Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Hotter, Hotter, Hotter! Finalized Plans for Palm Springs Gayla Jan 16-19, '04!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotter, Hotter, Hotter! Finalized Plans for Palm Springs Gayla Jan 16-19, '04!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2003, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!

OMG Boys and Girls!

<<putting on my queeny hat so this will sound as fun as it really is gonna be!>>

We have the coolest, hippest and, at times, the kitschiest Gayla yet planned in beautiful Palm Springs, CA., January 16-19, ‘04! We have some amazing things laid out, including exclusive-venue parties, door prizes, and a few suprises - all good!

It is not too late to join in the fun! We will take stragglers, maybe, if you are nice AND space is available.

Please note that several FTers, for what, we hope, are obvious reasons, are not posting their handles on this thread and we respect their anonymity. Please email me to be included anonymously.

If you are just catching up with us and just beginning to be interested in joining us, please read the original first post here. Also in that post are reviews of hotels, car rental ideas, airport info, etc.

This post and thread will help minimize reading for and posting and scrolling for everyone who wants to attend. A quick overview of the finalized itinerary(then see farther below for details):

Friday
Hiking
Pre-Weekend Party (jacuzzi-side)
Toucan’s Nightclub for dancing and drinks

Saturday
The Big Dinner Party
Bar-Hopping

Sunday
Kitschy Breakfast
Fancy Dress-UpDinner (Optional)

Monday
Who’s-Left-Lunch and Outing

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

REALLY IMPORTANT POINTS

1) PLEASE NOTE THAT A DEPOSIT IS REQUIRED FOR SATURDAY DINNER ONLY.

Please email me for an address to mail it OR make a credit card deposit by using PAYPAL: [email protected]. For info on making a deposit on PAYPAL, please email me. Know that PAYPAL is safe, secure and in the event that lisamcgu and I elope to Mexico, your deposit is gauranteed refundable by PAYPAL. PAYPAL does charge a small fee. So the PAYPAL payment will be $36.35/pp. This MUST be done by Wednesday, 1/14. After that you must email me your phone number and I will call you to set up an easy deposit.

2) ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO DONATE A DOOR PRIZE OR GAME PRIZE PLEASE EMAIL ME. (Travel related or not.)

3) PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR MY CELL PHONE NUMBER FOR AN ON-SITE CONTACT.

4) PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ‘DEFINITE’ STATUS BY MAKING YOUR DEPOSIT FOR DINNER.

If you are coming, but not to The Big Saturday Night Dinner, then please email me to confirm your status.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The following FlyerTalkers have so far responded as definites and will need to reconfirm with us here or with me via email:

Deposits Recieved/"In The Mail" for Saturday Night
catwood (his birthday weekend!)
dhammer53
ewormt
FlyByNight
Foady+1
gfowler-ord-1k
GoodKarmaGuy+1
LAX Gambit
lisamcgu
ILuvParis
Izzik
jock_dAAddy
kudzu +1(can't be at Fri. Party)
mjmsf (his birthday weekend!)(can't be at Fri. Party)
peteropny +1
Scratch+2
sdfun+3
Sin5Cents(can't be at Fri. Party)
sftrvlr(can't be at Fri. Party)
Viajero Joven
-----------------------------------------------

No Deposit Needed as They Cannot Make Saturday Night(but they are coming to Friday Night Party!)

1 who is not named+1
Aluminum tubing+1
The World Famous Arlene +2
Leisuremiles
Miss Kitty +1(friends of GoodKarmaGuy)
sdmuscleboy
umguy

-------------------------------------------------
No Deposit needed as They are Arriving Sunday Afternnon for Hike et al

MKE-MR

--------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER! WE CAN ADD A FEW MORE BUT YOU MUST EMAIL ME WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER ASAP SO THAT I CAN CALL YOU!

The more the merrier!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The long version of our itinerary is as follows:

FRIDAY-------------------------------------

-730pm “On the Ball” Pre-Weekend Party. (Please RSVP to me via email)
Dress: Fun casual. Read that as “Palm Sprigs Resort Wear”. . Note dancing later so make your outfit SEXY.

Everyone is welcome but you must rsvp to get on the guest list. “GUEST LIST” you say!!?? Well, yes. At this teeny, little house there are two gates to access. So, to get to this teeny, little house you must have codes and be on the listto get at the ....ummmm... the front. Let’s just leave it at that, shall we? << wink, wink>> You must also be cute. Ha. Just kidding. Also, have your bathing suit to jump in the jacuzzi. (This is a mixed event after all.) And, yes, we will be using your FlerTalk handle at the front gate. This is a “hosted” event by our very own Friday-Night-Lady and The LA Boyz. So be thirsty. Lisa, I will be arriving at this ugly, teeny, little house direct from the airport so please have a blond... errrr.. I mean a big...ummm.. I mean a diet coke, tall and iced, for me at 9pm!

1030/11pmHunters followed by Heaven! Dancing and Drinking! Woohoo!

