Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Hotels for women travelling alone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2001, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA

I would love to travel without my husband, but don't feel safe alone. Any suggestions for hotels or finding another woman travelling alone to hang out with?
Old Jul 8, 2001, 6:45 am

I remember reading recently about a hotel somewhere in Europe that allowed only female guests. It received a lot of media coverage.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 8:54 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Hi,

Are you looking to travel domestically or international? It's a little different at home than international. Budget or willing to spend a more but not really first class? There are usually adventure travel groups in most major cites. Have you done much traveling or do you just have a yearn to start? I've traveled quite a bit with other people and on my own domestic and international. Give me an idea of where you want to go and I'll give my free advice and opinions. Just remember that sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 8:59 am

Hi,

Are you looking to travel domestic or international? Going on a budget or willing to spend a bit more? I have traveled quite a bit all over the world. Most cites have adventure travel clubs that organizes tours. This might be a good option. Where do you want to go? Some cites are easier to "start" in than others. Give me an idea and I'll give my free advice and opinions. Just remember that sometines you do get what you pay for.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 3:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've traveled on business for so many years now, predominantly alone - no colleagues nor husband along, that I was momentarily surprised by the topic of this thread. Then I realized that until you try it, you don't realize how easy it is.

My main recommendation: stay in mid level and better hotels. I will only stay in hotels with interior corridors. Anyone entering the hotel needs to go by the front desk. I stayed in Dayton, Ohio, many years ago, and was only able to get a room in a motel type place. It was filled with truck drivers. Now, nothing against truck drivers, but I'm more accustomed to suits and ties! I confess I felt a little uneasy there.

Push yourself, try traveling alone, and you'll realize there is nothing to fear. I went to India on business a few years ago. I had an open weekend, and really wanted to visit the Kerala region of India. Yet, I felt edgy traveling as a woman alone into an area I didn't know at all. I mentally visualized picking myself up by the collar, shaking myself, and giving myself a little lecture as to my fear.

I went to Cochin, had a marvelous time, stayed in a wonderful colonial Raj type property, and subsequently introduced my husband to Cochin this past December.

So - try traveling alone. You'll like it, you'll find it easy, and you'll wonder why it was ever of concern to you.

Old Jul 8, 2001, 5:11 pm

I agree about traveling alone. After my husband passed away I had no choice. I do a lot of traveling for business and have not had any problems. Of course I have done my "homework" before I go. I don't think it is any harder then when going with someone else.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
MoreMiles:
I have been all over the world, and
had no problems. Now it would just be nice to find another woman who enjoys the same things I do, and unlike my husband , will spend hours at flea markets.

[This message has been edited by Georgia Peach (edited 07-08-2001).]
Old Jul 9, 2001, 12:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I too have travelled all over the world alone and haven't experienced any major problems (thanks goodness!). . .my suggestion is that if you don't like the room you've been assigned, then ask for another one. Your comfort is the hotel's job. Also, I've found that the Wyndham chain is VERY woman-sensitive. They even have several programs geared towards women travellers. You may want to check out their website. Also, journeywoman.com has some good recommendations as well. I agree though, you need to give us some more details re: your trip and then perhaps we can be more specific with recommendations.

Once you start travelling alone, you will realize how much fun it is!
Old Jul 9, 2001, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL 2MM
I have traveled all over on business by myself and often prefer to do things alone, but there are some things that are just better if you have someone else enjoying them with you. I have never used this site, nor do I know anyone who has, but it's something I would consider checking out if my significant other didn't want to go somewhere. (So far he's enjoyed everyplace I've dragged him)

http://www.women-traveling.com/default.htm
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:30 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I would agree with the mid to high level hotels. I travel alone extensively in the US as well as in Europe and have never had any problems. As in any situation, just be 'aware' of your surroundings both inside and out of your hotel. I also like hotels with open lobby bars. After work I sometimes want a nice glass of wine and don't want to sit alone in my room drinking it. I find lobby bars conducive to people watching and lacking the 'pick up' atomosphere of some closed in hotel bars.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 8:24 pm

dlpmmm this looks like a great resource. It might be a bit pricey for someone who does alot of independent travel but would be good for a novice to try out traveling. Plus, sometimes when you go it is really nice to share the place with someone. A good balance of US and international destinations. It looks like they go to some of the places in the off season and that would keep the price down.

Thanks for shareing this

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dlpmmm:

http://www.women-traveling.com/default.htm[/B]</font>
Old Jul 11, 2001, 1:33 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flaco:
I remember reading recently about a hotel somewhere in Europe that allowed only female guests. It received a lot of media coverage.</font>

A great alternative to hotels in Europe for women travellers is staying in a convent. A lot of them rent out rooms to women and families.

