Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me create the first class experience while traveling economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Help me create the first class experience while traveling economy

I wanted to get the help of the great flyertalk community. Due to last minute planning I am flying coach on a long haul flight (9 hours, 1 day break, and another 9 hours). Here are some of the ideas I have come up with to create my own first class while traveling coach.

1. Luggage/Boarding: I will use my status to check in at the elite lines and ask the attendants to add priority baggage tags to my luggage. This process should be the same as First class. Cost: 0

2. Lounge Access: I can pay upto $25.00 per passenger to access most lounges, relax, have a few drinks, snacks etc.Cost for 2 passengers: $50.00

3. In-flight entertainment: I already have a portable DVD player that I can use inflight. A headphone splitter will allow both of us to listen to the sound at the same time. I would guess that even if I took along 5-7 movies would be enough for the trip. Total cost of rentals, say $10.00 per disc, is $70.00 MAX

4. Food/Dining: As a vegetarian, I rarely like what's being served on the plane, and many times, they end up messing up my meal request anyways. I think even if I spend $100.00 on food that we can pack for us each way, we can eat better/or as well as first class. Drinks are free on int'l flights anyways. Total cost $200.00 round trip

5. Seating/Comfort: Obviously the hardest. A good travel pillow will set me back about $20.00, and a luxury blanket about $50.00. Let's say the total cost will be $150.00 for the both of us.

Total tally so far: $470.00 -- not to bad.

Can others provide some input on how to improve an economy class flight? Thanks

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Can others provide some input on how to improve an economy class flight?

figure out flights that might be overbooked in eco, your status might help to get a complimentary upgrade to first.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:47 pm

If you have status than you should be able to access the airline lounges as well. If you're travelling for 9 hours I assume that would be international. You've just saved yourself $100!

goodo
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikeinseattle:
Drinks are free on int'l flights anyways.</font>
SOme carriers now charge for booze in international coach (usually ~USD 5 per drink).

Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikeinseattle:
Can others provide some input on how to improve an economy class flight? Thanks
</font>
9 hours in coach? Sedation.

Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whirledtraveler:
9 hours in coach? Sedation.

</font>
Good idea, except some Asian countries don't look very kindly on some of the "sedation" agents. The status will get me priority checkin, but does not have me access the lounge as this is an Asian carrier that I am flying. I was hoping for more suggestions to make the flight more enjoyable, like first class.

Another good idea of course is advance seat selection to make sure that you have the best seat possible. Preferably an exit row seat with additional space.

Mike

Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Take a very tightly packed sleeping bag in your carry on and then unroll on a lightly used aisle

one flat bed
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:34 pm

Which carrier, which route, and with whom do you have what status?

IMO, seat selection (preferably exit row not situated by toilets) is the most important part of making long haul Y bearable. Additionally, if you have any choice in equipment, go for a 777 over a 747, as you'll have 2 abreast rather than 3 abreast seats by the window (unless loads are light and you can persuade them to block a seat).

Secondly, bear in mind that you're unlikely to get an amenity kit (and even with the Asian carriers such as SQ that do give you one in Y, it's really not very good). So take an eye mask, ear plugs (or noise cancelling headphones), wash bag and, most importantly, rescue some "do not wake for meals" stickers from a previous flight. It really can be the little things that count; you can spend as much as you like on a pillow and a blanket, but when you get woken up as soon as you've dropped off to sleep for a snack...
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Buy a bottle of your favorite alcohol, preferably clear. Put it in a plastic water bottle. Ask flight attendant for mixer (ginger ale, tomato juice, etc.) if necessary.

Voila- open bar, just like F/C.

(Caveat- the rules state that you are not to consume any alcohol other than that served by a flight attendant. Don't be too conspicuous about it. And the TSA may tell you to take a swig at the "security" checkpoint to prove that it's not an explosive.)
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:00 pm

Bring cloth napkings, and placemant--and real S/P shakers---maybe even a bud vase with a flower in it.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You should add a couple hundred dollars for all the DVD battery packs you will need, never had one that would go more then two hours.

$100 for food? Cavier?

Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Just deal with it, and smile a lot.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Was on the "Overcoming Jet Lag" program some years ago. My schedule on a Paris to USA (don't remember the port of entry)required a protein meal and going to sleep very soon after take off.

I stopped at a very nice chacouterie on Isle St Louis on the way to the airpot and picked up a half of a roasted chicken with a few fixin's.

Had an aisle seat.

Opened the still warm chicken, downed a sleeping pill about half way through, just managed to get the eyeshades and headset on before falling asleep. Great economy flight.

However, as I was beginning to eat an FA came by and jokingly complained that the smell of my chicken dinner wafting through the plane had forced them to move the dinner service ealier!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:08 pm
GG

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> wingnut said

...take an eye mask, ear plugs (or noise cancelling headphones), wash bag and, most importantly, rescue some "do not wake for meals" stickers from a previous flight.</font>
Good start - I suggest you have multiple pairs of earplugs to start, at least one spare eyeshade, and absolutely do not forget the toothbrush and toothpaste easily accessible. Also some kind of moisturizer; I use L'Occitaine because I have lots leftover from DL BE, but you want something like that - waxy, not too smelly...

Oh, and yes - slippers. You want something light but with a moisture proof or resistant sole (lavs are always Iffy, never mind 9 hr flights).

And for coach, extra bottles of water. I know non-US airlines are better about water service in coach than US ones, but you haven't said what airline you're flying, and you can't have too much water available.

Also, I Never leave home without my footrest (if I knew where my aunt bought it, I'd tell you - there's something similar, somewhat fancier at magellen.com). Yeah, I've used a carryon bag as a footrest too. No more.

Check your airline. Drinks are not necessarily free int'l in coach. If that matters, Athena53 has the right spirit, ahhem... By all means enjoy, I do (but drink water too!)

Take a good travel pillow, but an inflatable one - another no-brainer. The one I have now is from Eagle Creek (I think) - it inflates easily, and adjusts the air pressure by a button - works well - and has a nice fuzzy cover with a little pocket which holds my earplugs and my eyeshade, so I'm ready to play Pinball. It does take up more room in my "personal bag" than the old Samsonite inflatable pillow did, but it's really comfy , and actually works the right way around.

Blankets are up to you. I survive with whatever I find. The bulk they take up is significant - don't bother, unless you're taking a fashion statement wrap on plane with you, in which case that's your thing.

Food: you already know it's very good odds that what you bring on will be as good as or better than what you'll get served in coach, and probably than what the other cabin get too. So go for it!

Drugs: I Won't Say No... I sure as whatnot wouldn't plan a long flight (maybe not 9 hrs, but 10 or more) without some Ambien at least in theory. I don't even sleep with it, but I get decent rest. It makes the difference between having an OK day at my destination and being a sleep-deprived zombi.

[This message has been edited by GG (edited Jan 16, 2004).]
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I did this on a KE 777 w/ no inflight.. Just got a book, some sleeping pills, ate before the flight, snagged a middle seat in the 5-wide row with the two seats surrounding me empty, and the one in front, put all my stuff next to my chair, reclined my chair, put up the armrests, slouched, and slept for 6 or so hours.

Was quite comfortable. I had good KE experiences; don't understand why people say they're such a bad airline. Other than IFE, they were better than JAL for coach if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.