Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Travel Jobs... what are they?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:04 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
The Travel Jobs... what are they?

In about a year (after some serious screwing around) I am going to be jumping feet first into a new career. I'm weighing options, but would really like a job that would enable me to travel some (or a lot).

All you FT'ers who travel for work, what do you do? Are you all computer consultants, or are there other positions that require lots of travel?

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated! I really want to work in the public sector (probably in DC) so that might limit my options.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I, too, made the rare mistake of not doing a search to ask this very question.

A list of threads pertaining to this topic can be found in this thread started by me.

You should most definitely find all the information for which you are seeking simply by clicking on this link.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:26 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
I, too, made the rare mistake of not doing a search to ask this very question.
</font>
Yes, one must be careful of the search nazis on this board.

Thank you for the information!
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:43 pm

IMHO, its pretty accurate to say that there is a big difference between having to fly and travelling for leisure. Given the massive budget cuts many companies have implemented, I don think biz. travel is necessaraliy all its cracked up to be. Unless you are extremely senior, economy long haul and 3 star hotels are pretty much the norm and can get very old very fast.

In other words, choose a new career for many reasons, but dont put too much weight on the travel side. I know plenty of people who are completely fed up with biz. travel nowadays and would love to be able to give it up.The glory days of full fare J and 5 star hotels are very much on their way out.... Just a thought..
Old Oct 30, 2003, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
My flights are backed with all manner of computer/business "consultants" and "anaylsts" or whatever they consider themselves. Of course, you don't have to be a technical guy or gal to fit into this category.

Are you *sure* you really want heavy business travel?? Like someone else mentioned, it's usually not glamorous.. It can be a real major grind, week in, week out. It's even worse if you always have to connect, especially if you are doing it through cities prone to bad weather.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 6:49 pm

Business travel really is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Lots of people who don't do it perceive it to be much more different than it really is.

On the other hand, those who negotiate it well are usually cut from a different mold than most others.

Look before you leap.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I would agree with others here about week-in-week-out business travel being a pain. However, I do enjoy the occasional ~once a month trip... I travel about 75% leisure and 25% business. That's perfect for me!

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Oct 30, 2003, 10:59 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
There are those who are willing, and others who are able. In my business, the people who are experienced enough to get the job done are fed up with travel. Those who are keen to travel don't get the job done. The result for those who are "able" is full fare business (and upgrades from there) and you can pretty much stay, dine and entertain where you like. Most people burn out after several years, and many of the rest come to their senses and stop traveling. The remainder spend a large percentage of their free time here, on flyertalk. BTW, I am in sales of high end scientific instrumentation.

[This message has been edited by divaof travel (edited 10-31-2003).]
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
business travel is fun if you're single and unattached.

otherwise it really sucks, unless of course you have a terrible relationship at home and want to get away, in which case you've got more serious problems than wanting to travel.

If I had to do it all over again, I would choose a job that does not require travel.

------------------
"If life doesn't offer a game worth playing, then invent a new one."
-Anthony J. D'Angelo
Old Oct 31, 2003, 8:19 am

Ender83,

you should take heed of the advice being given here by people who obviously know. I have probably spent more than half my life traveling over the last few years and would agree with much that people are saying.

I mean I write about some of the things I've encountered and strange incidents that have happened to me. They're up on my personal web-site

http://www.simplyjond.com

(check out the Archive in particular)

but whether these are funny or sad they are not the norm. Most of the time business travel is not romantic or exciting. It's just part of the job.

Don't know what you're doing now, but beware of the "grass is always greener" syndrome.

------------------
Travel well and arrive home safely,

Jon David
www.simplyjond.com - Tales & Things for Frequent Travelers
Old Oct 31, 2003, 8:43 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Am I the only one who enjoys business travel? My employer keeps us on a limited budget (cheap flights, FC only on upgrades/miles, Hampton Inn type hotels), but I do my best work on the road. I currently spend 75% of my time in the office, and am trying to get back on the road.

