Wiki Posts
Search

Jobs that have lots of travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 1999, 12:01 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Jobs that have lots of travel

I want to know the jobs of all of you out there that does a lot of travel. My son is currently looking for a job and he wants a job that has business travel all year round. Any suggestion?

Regards,
Empress
Old Jun 21, 1999, 12:34 am
pgupta011

Its not all that its cut out to be. Travel, once in a while to exotic places is enjoyable, year round business travel is very stressful.

Old Jun 21, 1999, 2:02 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I totally agree! After 1 year of extensive travel I was sooooooo tired of it....now I am in year 3. Jokingly I give my address as an AC flight#.

But, if he is looking for travel....maybe a pilot? :-)

------------------

Dorian

'The early bird may catch the worm but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.'
Old Jun 21, 1999, 5:40 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Pilot.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 5:57 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I think I learned that pilots don't fly so often ...

may be you should ask stimpy or merry for carreer-advice?
Old Jun 21, 1999, 7:19 am
Original Member

Or Celestar340?
Old Jun 21, 1999, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Empress, if your son has a medical background, he can apply for a Clinical Research Associate (CRA) position for a pharmaceutical company. CRAs monitor the progress of human investigational drug trials in different hospitals all over the US (and the world). He would need a solid background in a clinical field. He will have to learn a lot about law and the Federal Regulations. An entry-level CRA would travel about 80% of the time.

My question is, why would he want to travel that much? We all dread it after a few months.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 8:34 am
Original Member

Empress -

If your son has a computer background, he might check out consulting. LOTs of travel!

Some consultants are free-lance (free lance? freelance?) and pay all of their expenses, but with a higher pay rate. Some work for consulting organizations and the company takes care of the expenses.

Assignments vary from a few days to many months in duration.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Empress--

Depends on what type of travel your son is looking for... everyone here assumed he's looking for air travel, but what about a cruise ship job? Lots of positions available across a wide skills base, from ship doctor to whatever... (I use ship doctor because once I get finished with all this in about 5 years, a year or two on board ship wouldn't be too bad.)
Old Jun 21, 1999, 9:40 am
geo1004

kyklin:

Old Jun 21, 1999, 10:31 am
Original Member

burkey's excellent post got me to thinking, Empress.

If it's exotic locales and occasional travel he's interested in, he might also consider a few years on Kwajalein. This US Army base (~10% military, the rest civilians) has a wide range of job types, from divers to administrators. And, the contract is coming up for rebid, which means that next year, there'll be the usual personnel musical chairs, (usually) resulting in more open slots.

Most gov't contractors give single status people two paid trips off island each year, one to Hawaii (r & R) and one back to the states or wherever. Family status folk get one vacation. And of interest to US citizens, NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX!

When we were there, we traveled all over the Pacific Rim area, with weekend trips to places like Majuro, Pohnpei, Kusai, and so on.

There are other places with similar opportunities (Johnson Island, Diego Garcia...), but I don't have any personal knowledge of them.

Good luck!
Old Jun 21, 1999, 11:18 am
Original Member

How about investment banking? If my experience is typical, after a few months he will never want to see an airplane again.

------------------
Cheers,
Hong Kong Flyer
Soon to be London Flyer

Old Jun 21, 1999, 11:26 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

He, for some reason are very interested in flying which I don't understand. I've told him the consequences already.

He won't be a pilot and he is just a graduate from engineering. He is looking for air travel. He said he doesn't mind having a job not related to engineering. He said travel will let him live in different places rather than staying home 365 days a year. But, it's up to him.

What are most of the career of the people here?

Thanks for all the response so far, I agree with most of you.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jun 21, 1999, 12:22 pm

Within the engineering field, there are plenty of choices. Mostly it depends on the employer.

A friend of mine is a mechanical engineer and goes to various plants for the company he works for. He was recently doing some ISO-9001 compliance checking, and was living out of a suitcase for weeks at a time.

Outside engineer, some sales positions can require quite a bit of travelling.

The "romance" of travel has long since dissipated. I travel because I must. I enjoy it only to the extent that I get to meet some of our customers face to face instead of talking with them on the phone.

I suppose that if I were without a wife and children I might be able to enjoy it, but who knows?

------------------

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jun 21, 1999, 12:24 pm

If he checks some of the job sites (eg, Headhunter.net) and put in engineering and road warrior things might pop up. Or just road warrior.

Good luck to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.