Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Loyalty Programs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Luxury Hotels Loyalty Programs?

Just curious here (and I've only ever stayed 2 times at such properties, so maybe that's why I don't know)...

Do chains like the 4S, Ritz, Mandarin, etc. track and reward guest loyalty, as they do not show any visible programs for such? Is it just done on an individual hotel basis or chain-wide? Or, people that regularly stay in this class don't want/need such programs?

Thanks,
Gene
Old Dec 17, 2003, 2:04 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GeneCMH:
Just curious here (and I've only ever stayed 2 times at such properties, so maybe that's why I don't know)...

Do chains like the 4S, Ritz, Mandarin, etc. track and reward guest loyalty, as they do not show any visible programs for such? Is it just done on an individual hotel basis or chain-wide? Or, people that regularly stay in this class don't want/need such programs?

Thanks,
Gene
</font>

There is a program "Leaders Club", in which the so called "Leading Hotels of the World" participate. For example Mandarin and Ritz are in there. Go to www.lhw.com to find out more.

[This message has been edited by daysleeper (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Most St. Regis hotels participate is the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
I think what Gene is asking (and a question to which I would love to know the answer)is do hotel chains that do not offer a stated rewards or frequent quest program, recognize repeat visitors through internal tracking systems? For instance, Four Seasons does not have an official program, but they seem to know a lot about me and I always receive great service. Now is that because I frequent the chain or because they just have consistently great service? I don't know. I like to think they recognize repeat business but am not sure of that.

(edited to fix typo)

[This message has been edited by rfletche (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 2:39 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I know that Four Seasons have recently centralised each individual hotel's guest database so that no matter which FS hotel I stay at my preferences are known and that the hotel can tailor their service to meet my needs. For example, I like my sheets untucked at turndown, jazz playing on the radio and the air conditioner on for a cool room and at the FS New York everynight after the first night, the sheets were left untucked at turndown, etc etc. 3 years later at the FS in Paris, the same treatment. Off on a tangent, sorry....
However, FS does track the amount of money spent by people and this elicits more "special" treatment, but I do not know exactly what.

Leader's Club is cool -- apparently my membership is on its way.... will keep you all posted

Cheers
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luxury:
I know that Four Seasons have recently centralised each individual hotel's guest database so that no matter which FS hotel I stay at my preferences are known and that the hotel can tailor their service to meet my needs. For example, I like my sheets untucked at turndown, jazz playing on the radio and the air conditioner on for a cool room and at the FS New York everynight after the first night, the sheets were left untucked at turndown, etc etc. 3 years later at the FS in Paris, the same treatment. Off on a tangent, sorry....
However, FS does track the amount of money spent by people and this elicits more "special" treatment, but I do not know exactly what.

Leader's Club is cool -- apparently my membership is on its way.... will keep you all posted

Cheers
</font>
Each FS keeps separate track of the number of stays and preferences of returning guests. FS have also introduced a central web-based system, but it only tracks preferences when reservations are made through it or their central reservations.

I have found Leaders Club to be great for the occasional "if available" room upgrade, but be forwarned, these benefits only come if you book through the LHW reservations center, and those bookings are often noticably more expensive than booking directly with the hotel - I have had member hotels tell me that if I book with them directly they can beat the LHW rate (they don't have to pay the booking commission then).
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marin 1K:
I have found Leaders Club to be great for the occasional "if available" room upgrade, but be forwarned, these benefits only come if you book through the LHW reservations center ... </font>
That is indeed the official policy, but I have received significant upgrades from member hotels by showing the Leaders Club card at check-in (and politely asking to be upgraded). In my experience, this card is just about as efficient for upgrade purposes as Starwood Platinum.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajnaro:
...showing the Leaders Club card at check-in (and politely asking to be upgraded). </font>
Hmmm, I have not thought of that; I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have time to read through this whole thread to find it (it's 8 pages long), but I believe g_leyser (who used to work at one or more luxury hotels) said that they do have a system for keeping track of at least same-property visits. I'm not sure if/what he said about chain-wide:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/007472.html

I remember reading somewhere that the major luxury chains can and do keep track of guests across their properties. I can't confirm this though.

The thread above is worth reading for anyone interested in the hotel business or who has questions.

d
Old Dec 20, 2003, 1:01 am

When I make a reservation at one of the LHW properties I usually make it directly with the hotel as they have the best promos. However, then I inform them I'm member of the Leader's Club and give them my number requesting any courtesy they are able to extend. I have received a triple upgrade plus flowers at the most and at the least to a late check out time.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 1:03 am

I can definately confirm that Ritz Carlton keeps track accross the chain. At one point in time I was staying at the RC St. Louis about 100 nights a year. To this day, every RC I've walked into has recongized my face, known my preferences, etc.

Much of this is very subtle, for instance when working in St. Louis I lived in a rural area, and never was ablt to enjoy theater or symphonies, so I always asked the concierge to get me tickets if there was something playing. The last three stays at a RC in the country, I've been offered (and once gifted) with tickets.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 4:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Almost all luxury chains have loyalty programms, they are however almost useless to the point that I don't bother to keep their cards anymore. The reason:

I almost never know where I am going to be the next day and as such I usually call the hotels directly from the airport to make a reservation. It works very well and although I am not a miser, I do not see why I should pay $ 600.- for the same room when I can get it for $ 400.- The clinch is, most of the time, they refuse to take your stay into account towards rewards because you are not paying the regular rate. At the end of the year I have stayed at certain chains up to 80 nights and not been credited for a single night...
Loyalty programms, as far as I am concerned are just made to lure the client to the same chain and boost its ego because he carries the little card in his wallet. The question is: Do you prefer value for money amnd a little more money in the bank or an occasional "free" night? My last experience: a "free" night at the Ritz-Carlton did cost me in reality the most of $ 2'000.- ...

Receipts and bills of the last three years available as proof.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 6:23 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magexpect:
a little more money in the bank or an occasional "free" night? My last experience: a "free" night at the Ritz-Carlton did cost me in reality the most of $ 2'000.- ...

Receipts and bills of the last three years available as proof.
</font>
Your rant aside, I really DO need to learn about the RC program - funny how it is news to me

Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Sorry, Sorry, Sorry. Got mixed up while making reservations for the RC. My example was for JW Marriott and the Marriot Rewards programm. All my apologies.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
When receiving Marriott hotel e-confirmations, there's a notation that states, "Ritz Carlton repeat".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.