Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Children/Infant Passports [Merged Threads]

Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:57 am
DH
Original Poster

What's the passport requirement for children and infant? Both my wife and I have passport but not my children. Do I have to get a passport for each of my children?

Thanks,

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:24 pm

Most international travel requires a passport...even if it does not I strongly encourage it.

You need a picture & original birth certificate. The passport will be valid for 5 years.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Get them a passport. Even if not required for some countries (and I think it is required for almost any place but Canada perhaps) I would never risk it. Both of my kids had them before they turned one. Made for some interesting looks at Passport Control when they were five.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
When our kids were little they had their own I.D. and their own travelers checks from the time they could write their names.

They would be assigned chores that were worth so much and thereby build up enough credit to purchase travelers checks. Then when we went to Disney World, they got to decide how to spend their own money. Sure made trips a lot easier not having to say yes or no to the, "Can I please have.........." pleas.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 1:55 pm

Both of my sons had passports as infants. It was always required for travel to Europe.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DH:
What's the passport requirement for children and infant? Both my wife and I have passport but not my children. Do I have to get a passport for each of my children?

Thanks,

</font>

If you need a Passport for travel so do your children.

"Do I Need to Obtain a Separate Passport for My Baby?

Yes. All persons, including newborn infants, are required to obtain passports in their own names."

Getting Passport pictures for infants can be fun! (It is alright to hold them up in the air for the pictures.)

Old Nov 16, 2002, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Sears does a great job for the passport photos and charge only 10 dollars!

Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
When we went to Switzerland last year, we had passports for my kids (9 and 4) done. We also scanned the photo page on the passport, added my mobile phone and my mother's home phone (she didn't go). We then printed it out in a reduced form and used those 3M luggage tag laminating kits to make a tag that was attached to my kids in some way...either a backpack or belt loop. This way they had all the information they needed to show an adult or police officer how to contact us if they got lost.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
My son had his passport from the time he was a couple of months old. You never know when you are going to have to take a sudden international trip!

We found that (purely by chance one day while shopping) that Costco was the best place to take infant passport photos. The cost was something like $7.50. What was great wasn't the price, but since Costco takes digital photos, we were able to take as many photos as necessary to get a legally acceptable one (and one that mom and dad liked too!). We found that lots of passport photo places still use that Polaroid instant cameras. If the photos do not turn out ok (baby crying, turning head, covering face with hands etc.), you are SOL and they will charge you for additional photos.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:02 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have never paid more than the flat fee for passport photos even though I had multiple shots done...
Old Oct 25, 2004, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
When do you need a passport for your child

We are going to be travelling to England with our daughter, who will be 1 year old then. Do we need to get her a passport? Will a birth certificate do?

When are you required to get a passport to travel?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We are going to be travelling to England with our daughter, who will be 1 year old then. Do we need to get her a passport? Will a birth certificate do?

When are you required to get a passport to travel?
You have to get one as soon as they are born if you travel with your children. We had to get one for our daughter who will be 11 months when we travel. You will need to provide birth certificate and proof that you are parent/guardian. Both parents have to go to get the passport or you have to have a document from the parent who is not present that basically states they give you permission and are aware that you are getting a passport.

here is the link for the application and tells you what you need.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/index.html

Just as a side note, it took us 4 weeks to get our daughters. We applied for it Sept 21 and got in about 2 weeks ago.

Emmasmum
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Thanks, that is perfect.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
My children have always had passports from infancy due to our traveling. It is also always a good idea to fingerprint them for safety. Just some advice I received from a long time experienced traveler.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
My children have always had passports from infancy due to our traveling. It is also always a good idea to fingerprint them for safety. Just some advice I received from a long time experienced traveler.
The passport office where I applied for my son's passport suggested that we get a certain sort of stamp pad and put his finger prints on the signature line of his passport, both as additional ID for him (if we ever had to prove it really was him once he no longer looked like the infant photo) and to prevent its fradulent use. We did that, and most of the customs officials who've noticed it commented that they thought it was a good idea. (he was about 9 months when we got the passport and not yet able to sign it himself )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.