Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2002, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond

As a low man on the totem pole business traveler, what more would I get from a high end end luxury hotel (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, etc.) over a lesser hotel (say, a Sofitel)

I understand the room would be *nicer* and fancier. That's cool if I spent a good deal of time in it. But what about *service*? How much better could it really be? What will a Ritz-Carlton do for me that a normal hotel won't do for me? I mean, check me in, give my room key. I use the room. I expect it to be clean. They make it up while I am away. This is what any remotely decent hotel does anyway.

So, really, what is the score? To me, it semms better to stay at a moderate place where they actually know me by name and take care of me, then go into a very high end hotel as a nobody (non- big time CEO, non celebrity) and get treated like a nobody.

Is it *really* worth it? I just can't see how much better a $300-400 per night room has over a $180 per night room.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Its all about atmosphere and service. Its little things that make it worthwhile -- i.e. they frequently DO remember your name and call you by it even potentially on the first visit (even if you are not a CEO). Its the quality of the toiletries, bed, sheets, towels, the food in the restaurant and/or club lounge. If you frequently stay at one hotel, many will STORE stuff for you and put it out in your room for your next stay -- make sure you get the pillow you want, the drinks you want -- -whatever. They could run out and get you a new shirt or computer cord or whatever at little notice late at night. Whereas a budget hotel will look at you like you have three heads for even asking. Like many of the best and most subtle things in life, you have to know how to appreciate them. IMO there is few travel experiences better than a flawless hotel stay.

That being said, if you really don't see the benefit -- if it really doesn't matter to you (either for one stay or all stays), than you simply should not spend the money. If you appreciate the difference -- it may be worth it to you. I say the same things to friends who can't tell the difference (they claim) between Starbucks and diner coffee
Old Jul 23, 2002, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Why would I ask a hotel to get a cable for my computer? Or a shirt?

I guess you have to be used to certain level of luxury, I suppose. To me, the toiletries at the place I stay are good enough. I'm a guy, so ultra fancy shampoo really is no big deal. They have nice, thick towels. The bed is pretty comfy. Food is good, but pricey. Nice workout facility. Lots of people there call me by my name. I frequently get a specific room that I like. They would probably even store stuff over a weekend or longer if I asked (other work associates have done this) All of this for under $200 Really, if I paid *at least* double per night, what more could I get?? Seriosuly, what am I missing?
Old Jul 23, 2002, 7:45 pm

I think that if you are happy with your current class of hotel you should stick with it. For you, quite possibly, the higher service level and added amenities are simply not worth the extra cost and will resent paying for them.

For many people, however, especially the very frequent travellers, the added luxurious touches make all the difference in the world, and make constant travel more bearable. Living at a higher standard on the road than they do at home (in most cases)makes it all a little easier.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 8:46 pm

"Why would I ask a hotel to get a cable for my computer? Or a shirt?"

Obviously it would be an emergency situation (items left, lost, or damaged) in which case you would be glad that they had a modicum of interest in your situation.

I'm not sure why you are even asking the question if you are happy with your class of hotel. I was explaining why I think luxury hotels are worth the extra cost -- if you can't tell the difference or don't care about the difference, then don't pay extra. Although I have to say in my travels I have more than once spent less on a luxury hotel than on near by lesser hotels (i.e. $75.00 a night for the Ritz Carlton in Singapore or $80.00 a night at the Four Seasons Las Vegas)-- in those cases I assume I don't have to explain why it is worth it despite having to endure the "fancy" shampoo
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Well, I was considering staying at Ritz-Carlton or a Four Seasons just for the heck of it, (on my own dime) just to see what its was really like. I was worried that I would be very dissapointed that my extra $200 or so per night would be a "waste". I really can't see them treatign an un-known gues any better than a "normal" hotel would treat an unknown guest.

Thanks for the input.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:22 am

Go for it. Weekend deals can be great at more business oriented locations -- I've gotten great deals from Fairmont, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. Check the web sites. Also the Air Canada weekly email specials always has weekend deals at Fairmonts all over the U.S. and Canada.

By-the-way, the Fairmont President's club used to be great -- for FREE. Separate check-in (like sitting at a desk and being offered refreshments), gifts (I always got the wine, which was actually decent), upgrades (got to a HUGE suite in New Orleans during Mardi Gras (and Valentines Day and President's Day Weekend all in one), LATE (like 4:00 p.m.late) checkout automatically ,etc. simply b/c I was a presidents club member -- despite paying the lowest rate for a room. Came in handy as it very much impressed g'friend who will be my wife in Sept. I don't think the program is as generous as it was. But it no case would I have gotten ANY of this at a Marriott.

So you never know until you check around and look for value. Good luck
Old Jul 24, 2002, 1:52 pm

Don't have the numbers, but I'd guess that even really high-end hotels make their money primarily off non-celebrity, non-CEO guests. So while there's no question that a celeb will get extra-special treatment, and the hotel may want celebs for the publicity, I don't think a Four Seasons would prosper financially unless they took care of their bread-and-butter customers. Now, there will still be a difference between the extra attention a regular guest would get, but I've found the "base" level of service to be excellent.