SATURDAY--------------------------------
-630pm: The Big Saturday Night Dinner, Mileage Workshop and Entertainment. (Please RSVP by check or PAYPAL-see above).
Dress: Smart casual layers. Bring a sweater or that blazer you got in LON.

We will have dinner at The Villa. This is a beautiful poolside resort with big, fat propane heaters and a gas-lit firepit to keep us warrm during drinks. The dinner will be in a private room by the fireplace. Dinner will include games, prizes and suprises.

We have negotiated a very generous “table d’hote” menu. This means that there willbe a choice of entree (see below) and a suprise dessert. (The dessert is a suprise to you, not me.) The house has consented to offer a choice of different salads and soup, once we are seated, to start the main meal. Potato and rice choice will be taken then, as well.Fresh vegetaables will be on the plates. The salads are field greens with raspberry or balsamaic vinegar OR a ceasar. The soup will be the soup of the day and they will do a soup of our choice. Any ideas? I am thinking a gazpacho.They are all scrumptious. At least, I can speak for the ones I have tried! Yummy. Included in the $35/pp all-inclusive price is a choice of 2 glasses of chardonnay, merlot or cabernet sauvignon OR 2 glasses of juice or milk. You may have your two glasses of wine during the cocktail hour instead of duinner, if you wish. All coffees and teas are included.

Please choose an entree in advance -and inform me via email-from one of these four:
-- LEMON CAPER ATLANTIC SALMON
Sautéed in lemon butter, white wine sauce and capers
-- CHICKEN PICCATA
Chicken breast sautéed with a white wine picatta sauce
-- PRIME RIB
10 oz Cut
-- VEGAN PASTA

-10pm: Bar-Hopping, Dancing and Boy-Watching (or Girl-Watching in the case of dhammer53 and a few others). Locations TBD after dinner by general consensus(read: who complains the loudest). Now is when you get the engineer boots and leathers out of the trunk.

SUNDAY--------------------------

-11am: Breakfast and Kitsch (RSVP by Saturday Dinner)
Dress: Are you kdding? Actually, cowboy boots and dirty overalls would work here.

Omlettes, grits and shortcakes. Stacks and stacks of ‘em. Yummmm. If you don’t know what grits are, we gaurantee (y’all) that you will by noon on Sunday! Haha. The place, Don and Sweet Sue’s is known as the “Best Breakfast in the Desert”. It could also be known as “Waitresses-with-the-Highest-Hair-in-the-Desert”. But as long as they keep it out of our shortcakes, who cares? This place is 5 minutes up Ramon Road from Warm Sands. Easy and cheap... just the way I like ‘em. No reservations but rsvp with us at Saturady Dinner so we know who to save seats for and to pass out directions.

-12noon: Desert Hike. (Please RSVP to me via email)

"The Maze". For our desert hike, (figure 3 hours +/-), a docent of the Palm Springs Desert who does orienteering will be laying a route for us. Bring layered clothing, strong shoes (to deflect cactus spines scattered on the ground), water and a snack. Length of hike is 4 hours with shorter returns available. Hosted bylisamcgu. This is a very “desert” way to get to know the real Palm Springs and Coachella Valley. Fun, relaxing and healthy, too. And free!

-8pm: Fancy Dress-Up Dinner Please RSVP via email to save a seat at the table. Seating is limited.)
Dress: Smart Casual. Sharp jeans and shirt will still work. Dressing up a little more would work, too.

This is a smaller venue, Shame on the Moon, and dinner will be on your own. Expect to order off the menu and split the bill. $40, but could be more if you imbibe a good deal. Shame is reknown in PSP for food, service and “gayness” and is excited about having us come in. They have set aside 2 large tables and we still could vary the number up or down, so please rsvp early. We have reserved for 15ppl and 5 have already rsvp-ed!

MONDAY--------------------------
-1pm???: Who’s-Left-Lunch and Outing
Dress: Yes, please.

Anybody wanna have lunch and hang out? We’ll talk. PSP Air Museum, a drive up the mountain, The Tramway?

OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS(more to be added):

Don’t Speed. I was driving down Bob Hop Drive on my last vist. I did OK there, but after I turned onto Dinah Shore Avenue, I picked up speed without even realizing. (I WAS driving an upgrade, you know.) Luckily, by the time I got onto Gene Autry Trail I remembered where I was and slowed just in time to NOT get caught by the cops. It seems like there are more police here than anywhere else I have ever been! These avenues are wide, smooth and beautiful. They absolutely beg to be abused. Don’t.

Areanas Pronounced “AH - ree - ah - nas”. A street where you will find the little concentrated gay shopping area. Only a block or two long. Several restaurants, cafes, bars and shoppes(See Hot Music Store below). Hunter’s is here, too. (That is the local cruise bar). Doesnt look that attractive to me except on the weekends but I have not seen it in season.

The Tool Shed. Typical smaller town “levi-leather” bar. Whenever they add in ‘levi’ you know it will be pretty tame. Still, I have met some hotties here. Smoking area in the back, the obligatory pool table with the obligatory full budweiser cases used as seating/leaning props.

