Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What distinguishes a business-class hotel from a luxury hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2004, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Just a general interest question.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 2:29 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Aside from service and amenities, here are some things I have observed:

Luxury hotels usually use duvets and high thread-count bed sheets, while "Business-Class" hotels such as Hilton use rough bed sheets and blankets wrapped in sheets.

Also, at luxury hotels, in most of the bathrooms, the shower stall is seperate from the bathtub. Also, some of the luxury hotels use brand-name bath products such as Molton Brown, Aveda, etc. While at "Business Class" hotels, you usually have to stand in the bathtub, and pull the shower curtain in order to take a shower.

In cheap hotels such as Hampton Inn, the most common room configuration is "2 Double Beds", while at nicer Luxury hotels, it's usually either "2 Twin Beds", or "1 King Bed".

When staying at one of the Hilton Airport Hotel in SEA, I had to take their "shuttle bus" and then line up at the check-in counter and then carry my bags to my room.

While when I stayed at the Peninsula Hong Kong, I was met at immigration and taken to the hotel in one of their Rolls Royces. Just before approaching the hotel the driver would call ahead to the hotel so that when the car gets there, there would be a line of "staff" (including one of the managers who happened to be there) at the entrance waiting to greet me, shake my hand etc. Then one of the staff members would take me directly to my suite (bypassing the check-in counter) and complete the check-in procedures in the living room while I sip on a cup of Chinese tea.

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited Mar 03, 2004).]
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The distinguishing feature is price. The minibar coke will cost you closer to 10 dollars in a luxury hotel and closer to 5 dollars in a business hotel.

What should distinguish a luxury hotel is different than what generally does. In my opinion, a luxury hotel should have impeccable service, pay attention to detail and provide many goodies of value included without nickle and diming you to the point where a nickle or dime is more precisely counted by first multiplying it by a factor of 1000.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:50 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I think luxury hotels are about the guests' time. A true luxury hotel, IMHO, is one where when you walk into the lobby it feels as if you have left the outside world, outside. Inside the hotel is calm and serene, almost a timeless quality. Not all luxury hotels are like this. But luxury hotels save you time by putting all the options at the guests' fingertips. And, for that time saving convenience, guests will be charged (dearly) for it; many are willing to pay. For example, at Four Seasons George V in Paris, room service is 24 hrs without the annoying cover charge with a larger than usual selection of items available (not just sandwiches), concierge and business services 24 hours, 4 hour laundry and 1 hour pressing 24 hours a day, complimentary shoe shine, etc etc etc..... Luxury hotels tend to give you more personal space (not always), little extras like fresh flowers, fresh fruit, etc etc

The "value" comes knowing that everything will be taken care of; excellent service, if you are a regular, your preferences will automatically be instituted in your room (sheets tucked in, temperature warm or cold, classical or jazz on the radio, complimentary sparkling instead of still water bedside, knowing that you tend to sleep on the left side of the bed so that is where your slippers and mat will be placed, you prefer diet pepsi so the minibar is stocked with diet pepsi's, etc) and the Concierge staff will take care of all other details. At the Four Seasons George V, any postcards or letters we sent were not charged to us, nor were any of the numerous faxes we sent all of the world were charged to us either. Any item we needed, say La Maison du Chocolat chocolates, would be purchased for us, and charged to our account, but with no extra "Valet" charge.

Lots of these things most travellers do not want or need most of the time. For some, these services are indispensable. I guess it depends on what kind of traveller you are, whether on business or leisure, you prioritise whether to spend the extra (sometime not much more) over a business hotel or whether the business hotel is adequate to your needs.

Sorry for such a long post. My 1.50 worth!!
Cheers
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:59 am
Original Poster

That was interesting, luxury. I get what you are saying, but at the same time I think that those sorts of personal service touches you mention would almost make me feel as if I were being stalked. The idea that the staff would know and remember my musical habits, which side of the bed for slippers, etc. feels a little invasive.

From what you are saying, it would be possible for a busines-class hotel to have very deluxe furnishings, linens, etc. but still not be a luxury hotel, because the dividing line is that type of personal service.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
To me, the ability of the staff to discern when to "pull back", when to "become invisible", factors into the luxury service equation. I don't stay at true luxe properties often, but when I do staff attitude has made all of the difference, in my great stays (FS in Berlin, RC in Wolfsburg, Baglioni in Bologna) and bad (L'Europe in Amsterdam, a lovely physical property in the perfect city locaton ruined by haughty, uncaring, inept service).
Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:56 pm

WillTravel, thank you for your comments. It made me realise that "intuitive" service, knowing that some guests prefer to be smothered in that sense, and others like to be left alone, is the key hallmark. The reason I like Four Seasons properties when I am on vacation is that I like being spoiled rotten without feeling that they are making me feel claustrophobic. They are friendly, yet professional, and know when to leave you alone. The problem with many Ritz Carlton properties for me is that I feel it is way overdone -- that they want to become my friends but it feels "put on" at the same time. Some Four Seasons staff are like that in my experience but I find most genuinely very pleasant people.