Also theres a lot of great information on Solo Travel, Travel for Women, and finding a travel partner at www.ricksteves.com

------------------
Have a great day!!
~~Missy~~

[This message has been edited by missydarlin (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old Jul 12, 2001, 11:16 am

HEADLINE: Survey Shows Women Choose to Vacation More Often Without Their Husband or Boyfriend

DATELINE: ANNAPOLIS, Md., March 13

BODY:
Thirty years ago, women primarily vacationed with their husbands, or their family. A new survey suggests women are choosing to vacation with other women more often than with their husband or boyfriend.
According to a recent survey of women travelers joining tours sponsored by "Women Traveling Together" in the past 12 months, 65% of the women travelers had left husbands or boyfriends at home to join an all-women tour. On average, the women surveyed took one trip a year with their husband or boyfriend, but took two or more trips with female friends or a group of women. (Women Traveling Together: 800-795-7135) See http://www.women-traveling.com .
Of the women surveyed, 80% believed that men and women have different interests when on vacation, requiring both persons to compromise their idea of a good time. The remaining 20% of the women surveyed believed that men are not that interested in travel and would be just as happy staying home.
"Men might think that all women like to do is shop," says Debra Asberry, president of Women Traveling Together. "But the truth is, women are learning to sail in the Caribbean, participating in archeological digs in the US, studying the legends of Ireland, and much more."
Women can find all-women tours for almost any destination, or type of travel that interests them. The tours offered by "Women Traveling Together" are specifically designed to suite the pace, the interests and the preferences of women.
Each year "Women Traveling Together" offers 20 - 25 custom designed tours in five categories -- Long US Weekend Getaways, US Festivals and National Parks, Canada and Europe, Exotic Travel, and Adventure Travel.
Upcoming trips include Paris and the Chateaux's of the La Loire Valley, An intimate look at Spain and Portugal, A Fall Walkabout the Mountains of North Carolina, and an Exploration of Australia and New Zealand. To obtain a complete list of tours offered by "Women Traveling Together" call 800-795-7135 or visit http://www.women-traveling.com .

SOURCE Women Traveling Together

CONTACT: Debra C. Asberry of Women Traveling Together, 800-795-7135, or [email protected]
Old Jul 12, 2001, 11:17 am

HEADLINE: A Website that eases the way for women travellers: Journeywoman site offers everything from country-specific advice to restaurant lists

SOURCE: Vancouver Sun

DATELINE: TORONTO

BODY:
A Website set up by Toronto resident Evelyn Hannon aims to serve the growing number of women who travel the world either with girlfriends or solo.

The site, www.journeywoman.com, offers everything from country-specific advice on dress and customs to names of woman-friendly restaurants.

Hannon, 57, consults sources such as flight attendants and frequent-flying businesswomen.

A few sample tips from the site:

- "My sister and I just returned from a two-week trek in Costa Rica. We did much hiking and walking and the best thing we ever packed was a pedicare kit. . . . Each evening we had a ritual of cleansing, lubricating and nipping blisters in the bud . . . We had the happiest feet in the group and we were never ever slowed down!"

- "Never take white clothing on any trip. It gets dirty right away and it marks you as a tourist."

- Inflatable hangers, available at travel stores, "help your hand-washed laundry dry much more quickly as they allow the air to circulate around more surfaces of your wet article. And, as a bonus, these hangers make a pretty comfortable inflatable pillow for use on the train or in the bathtub."

TYPE: General

LOAD-DATE: January 27, 2001
Old Jul 12, 2001, 11:22 am

Women Only Hotels Great article gives history of these types of hotels as well as a great list with ALL the contact information for the hotels....

Copyright 2000 / Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times

June 18, 2000, Sunday, Home Edition

SECTION: Travel; Part L; Page 7; Travel Desk

LENGTH: 912 words

HEADLINE: HER WORLD;
EVEN TODAY, WOMEN'S HOTELS CAN OFFER A SPECIAL HAVEN FOR TRAVELERS

BYLINE: SUSAN SPANO, TIMES TRAVEL WRITER

BODY:
"Young women endeavoring to surround themselves with the cultural advantages to which they are accustomed--whether their residence in New York is permanent or temporary--will find the Barbizon the ideal environment."

This appeal to potential clients is from the 1939 brochure for the hotel on New York's Upper East Side. The 600-room Barbizon opened in 1929, and for the next 50 years, catered exclusively to women.

Like many other women's residential hotels in big cities in the early part of the 20th century, it sought to provide a comfortable and respectable home away from home to secretaries and salesclerks, aspiring ballerinas and actresses. Its clientele included Grace Kelly (before she became princess of Monaco), Candice Bergen, the McGuire Sisters and Liza Minnelli (whose mother, Judy Garland, reportedly called the manager daily to check up on her daughter). The hotel had a swimming pool, badminton courts, a solarium, a recital room and a library, where meetings of the Barbizon Book and Pen Club were held. Men were allowed in lobby areas but not upstairs, and there were housemothers on each floor to make sure of it.

