Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A comment on the Shinkansen (bullet) train

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
A comment on the Shinkansen (bullet) train

They drove me crazy. Who? Everyone.

Make a reservation for the train they said, otherwise you'll be shut out. Ok, so we made reservations.

When we departed Tokyo for Kyoto (pronounced Coy o toe), we booked a 0930 ish train, as the 0900 train was 'sold out'. Hogwash!

What I found out was that you 'CAN' show up for an earlier train. You may even get a seat.
Some train have only reserved seating. But many trains have a couple of cars with 'unreserved' seating. On all of our trips, where we decided to depart earlier/later than planned, we just showed up and got seats.

Example...Lets say that car 1,2 and 5 are unreserved cars. When you get to the platform you line up by car # (which is marked very clearly on the ground). You do this whether you have a res or not.

If you don't have a seat, you might line up at car #2. The Japanese are very organized like this. Being the first in line, rather than the 16th, would insure a seat...otherwise you'll stand.

I guess my point is that we could have shown up at the station earlier than our original reservation, if I would have known about 'how to obtain a seat in a non-reserved car.'

I think this bit of advice is new to Flyertalker. Hopefully you'll be able to save time in the future if your travel plans warrant a change.

Food and beverages are sold on the train by hostess'. It's very cute.

And it's pronounced Shin kin SEN, as in Wisconsin.

Dan
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
OK, what you are saying (if I understand correctly) is that a "sold out" train simply has no more RESERVED seats available. But you can line up on the platform for seats in the UNRESERVED cars, and any seats that may happen to be available in those are assigned by your position in line.

This is good to know. It's unlike any other trains I've traveled on (in Europe or North America), where there are unreserved seats you just have to search for, walking through car after car while schlepping your luggage.

Seems like Japan has a very good, well-organized system!

Does this apply only to the high-speed trains?

Kathy
Old Aug 9, 2003, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
OK, what you are saying (if I understand correctly) is that a "sold out" train simply has no more RESERVED seats available.

&lt;&lt;&lt; ... That's correct Kathy.

But you can line up on the platform for seats in the UNRESERVED cars, and any seats that may happen to be available in those are assigned by your position in line.

&lt;&lt;&lt;... The seats are un-assigned. Take any empty seat. Now if you happen to take an empty seat in a reserved car (we did that), it's yours at least until you reach the next stop...which can be 90 minutes away.

Does this apply only to the high-speed trains? &lt;&lt;&lt; not sure.

Kathy
</font>
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:08 am
In Memoriam

Dan, good to read you enjoyed the trip to japan and thailand! I also would have recommended buying green-sha(1st class) vs ordinary class pass. Having reserved seats in hand can be invaluable during peak season and peak travel times. I find for the extra money green-sha is well worth the price. I have been successful in securing assigned seats about 95% of the time. I have had to stand for hours w/luggage when I have had to make a particular train to make the airport in time for flt home(hakata to Nrt). There were no seats reserved or non reserved available(good way to meet and talk w/locals). Inbound to Tokyo on Sun night can almost guarantee standing room only in all cars. I suppose if one tries for an earlier or later train they take their chances as to seats. Would you please clarify kyoto=coy o toe & Shin kin Sen pronounced like wisconsin. Romanji is pronounced like spanish or italian. I have always pronounced kyoto=key oh toh & shinkansen as sheen khan Sen. I was also glad to see you liked NH & TG as much as you stated. I have only flown TG in country(C class) and the flts were nice. Nh I have flown(F class) Jfk-Nrt-Jfk (c class)Nrt-Bkk-Nrt(2 class) and NH was indeed a nice experience! Thanks for your reports!

------------------
UNITED WILL STAND
Old Aug 9, 2003, 2:30 pm

Have to agree with 1000k00 on purchasing reserved seats in the Green Car, especially for long journeys such as Tokyo-Hakata. 1000k00's pronunciations of the words "shinkansen" and "Kyoto" are indeed correct.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1000k00:
Would you please clarify kyoto=coy o toe & Shin kin Sen pronounced like wisconsin. I have always pronounced kyoto=key oh toh & shinkansen as sheen khan Sen.
</font>
Ok, Ok, so that was my New York accent typing.

Green car seats do cost more money. I think it's a little over 30% more on the 7 day pass.

Green car seats are 2x2 (first class), and ordinary car is 2x3 (a step above coach because it has plenty of legroom).
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Pricing info on the JR railpass is on this webpage (and other info on the pass is on other pages of this website):

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en02.html

The Green (first-class) pass costs 34 to 38% more than the Ordinary (second-class) one.

Kathy
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Experienced foreigners know to buy their JR pass BEFORE you go to Japan. It's much, much cheaper. You can travel in the green car for about the same price as a normal seat, plus with JR East you can ride the subways for free and don't even have to stand in line.

I'm sure I wrote all the details here on Flyertalk 3 or 4 years ago.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Experienced foreigners know to buy their JR pass BEFORE you go to Japan. It's much, much cheaper.</font>
According to the website I cited above and all my other sources of information:

A JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en05.html

Kathy

Old Aug 12, 2003, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually you can buy a pass in Japan, but you need a temporary visitor stamp in your passport. Plus it's much cheaper than buying individual tickets in Japan.

Here is where I've always gone for info...

http://www.jreast.co.jp/eastpass/top.htm

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 08-12-2003).]
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:13 pm

It was always my understanding that a voucher for the JR pass can only be purchased outside of Japan. Once you arrive in Japan, in order to exchange the voucher for the actual rail pass you must show your passport with the temporary visitor status stamp. I believe Japanese nationals living abroad also qualify for the JR pass.

If you can indeed purchase a JR pass within Japan, that certainly is great news.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Actually you can buy a pass in Japan, but you need a temporary visitor stamp in your passport. Plus it's much cheaper than buying individual tickets in Japan.

Here is where I've always gone for info...

http://www.jreast.co.jp/eastpass/top.htm
</font>
I see where the confusion comes in.

You CAN buy a JR EAST Pass inside Japan. That fact is revealed on the JR East website cited by stimpy.

But the JR East Pass is only good in the eastern part of Japan. The "all-Japan" pass is called the Japan Rail Pass. You CANNOT buy a Japan Rail Pass inside Japan. (The link that stimpy posts contains a link to the Japan Rail Pass website I posted and quoted above!)

For most of us foreign visitors, especially first-time ones, the Japan Rail Pass is MUCH more useful. Tokyo is in the east, but Kyoto is in the west. To use a pass to travel between them, you need the Japan Rail Pass, NOT the JR East pass. (There are also other regional Japan passes, I believe.)

Hope this clears things up.

Kathy

Old Aug 13, 2003, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Kathy for clearing it up. Yes I generally just get a JR East pass which covers the ride between Narita and Tokyo or Yokohama, the subways in Tokyo, and the high-speed train to Nagano where I like to ski.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.