Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Jobs involving air travel (revisited)

Old May 23, 2003, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

This topic was discussed sometime ago, and I looked for it in the search function, but couldn't find it.

What kind of career would you say involves a very high percentage of air travel and high mileage earnings, and how does one studying for a degree in a management related discipline get into a career like that?

Erik

[This message has been edited by Window_Seat (edited 05-23-2003).]
Old May 24, 2003, 12:16 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
President of the International Olympic Committee .
Old May 24, 2003, 8:13 am

It's not as much the type of job, but the company you select - If you are lucky you will be rotated in and out of Road Scholar assignments:

I am rotating off a 2.5 year assignment and looking forward to spending my FF Miles and Hotel Points instead of earning them.

In the first 20 years of flying never had a streak long enough (or had access to a board like this) to earn Status in the last 4 years I have earned minimal status on two and top level satus three years in a row

Old May 24, 2003, 8:25 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
If you go to TravelBuzz (which is where I'll transfer this thread) and search using the terms "job travel" you will get a number of quality hits.

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
[email protected]
Old May 24, 2003, 9:45 am
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
POTUS
Old May 24, 2003, 4:53 pm

I studies marketing in University and when I was looking for a job in graduating year I saw an ad in the paper and it basically said sales and frequent travel required and not much more.

Got to the interview and it was for selling cat litter made from recycled newspaper. Get this, it's called www.yesterdaysnews.com I took the job and spent 6 days a week traveling around the US and Canada for 3 years. Pay was crap, but fresh out of school and traveling on someone else's dime was great. I visited 28 states and 8 provinces repeatedly while there It lead me to my current job which only involves travel around Canada, albeit, 100k/year domestically

I think I lucked out but it was that simple for me.
Old May 24, 2003, 6:30 pm

Location: USAir Chairman's Pref, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, etc...The Beach, NC USA
Not a lot, but,...my job got me 188000 Preferred miles last year, about 390 with bonuses...defintely lost father and husband of the year awards...
Old May 24, 2003, 7:51 pm

NY-based Investment bankers seem to travel a lot, and in paid first class.

Unfortunately (?) some of the travel's gonna be on chartered private jet.
Old May 24, 2003, 7:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JeremyZ:
NY-based Investment bankers seem to travel a lot, and in paid first class.

Unfortunately (?) some of the travel's gonna be on chartered private jet.
</font>
Do you watch a lot of movies...i.e Wall Street with Michael Douglas ? Things have changed a little in the current economic environment.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:26 pm

As I've recently traveled with many, many bankers in FC and on rented G-4s, I think they're still "eking" out a pretty good travel experience.

New business meetings might not be so extravagant, but once they're on the client's dime . . . it's party time.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the Merchant of Death business (defense contracting). In my latest assignment, I started in 1999 with no status anywhere. By 2000, I was making two transcons/month, and then was transferred down to the DC area where I was flying every week. Not very exciting, but sure built up the miles.

That ended, and I spent last year (2002) living quite well, thank you, in the Hilton in London, Ont and made Diamond. I had no flights at all (USAir) until October - by that time I had discovered FlyerTalk, and the guys put me onto a challenge and I made CP!!

Then I got laid off. One of the hazards of being a contractor.

A degree and experience help, but we had a couple of guys pretty much right out of school on travel with us. Remember, people who know what they're doing and are also willing to reavel a lot aren't exactly crawling out of the woodwork. Single recent grads come to mind. Show them a good attitude and they're more than willing to put you on the road. Good luck!

Oh yeah - they called me back - I'm starting again on May 27th. Hopefully. it'e me and Willie, back on the road again.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Window_Seat:
What kind of career would you say involves a very high percentage of air travel and high mileage earnings, and how does one studying for a degree in a management related discipline get into a career like that?
</font>
Being an SAP consultant used to be a good way to do this, and may still be. Being a consultant for any type of highly prized IT skill where you have to move all around the country working on various systems would do it.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As I think I mentioned on the other thread, you should become an expert on a soon to be popular widget, find the right company that will sell the widget around the world, sit back and watch the miles accrue as you sell your widget to the world.
Old May 24, 2003, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
POTUS</font>
Air Force One may be the ultimate flying experience, but doesn't earn the President (nor anyone else) any Medallion, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus or other points.

I agree with other posters - if you have pretty much ANY knowledge-based skill that is in demand outside of your geographic area, count on travel.
Old May 25, 2003, 6:19 am

Location: USAir Chairman's Pref, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, etc...The Beach, NC USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WillTravel:
Being an SAP consultant used to be a good way to do this, and may still be. Being a consultant for any type of highly prized IT skill where you have to move all around the country working on various systems would do it. </font>
Have to agree here...I'm not an IT guy, ut I seem to meet them frequently, especially those with SAP experience

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.