A room cost $ 2.50 in 1939. To get in, young women had to provide references.

The concept of women's hotels now sounds obsolete and even peculiar. But the old-fashioned idea is still appealing, and I would be happy to provide references to stay in a secure, reasonably priced women's hotel.

After their heyday from about 1940 to 1960, most fell on hard times and were occupied largely by low-income women. But the renovated Barbizon reopened as a hotel for both sexes in the late '70s, as have New York's old Allerton Club for Women and the Martha Washington more recently (with chichi new names, Habitat Hotel and Thirty Thirty, respectively).

L.A.'s best-known women's residence hotel was the Hollywood Studio Club at 1215 Lodi Place. Now it's a YMCA-run Job Corps dormitory just north of the Paramount Studios lot. The handsome Italianate building, designed in 1926 by architect Julia Morgan (of Hearst Castle fame), still evokes the good old days when a mother could send her daughter to Hollywood to become a star without worrying that her offspring would go astray. To it came such hopefuls as Dorothy Malone, Gale Storm and Donna Reed, paying $ 8 to $ 12 per night for a room, including breakfast and dinner. When money got tight, the club carried them to their next paycheck. (The continually strapped novelist, Ayn Rand, a longtime resident, once got a special gift of $ 50 from the club, but is said to have spent it immediately on black lingerie.)

The history of the 86-room Mary Elizabeth Inn in the lower Nob Hill neighborhood of San Francisco is less star-studded but still endearing. It was founded in 1914 by Methodist philanthropist Elizabeth Snyder Glide. Since then, the inn has helped single women trying to make it in the city by providing furnished rooms for $ 49 to $ 59 a night, with dormitory-style baths, a sun room, TV lounges and laundry facilities. "Guests come from all over the world and are women in transition with limited finances," says director Kae Lewis.

The Mary Elizabeth Inn is much like YWCA residence hotels all over the world, which began opening their doors to uprooted women a century ago. Today, some still accept only women. Others have become coed.

In the spirit of women's residence hotels of yesteryear, here is a short list of such accommodations:

* Oakford Darling Harbour All-Suite Hotel (near Sydney), 252 Sussex St., Darling Harbour, Australia; telephone 011-61-2-8280-5000, fax 011-61-2-8280-5050, Internet http://www.oakford.com. With a floor of one-bedroom suites for women only. Rates begin about $ 120.

* Naari Women's Guesthouse, DA/8B, DDA Flats, Phase 2, Munirka, New Delhi, India 110067; tel. 011-91-11-618-3163, fax 011-91-11-618-7401, Internet http://www .allworld-vacation.com/india/ind2.htm, e-mail [email protected]. Rooms with private bath and ceiling fans or air conditioners begin at $ 14.

* Hotel Hanseatin, Dragonerstall 11 20355, Hamburg, Germany; tel. 011-49-40-341-345, fax 011-49-40-345-825, Internet http://www.w4w.net/hanseatin/self.html. Rooms with private bath begin at $ 53..

* Basil Street Hotel, Basil Street, Knightsbridge, London SW3 1AH; tel. 011-44-20-7581-3311, fax 011-44-20-7581-3693, Internet http://www.absite.com/basil. For men and women; but in a private women's club within the hotel, doubles with private bath begin at $ 285, doubles with shared bath at $ 165.

* The Barbizon Hotel & Towers, 140 E. 63rd St., New York, NY 10021; tel. (800) 223-1020 or (212) 838-5700, fax (212) 888-4271, Internet http://www.thebarbizon.com. Rates begin at $ 200.

* Habitat Hotel, 130 E. 57th St., New York, NY 10022; tel. (800) 255-0482 or (212) 753-8841, fax (212) 829-9605, Internet http://www.habitat-ny.com. Rates begin at $ 95 with shared bath, $ 145 with private bath.

* Thirty Thirty, 30 E. 30th St., New York, NY 10016; tel. (212) 689-1900, fax (212) 689-0023, Internet http://www.thirtythirty-nyc.com. Rates begin at $ 115.

* Mary Elizabeth Inn, 1040 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94109; tel. (415) 673-6768, fax (415) 441-7451, Internet http://www.globalstore.com.au/maryei.htm. Rates begin at $ 49.

* World YWCA, 16 Ancienne Route, CH-1218 Grand-Saconnex, Geneva, Switzerland; tel. 011-41-22-929-6040, Internet http://www.worldywca.org. Copies of the YWCA directory are available for $ 5.

GRAPHIC: GRAPHIC-DRAWING: (no caption), NANCY OHANIAN

LOAD-DATE: June 18, 2000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.