate BAH booking I just checked on FinnAir MMB tool, to Japan, where the ticket numbers are clearly shown.

For the Thailand booking on FinnAir MMB:

Old May 8, 2024, 2:57 pm

I had this yesterday with an AMEX booking (via our work Concur portal).
Same baggage message, and also seat allocation greyed out on MMB.
Cleared after a few hours.
Flight now looks ‘normal’ on MMB. Baggage allowance now as expected, and seats from d-7 or pay now.

(It is a Select Pro ticket in my case, and the AMEX emailed ticket wording is a little odd in the agency text regarding baggage allowance. Almost looks like it has no baggage allowance, then they add in 2x23kg as a supplement.)

tl;dr - give it a bit and it may resolve
Old May 8, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Holiday booking not surprised it’s not ticketed - wait until a month before then start ringing - unless you can’t book seats
Old May 8, 2024, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by E14 26C
Holiday booking not surprised it’s not ticketed - wait until a month before then start ringing - unless you can’t book seats
Thank you but I don't think this is correct advice (and no, can't select seats even on BA legs).

I can't wait until just a month before departure to what is a pick season in that area. I will give them a buzz later today. I am a heavy BAH user, with dozens and dozens of bookings with them over the last 15 years or so (several per year), this has never happened so I know this is atypical.

Another strange message when I select "View e-ticket receipt" option: "Error Sorry, an e-ticket receipt is not available for the method of payment used for this booking."

Well, the new BA AMEX PP arrived yesterday and this was my first transaction with it (I got it to make use of the 60,000 miles signup offer). In the past I always used AMEX cards but had no BA AMex for like 8 years or so.

BA AMEX PP transaction went fine on AMEX end, got the standard 2 factor authentication popup while making the payment that went through fine and card charged as normal.

Last edited by OGG flyer; May 8, 2024 at 8:22 pm
Old May 8, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Another strange message when I select "View e-ticket receipt" option: "Error Sorry, an e-ticket receipt is not available for the method of payment used for this booking."
I am seeing the same message for one of my future bookings, and am also unable to view, print or email a receipt.

I phoned BA about it, and agent told me that everything looked normal (and ticketed) to him and that I needn't worry.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:39 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
What happens if you try to pay part of the balance? I had a corrupted booking that had to be recreated because of a glitch and am still waiting to get my bonus TPs because of how BA had to hack a fix (they set up a new booking but split flights and hotel…)
Old May 9, 2024, 1:40 am
Original Poster

*** RESOLVED- GLAD I CALLED ****

Still on the line with BAH team, the lady that is resolving this is very helpful.
I was right, no flights ticketed, deposit taken.
This was a "corrupt booking" that required a lot of back office intervention, including transferring the booking and the deposit to a new booking reference.
The explanation given is one of the flights (Banghok Airways from BKK to Phuket) was not "visible" by the BA system anymore. The booking is being manually recreated by the back office team and I am still on the line. The booking had to be recreate with an earlier Banghok Airways codeshare that is visible to BA systems

Just hang up, all sorted but it was a lot of work. normally they have a "Recovery" button on their system that automates fixing corrupt booking but in this case it all had to be done manually. the deposit will transfer to new booking within 48 hours.

Impressed with the quick recovery process, well done BAH Team
Lefly, Thax1, PLeblond and 2 others like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by E14 26C
…wait until a month before then start ringing…
As other airlines were involved in this, getting this resolved promptly was best; waiting can result in the space on the other airline no longer being available.
Misco60, OGG flyer and lorcancoyle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.