I find higher-end hotels to be worthwhile because you can be confident they'll get all the basic things right and on time--you can get your car from the valet promptly, packages will be held and delivered, laundry will get back on time, etc. You can hand a bunch of documents to the concierge with your business card and be sure they get back to your office. Check-in and check-out will never take more than a couple of minutes. Also, if I want room service, these places will have options that are enjoyable as opposed to just adequate.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I am a 'collector' of fine hotels. For me a fine hotel is a destination in itself. I'll go out of my way to book the best I can get according to recommendations from friends, Conde Nast Travelor etc. I just stayed at the Hotel Wellington in Madrid. Fantastic but very old style in the British manner. Subtle. Really fine! The meals were wonderful. Location excellent. Service the best I've seen in years. Worth it to me.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oldpenny16:
I am a 'collector' of fine hotels. For me a fine hotel is a destination in itself. I'll go out of my way to book the best I can get according to recommendations from friends, Conde Nast Travelor etc. I just stayed at the Hotel Wellington in Madrid. Fantastic but very old style in the British manner. Subtle. Really fine! The meals were wonderful. Location excellent. Service the best I've seen in years. Worth it to me.</font>
By that measure Vienna has some of the finest hotels. The Imperial and Bristol are both noteworthy and worth a special trip for both the rooms and the food. Service is supremely understated (and ever present).
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

-- Once you have tasted true luxury, it is pretty tough to settle for less--that being said, I could no longer afford some of the grand properties I stayed in when the dollar was soaring in the 80's. --Hotel du Cap Antibes, being only one example. Thus, when we have experienced and savoured the true luxury-hotel experience, we will search for great alternatives when that luxury hotel is out-of-reach. This is part of the beauty of travel. ..reaching and searching for the best and that which takes you closest to your most memorable luxury hotel experience. Thus, although, Hotel Du Cap might be out of my reach, I know that there are glorious small hotels, nearby, in Juan Les Pins, which will offer fine (but, not elegant) service. When the Hemingway Suite at the Gritti in Venice was no longer financially practical, I discovered the beauty of Grand Hotel Dei Dogi. Luxury travel is an end unto itself. It can be the be-all and end-all of what makes a trip so memorable. The trick is finding the most luxurious accommodation in your price range. One could stay at a Sofitel in Paris for the same price as the little left bank, Hotel Bel-Ami and not have the caring concierge who managed to find someone to repair a high-heel on my shoe 30 minutes before my reservation at Taillevent.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:14 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
The posts on this thread have been fascinating reading. I have a passion for luxury hotels but alas my teacher salary is a bit limiting in the way of what I can afford. I can occasionally afford the random weekend at Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons but that is the extent of my luxury hotel experience. Is there any way to make luxury hotel stays more affordable???

P.S. Your posts are really interesting-hope they continue!
Old Jul 27, 2002, 10:22 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kelly786:
[B]. I can occasionally afford the random weekend at Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons but that is the extent of my luxury hotel experience. Is there any way to make luxury hotel stays more affordable???

Take a vacation in Asia. Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia all have fabulous luxury hotels at very reasonable prices (usually well under $200/night, sometimes less than $100/night).
Old Jul 27, 2002, 11:20 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote:"Is there any way to make luxury hotel stays more affordable??? "
A couple of suggestions:
Try to travel during the "off season." (which may be difficult for a teacher). Yet,
Thanksgiving break, winter breaks can be a great time to travel in Europe. Typically, hotel rates will drop significantly after November 1.
2. In the U.S., look for weekend rates
3. If considering Las Vegas, summer, although hot, offers outstanding values (e.g. Four Seasons recently was half the high season rate).
4. Rates also drop in Hawaii just after New Years
Have a destination in mind & buy a couple of good guidebooks ( really like the Access books by Richard Saul Wurman) or have a look at Fodor.com
Also, avoid going to destinations during grand events (e.g. Wimbledon, Fashion week in Milan and Paris). Rates & availability can jump significantly during those periods.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
Is there any way to make luxury hotel stays more affordable???</font>
Well, not to belabor the obvious, but....
check out the FlyerTalk Miles forums for the hotel frequent guest programs.

You can easily obtain FREE stays at very fine hotels. Example: get a Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card and use it in place of whatever you're using now. You can redeem Starpoints for stays at St. Regis and Luxury Collection hotels (in addition to Sheraton, Westin, W, Four Points). Also, Starwood runs a lot of award specials and promotions. Example: the Conde Nast promo (half off award stays), the 20% points rebate for Starwood Amex holders, the "nights and flights" awards....

And these are only SOME of the possibilities.

(Not to mention that when you DO pay money for luxury hotels, make sure you are getting frequent guest credit towards future stays!!!)

Kathy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.