When I am travelling for "not on vacation" (being a University student I don't have a job except my dissertation) or "when daddy is NOT paying" I rotate between Holiday Inn's and Hilton's as they are perfectly comfortable, I do not need clothing pressed at 3:00am or need 2 tickets for a top restaurant. In that sense I choose the hotel based on value, the cross between price, location, and comfort.

What was spooky was when a Four Seasons Hotel knew it was my birthday and my family swore to me that they did not let the hotel know!!

Cheers
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luxury:
What was spooky was when a Four Seasons Hotel knew it was my birthday and my family swore to me that they did not let the hotel know!! </font>
If that Four Seasons was ever affiliated with Leading Hotels of the World (or LHW's other affiliates), then your Leaders Club details would convey your birthday.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:01 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
I stay at a lot of business hotels, when I am on business travel, and a couple of times in really luxury hotels when I am travel on private reasons.

Well:

Business hotels like Sheraton, Westin or Hilton I expect a clean, rather big, efficient room which allows also to work, and a good bathroom, service, well I don't expect too much, everything anyhow is run based on time efficiency.

Luxury hotel:

I have stayed at a couple of them like some Ritz Carltons or Four Seasons, but I am coming of my most wonderful experience ever last November. I went for a weekend to Paris with my wife, I always had a dream of staying of one of these super hotels in Paris. After long searching, we finally decided to go to the Plaza Athenee in Rue de la Montaigne, the hotel where also now Alain Ducasse has his restaurant. I can only say wow, I always thought that e.g. Ritz Carlton is already top notch, but against the Plaza Athenee it is only garbage:

1) First the hotel doesn't accept any tourist groups nor does it accept any politicians ( no kidding ), they are much too worried with their normal clients.

2) You step in the hotel and your royal treatment starts, no hassle, no rushing just elegance, check in is so calm and then suprise, surprise they upgraded us to one of the Junior Suites with a view on the famed garden of the Plaza.

3) the hotel bar which is a very hot spot ( I have never seen so many models) is only open at night for hotel guests

4) Service: You never see it or feel it, but it is always there when you need it.

The list goes on and on, that is what I call a true luxury hotel.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 2:28 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ThWilmesi:
After long searching, we finally decided to go to the Plaza Athenee in Rue de la Montaigne, the hotel where also now Alain Ducasse has his restaurant. I can only say wow, I always thought that e.g. Ritz Carlton is already top notch, but against the Plaza Athenee it is only garbage:
</font>
The Plaza Athenee is indeed a fine hotel and Alain Ducasse is well deserved of its three stars.

A point of info however, there is no Ritz Carlton in Paris - I assume you mean the Hotel Ritz and I can assume you have not stayed there since it is a LONG way from garbage - although that would be a good way to describe the average Ritz Carlton when compared to either the Ritz or the Plaza Athenee

Old Mar 8, 2004, 2:30 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luxury:

What was spooky was when a Four Seasons Hotel knew it was my birthday and my family swore to me that they did not let the hotel know!!

Cheers
</font>
Have you said in this hotel before? Did they have your passport details from that trip??

Old Mar 8, 2004, 2:33 am
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
If that Four Seasons was ever affiliated with Leading Hotels of the World (or LHW's other affiliates), then your Leaders Club details would convey your birthday.</font>
Four Seasons London is with LHW
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
Have you said in this hotel before? Did they have your passport details from that trip??

</font>
BWatson, no, it was our first stay at this Four Seasons and they did not ask for my passport. If I recall, my sister did the checking in so at most it would have been her passport. I was not a member of Leader's Club then either...... the hotel must have gotten a head's up from somewhere..... puzzling, in a very nice sort of way.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:22 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
ThWilmesi.....great story!

For the record, you stated the Ritz Carlton chain and no inference of the Ritz in Paris.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I've only stayed in one "Luxury Hotel". The Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena, CA. It was very nice. Just a weekend stay with a friend to relax and enjoy the spa. Polite, friendly, and accomodating. But never over bearing. The hotel I stay at most frequently (a lot, really) is the Sofitel in Los Angeles. Comparable to good Sheratons, Westins, Hitlons, etc. However, they do include "luxury" touches such as Duvets instead of blankets, robes, 24 hour room service, name brand soap/shampoo, etc. They have bellman that will take your luggage to your room, although I've probably only taken adavtange of that two or three times. However, it's not in the luxury class like a Four Seasons or anything like that. Still, it's very nice.. Since I'm a regular guest, I'm known by a lot of the staff, and IMHO, that's better than being an anonymous guest at a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton.

Also, don't forget a lot of luxury hotels also largely as business hotels during the week, especially ones in business and financial districts in large cities. Also,larger resort type luxury hotels will typically have a great deal of meeting space, catering to business meetings, conventions, and events. There is a lot of cross over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.