Revival’s. The premiere thrift store. When the wealthy dowagers die, (or when a Gay 90’s bf dates around, he finds out and sells all the furniture for spite), this is where the stuff ends up. All proceed’s go to the AIDS organization that runs it. Next door to Heaven.

Heaven: I have heard this is one of the best dance places. Open until 4am weekends! Yeaaa!

24 Hour Walgreen’s Pharmacy and Drugstore: Corner of Ramon and Date Palm.

Best Hot Music CD’s. For your rental car. The bigger store on Areanas across from Hunter’s. Also some great clothes here, too.

<<taking queeny hat off again>>
------------------
Just trying to keep up with the gals in the trailer park next door.

[This message has been edited by GoodKarmaGuy (edited Jan 15, 2004).]
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:11 am

Hello everyone. I first and foremost want to say what an awesome job GKG has done! I am so impressed by your efforts and detail! sftrvlr and I are going to confirm via paypal and look forawrd to seeing everyone there!
Cheers!
mjmsf
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GLD
OMG
Am I the first to respond?!
Just talking to mjmsf on the phone (as I sit waiting for dinner at the parental's house ... 1115PM PST)
Looking forward to PSP Galya ...
Will be there in a couple of days ...

mjmsf will be responding w/ $$$ from both of us ...

looking forward ...

BP

------------------
sftrvlr
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:17 am

Programs: BA GLD
And mjmsf beat me to it!!

We're in different cities and online at the same time ...

weird?!

See everyone in PSP ...
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We're confirmed. Should I send myself a PayPal?? Also, I guess I need to confirm 2 for Shame on The Moon - considering I picked it
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Kudzu + 1 are confirmed for Sat Night Dinner - deposit sent, entree choices selected.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Unfortunately, we're not going to be there because my brother has booked his 40th in San Francisco that weekend! I was really looking forward to meeting you all.

Hopefully this will become an annual event and I can meet you next year.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mjmsf:
Hello everyone. I first and foremost want to say what an awesome job GKG has done! I am so impressed by your efforts and detail! sftrvlr and I are going to confirm via paypal and look forawrd to seeing everyone there!
Cheers!
mjmsf
</font>
Well, thanks, but let's wait and see how this all goes, first!

------------------
Just trying to keep up with the gals in the trailer park next door.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:18 am

Ahhh GKG...your efforts alone and your attention to detail is outstanding..and even if 5 people show up, who cares...we will have a blast! Hope to see you all there!

mjmsf
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
PayPal deposit sent for Saturday night. Entree choice enroute via e-mail!
Old Dec 29, 2003, 2:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

YGM, re: address and stuff.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I sent money for myself and Sin5cents today on paypal.

The salmon sounds yummy.

Old Dec 30, 2003, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Hi everyone - I've been narrowing down the hiking options. No commitment needed right now, just wondering if there is any interest in any of these hikes:

HIKE 1 - Beyond the Living Desert Hike - this hike will begin at the Living Desert ( http://www.livingdesert.org/ ) where we can see all the animals and stuff, then we will go past the gate and civilization for a real desert hike.
Available - Fri or Sat noonish
Fee - $10
Ride - Yeah, I'll pick your *ss up
Xtra - Each Hiker gets a Custom O Trail Map

HIKE 2 - Bob Hope's House Hike - this is a hike along the Araby Trail and would be of interest for those wanting to bring a camera and get a pic of themselves hiking right next to Bob Hope's house. If we make it to the top of the trail, there are plenty of rocks to sit on and enjoy an incredible view of the Coachella Valley.
Fee - Free

HIKE 3 - Fun Nature and its Free Hike - this hike takes off from the Art Smith Trailhead and goes through Dead Indian Canyon (aka Good Indian Canyon). The Canyon is known for its abundant plant life, oasises and the occasional Bighorn Sheep and other wildlife.
Fee - Free

HIKE 4 - Anza-Borrego Maze O Hike - this is a little farther away than the others, but there is a way to sneak around the back of the desert (driving) to get there. After an easy hike through "the slot", a narrow canyon, one can either watch the antics from above or participate in this Orienteering Maze event that happens to be coinciding with our wknd. Using a map and compass, participants navigate these narrow little slot canyons (narrow as in if you have wide shoulders expect to do alot of walking sideways) trying to find hidden markers within a certain time limit. Those who choose to watch from above will be able to easily see the correct paths and the dead end paths - the better to appreciate the bumblings of those below. A truly unique and entertaining event.
Available - Sun - Leave LQ at 1:30 - Back by 6:30
Fee to Watch - Free
Fee to Particpate - $8 + $1 compass rental
Ride - Meet me in La Quinta and I'll drive

[This message has been edited by lisamcgu (edited Dec 30, 2003).]
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I like the ideas of the hikes, but i'm being non committal. I'd rather wait and see.

The idea for gazpacho soup sounds excellent. SWISS makes a good gazpacho soup in F. (hehe)
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:21 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Lisa - Thank you very much for all the work you're doing for this DO

As for the hikes, I was wondering how strenuous each are since I tire very easily.

Also, perhaps it might be easier if you pick one (or two) and just say that's set - I doubt we'll get any kind of consensus here online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.