Saying that, constant business travel does limit relationships/family. Most of the people in my company who live on the road don't last longer than two years.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 8:54 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

There is a commercial currently airing on television by AT&T which sums up the current business travel experience quite accurately.

It follows a man on business travel trying to enter his bland hotel room with the plastic key, eating an unappetizing room service meal while uninterested in what is showing on television, sleeping uncomfortably on the bed in the room in his clothes, then traveling in the back seat of a taxi on his way to the airport, only to be stopped at security several times, and then seeing that his flight is delayed while sitting in a virtually-empty terminal. At the end, when he talks to his little girl on the cellular telephone, you can tell he really misses her. This is one of the few commercials that hits the mark for me and still does every time I see it. I can really empathize with that poor man.

Has anyone else seen this commercial?

Do a search in almost any forum on FlyerTalk and you will find similar scenarios and stories.

When I first started traveling on business in the 1980s, I thought I was the luckiest man on earth. Wow — I got miles for free travel, went to places where I have never been before, met all sorts of people, had Elite status in virtually anything, got upgrades, free meals, free merchandise, paid vacations, went to business functions and parties when companies went all out and spared no expense — the works!

Today’s economic environment is quite different. Elite status does not earn much anymore, companies are cutting back drastically, and business travel has become a real chore lately. Airlines, lodging and car rental companies have greatly reduced benefits lately in the form of increased redemption for awards, higher requirements to achieve Elite status, and cutbacks in services. The threads in the Delta Air Lines forum on FlyerTalk, as an example, concentrate more on how Delta is cutting back on the SkyMiles program than how one can benefit from the program. Although I still love traveling in general, I am actually considering giving up business travel.

There is always a chance that the business travel environment will improve in the future.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from gettin a job where one has to travel on business. Try it. If you like it, great! If not, you can always quit...
Old Oct 31, 2003, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
There is a commercial currently airing on television by AT&T which sums up the current business travel experience quite accurately.
Has anyone else seen this commercial?

</font>
I love that commercial--hit home for me, too. It made me so thankful that I just switched to a job with very little travel. To each his own--but kudos to the ad agency of AT&T for developing that goodie.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Let's see, here's my typical week this year with only 8 exceptions:

Sun afternoon, 3:00P: Leave home for airport

Sun eve, 6:20P: Depart on flight

Sun eve, 9:00P: Xfer to connecting flight

Sun eve, 11:20P: Arrive at airport, get rental car, head for hotel

Mon early AM, 12:30A: Check-in at hotel

Mon morning, 4:30A: Alarm goes off, get ready for work

Mon morning, 6:30A: Begin work at customer

Mon eve, 4:30P: Leave customer for hotel

Mon eve, 6:00P: Room service while I work issues for tomorrows implementation sessions

Mon eve, 11:00ish: lights out

(same schedule until Fri)

Fri afternoon, 3:30P: Leave customer site for airport

Fri eve, 6:00P: Depart on flight

Fri eve, 8:20P: Xfer to connecting flight

Sat early AM, 12:30A: Arrive at home airport, get bags, car, and drive home

Sat early AM, 1:45A: Arrive home for the weekend

This routing will start again in 37 hours!

Ain't life on the road glamerous! Sad thing is that this has been 'normal' for several years now Time for a new no-travel job!

GMF
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by boilermaker:
Am I the only one who enjoys business travel? My employer keeps us on a limited budget (cheap flights, FC only on upgrades/miles, Hampton Inn type hotels), but I do my best work on the road. I currently spend 75% of my time in the office, and am trying to get back on the road.

Saying that, constant business travel does limit relationships/family. Most of the people in my company who live on the road don't last longer than two years.
</font>

No, you are not the only one. I can't get enough of it. In fact, having not had any business travel for a few months, I'm currently bouncing off the office walls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.